Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

tu160
Topic Author

wotking for "internal hedgefund" in major bank

December 14th, 2010, 4:56 pm

how does it look like? Similar to prop desk? Is there any difference?

EscapeArtist999

December 15th, 2010, 6:18 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: tu160how does it look like? Similar to prop desk? Is there any difference?If this is a US don=miciled bank or the subsidiary of one, I would imagine that an internal hedge fund would have to be pretty autonomous fropm the rest of the bank. So no cheap funding or use of the bank's balance sheet. Although Frank-Dodd has not come into effect yet, I find it unlikely that most affected banks have not strted to prepare for it. I would imagine that working at an internal hedge fund at a bank will be a lot like working at an external one in the sense of not having many of the other edges that prop desks enjoyed at a bank. That's my 2 cents.

tu160
Topic Author

December 20th, 2010, 3:06 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: EscapeArtist999I would imagine that working at an internal hedge fund at a bank will be a lot like working at an external one in the sense of not having many of the other edges that prop desks enjoyed at a bank. That's my 2 cents.In my experience prop desks are very short-term oriented and classical hedge funds allow to do more research in more stable environment. Could it be that internal hedge funds collect all minuses from two universes?