SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

mot
Topic Author

Can a CFA help mom back to work?

December 15th, 2010, 7:42 pm

I am a mom looking back to career. Previously I have a MFE and about 1 yr experience in financial industry as in function of quantitative analyst. I am 38 yrs old with two children. I am considering to take CFA II as a knocking stone. I am not sure what types of positions can a CFA lead to. Would it be helpful for my case? At worst, would there be any opportunities for me in finance?Any suggestions are welcome.
Last edited by mot on December 14th, 2010, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anthis

December 15th, 2010, 8:04 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: motI am a mom looking back to career. Previously I have a MFE and about 1 yr experience in financial industry as in function of quantitative analyst. I am 38 yrs old with two children. I am considering to take CFA II as a knocking stone. I am not sure what types of positions can a CFA lead to. Would it be helpful for my case? At worst, would there be any opportunities for me in finance?Any suggestions are welcome.I support single moms.

katastrofa

December 15th, 2010, 9:00 pm

1. Work on your English.2. I think there are, but not in places which are looking for a naive grad eager to work 12 hours for 6 days a week. You can try such firms like Bloomberg or Markit, they also employ quants. 3. I think CFA is not going to help you when looking for a quant position.
Last edited by katastrofa on December 14th, 2010, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Costeanu

December 17th, 2010, 2:23 pm

Hi Mot, You are a hero, and it's a pity your welcome on the wilmott forum was not more enthusiastic. However, I'm pretty sure most of the readers feel admiration for you, but didn't really have an answer to your specific question. So, in my opinion, I think CFA won't help much. It takes a lot of time to prepare for the exam, and this time can be better spent. What exactly did you do in your quant position? Maybe you should try to first brush up on the skills you acquired for that job, and then try to build up from there. Best wishes,V. P.S. As for "working on your English", don't worry about that. Many (if not most of the) quants are not native English speakers. If you understant what people tell you and can make yourself understood, it's going to be ok, regardless of the verb tenses you use.

katastrofa

December 17th, 2010, 5:07 pm

Not really, quants are also expected to document what they do and also interviewers like to listen to someone who speaks proper English. Most of the quants I know are not native English speakers, but they all use proper tenses.I didn't want to be mean -- it's just better to be told this on wilmott.com forum than by a disappointed interviewer.

AlgoQuant

December 17th, 2010, 7:09 pm

I guess there are very few people on this forum (perhaps even in the wider quant community) who have a relevant experience to share with you mot. Thus do not be discouraged and do your best...If by CFA you want to demonstrate your initiative, in my opinion, the cost-reward equation here is tilted towards cost. Not that it would not help, but it is not as much as you perhaps imagine. Instead, I suggest start refreshing your knowledge and then devote your time to networking (through your MFE program, alumni network, your former employer and cold-calling). Join LinkedIn (if you have not done so yet), there you can find groups such as women in finance who will probably be able to help you. Just my 2cent

DominicConnor

December 17th, 2010, 9:39 pm

With respect, it's the wrong question...What are you good at ?

tagoma

December 19th, 2010, 10:53 am

wilmotter above gave various hints (networking, questions to ask to yourself ... ).maybe you'd like to read that it is feasible to be a mom and a quant at the same time :http://www.quantnet.com/my-journey-to-be-a-quant/btw, be prepared to struggle to get the job of your dreams.the quant finance only retains the smarts and braves.moreover, the market for labor doesn't really like 25+ .feel free to be arrogant. you should improve your english, so that feeling at ease the day you would be interviewed for a job. c'est dommage de louper un entretien d'embauche pour un poste dans la finance à cause de l'anglais/américain !go ahead. and keep us updated.

ThinkDifferent

December 19th, 2010, 12:14 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofa1. Work on your English.LOL and this is coming from a polish guy with half-broken English? CFA would be a waste of time/effort/money unless you are targeting positions other than quants. try to network a lot, get in touch with recruiters, prepare for interviews now while it is (December) a quiet time on job market. and start interviewing beginning of new year. Another option is to get divorced and ask Anthis for help.
Last edited by ThinkDifferent on December 18th, 2010, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katastrofa

December 19th, 2010, 1:17 pm

@TDI'm not Polish, I'm Lithuanian.

ppauper

December 19th, 2010, 2:48 pm

CFA is aimed at fundamental analysis rather than quantitative analysis, although some quants do take it when they tire of quanting and want to move up the management ladderYou say you have a year's experience. That experience is your main selling point, although a long gap since may be harmful.My suggestion would be to contact your previous employer and see if you can get back in there, and if folks you knew from there have moved on, try to contact them

Hansi

December 19th, 2010, 5:06 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: edouardmoreover, the market for labor doesn't really like 25+ .What does that mean?QuoteOriginally posted by: edouardfeel free to be arrogant. I disagree.

tu160

December 20th, 2010, 3:11 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofa2. I think there are, but not in places which are looking for a naive grad eager to work 12 hours for 6 days a week. You can try such firms like Bloomberg or Markit, they also employ quants. .Basically there are zillions of hedge fund startups. They will be happy to pay minimum wage for basic data crunching (assuming you have work-permit). In 1-2 years after you rebuild your resume you could upgrade your job.
Last edited by tu160 on December 19th, 2010, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meniscus

December 23rd, 2010, 9:50 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: AnthisQuoteOriginally posted by: motAny suggestions are welcome.I support single moms.Yeah ,but she didn't say she was in fact 'single'.Interesting to know if you'd still support her if she wasn't single?

traderjoe1976

December 23rd, 2010, 10:51 pm

Instead of preparing for CFA, it is better to spend 3 weeks in revising the MFE course materials and preparing your mind for the technical quant interviews. The interview questions will be more from MFE course materials which you already have and not from CFA course materials.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On