Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

legacy
Topic Author

Value of CFA in Buy-side

January 1st, 2011, 7:21 pm

Dear Fellow,I'm currently contemplating whether I should complete the CFA certification and if it could help me in the future. I'm currently working as a financial engineer and hold an MS in quant finance from a top MFE program. Honestly, I don't think I can learn anything much from the CFA curriculum except probably some accounting (I am dealing with exotic products, modeling, and a bit of time series analysis at my current job), but I'm wondering if the certification itself could bring substantial benefit if I'm going to buy-side in the future (both in and outside US). Since the curriculum itself is not particularly light, I could spend the same effort and time on learning more relevant stuff to my current job instead. I just don't want to waste my time to learn stuff that I already know mostly only for certification unless career-wise justified.Can somebody please enlighten me on this ?Thanks,L

Maelo

Value of CFA in Buy-side

January 2nd, 2011, 6:13 am

If you already know it, probably you can either skip it or glance it, no?

ArthurDent

Value of CFA in Buy-side

January 4th, 2011, 12:20 pm

If you want to be in the investment advisory business, not having the CFA will hurt your credibility in front of clients simply because everyone else will have it.

DominicConnor

Value of CFA in Buy-side

January 7th, 2011, 9:33 am

Be aware that 7City are offering some free CFA scholarships: http://www.linkedin.com/groupItem?view= ... m=39377038]
Last edited by DominicConnor on January 6th, 2011, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

legacy
Topic Author

Value of CFA in Buy-side

January 8th, 2011, 5:13 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ArthurDentIf you want to be in the investment advisory business, not having the CFA will hurt your credibility in front of clients simply because everyone else will have it.This is indeed what I'd like to know more, i.e. is CFA certification acknowledged in the buyside to the extent that it will help beyond a single line on resume.

legacy
Topic Author

Value of CFA in Buy-side

January 8th, 2011, 5:14 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DominicConnorBe aware that 7City are offering some free CFA scholarships: http://www.linkedin.com/groupItem?view= ... m=39377038]Thanks Dominic, money is not an issue since my firm will fully pay me the expense of the certification, i'm only concerned the opportunity cost, since I can learn something something else for every hour i spent on CFA curriculum

Gmike2000

Value of CFA in Buy-side

January 8th, 2011, 11:37 pm

Are you kidding, the CFA is a lot more recognized on the buy side than on the sell side.There are some big buy side firms that (gently and unofficially) require you to get the CFA, ahem I mean become a CFA charterholder, in order to advance to certain positions.And in contrast to that, there are sell side institutions in which people are utterly unaware and ignorant of what CFA means.