SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

oracle1
Topic Author

recruiter not responding after passing interviews

December 16th, 2010, 6:37 pm

Is it possible that a recruiter sends you to interviews which you pass, but then does not organise the last stage interview for some reason? If so, what can I do about it?I had two very successful interviews for a well known company where I was told I passed both of them but now my recruiter ignores my questions and gives evasive answers when I try to find out when the last stage interview will be.thanks

DevonFangs

December 16th, 2010, 8:57 pm

How long has it been since then? Sometimes the hiring process is mighty slow, and generally the recruiter gets back to you only when the interview is arranged.

katastrofa

December 17th, 2010, 5:10 pm

@oracle1Maybe you didn't pass them after all.

DominicConnor

December 17th, 2010, 9:42 pm

K's right, we HH's are motivated by greed, and we don't get paid until you start the job.This is a dodgy time of year, budgets are unclear, headcount is partly a function of random people leaving, and all sort of bureaucratic guff is competing for managers time.

tu160

December 18th, 2010, 3:54 am

The little secret is that interviewers don't like to tell you if you miserably fail. Table could turn and your interviewer could be job seeker and answer your questions. So everybody looks happy and some glitch in the system is to be blamed.

DevonFangs

December 18th, 2010, 10:42 am

Are you sure? When I was looking for a first job and miserably failed my first interview they didn't hesitate to say it to my face

DevonFangs

December 18th, 2010, 10:46 am

Which was BTW much better than not hearing anything from the interviewer or the recruiter. Recruiters often seem having problems responding emails.

oracle1
Topic Author

December 18th, 2010, 10:47 am

Thanks for your replies. I'm going to find out how miserably I failed by calling them up directly

tu160

December 19th, 2010, 4:38 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsAre you sure? When I was looking for a first job and miserably failed my first interview they didn't hesitate to say it to my face Senior guy can do this because he will retire before you reach comparable level. Or some juniors to make their miserable life less miserable. Adequate people do not take unnecessary risks.

mj

December 22nd, 2010, 10:40 pm

When I was interviewing junior people, I did generally let them know if they did badly at the time. I saw it as an opportunity to give them some honest feedback in order to help them get a job. I felt it was better for them if they had the advice on what they needed to learn and to be able to do, directly from me rather than getting a HH-distilled version. Some of them definitely appreciated it, perhaps others hated me for it. Most of the candidates failed on their preparation rather than their intellect.

endian675

December 23rd, 2010, 10:51 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: oracle1Thanks for your replies. I'm going to find out how miserably I failed by calling them up directly Er, that's a big mistake. You get labelled as stalker and immediately binned, even if you were in line for a job. Just keep interviewing elsewhere then if/when this offer comes up, you might have one or two other offers in hand, leaving you in a strong position.

yuryr

December 23rd, 2010, 11:08 am

I would advise not to annoy the HH if they don't come back to you and don't respond to a couple of attempts to contact them.This situation happens either because you failed miserably or because there is no job for you on this occassion for any reason. It could be the case that people invited you for an interview without having an opening at all - there was only one way information exchange and this is it. Good HH should be able to give some feedback, not not all are so good...In either case it is not in your interests to bug him/her anymore. Move on and don't waste your time.

meniscus

December 23rd, 2010, 10:10 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: yuryrI would advise not to annoy the HH if they don't come back to you and don't respond to a couple of attempts to contact them.This situation happens either because you failed miserably or because there is no job for you on this occassion for any reason. It could be the case that people invited you for an interview without having an opening at all - there was only one way information exchange and this is it. Good HH should be able to give some feedback, not not all are so good...In either case it is not in your interests to bug him/her anymore. Move on and don't waste your time.I second this. The headhunter may seem arrogant of even downright spiteful to you for not replying but they have many other candidates on their books and you're just another disposable asset that hasn't bourne fruit (i.e. fees for the recuiter).Don't take it personally. I know this can be hard especially if you've just gone through an interview process of some kind but you don't want to be seen by the recuiter as being a leech of some sort. It seems that some of these recuiters after dealing with banking staff every day as part of their clientele seem to have those much maligned traits of bankers brush off onto them - heck,some of them from personal experience think they're almost bankers themselves.In fact they're just merely *ankers with a lowly arts degree that couldn't get a job elsewhere.My advice is to just move on.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On