Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

katastrofa

bored to death in physics but have prospects...

December 17th, 2010, 5:10 pm

Job market in science now is at its lowest. It can't really be worse in 5-10 years.

selimons
Topic Author

December 17th, 2010, 10:01 pm

It's very difficult to see the academic job market in science. I agree that it's the worst so far at the moment, but I think it can get even worse. I have the impression that the number of grad students and post-docs are outnumbering the available positions, and the deficit is growing with every passing year.For the nanotechnology, I don't know if the field is going to deliver the promises it had. I mean there are a lot of hype going, and with little returns, the generous funding we experience may get cut down. Most people liken the field to semiconductor electronics, but I have the fear that it may look more like polymer science. In financial jargon, I am inclined to take a short position on the future of the field DevonFangs, I would be interested in looking at the material that you deem inspiring. Please, let me know.
Last edited by selimons on December 16th, 2010, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plus

December 18th, 2010, 3:16 pm

Well, it is the field that will produce the nanotech assembler - reducing all manufacturing to information and raw materials.Nanomedicine could be potentially be used to treat 99% of all diseases as well as the aging process, vastly extending human life.Therefore, if I was situated in the right place like the OP, then I would certainly be prepared to take a long position in the future of the field.