Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Faithguidesyou
Topic Author

Confused engineer standing on a cross road with heavy fog need light

January 14th, 2011, 11:22 pm

I am an engineer in the Oil and Gas/Energy industry. After years of working in the industry, I feel that something in my career is missing. Well not that I don?t like the industry, just the fact that after years of working on the technical side, I feel like that I want to try the financial side of the industry. I did a lot of researches to help me come up with a preliminary plan for this change, however, the information that is available is not much. I do find some articles talk about how an engineer jump into finance, but those articles only give me a very general idea - to study a financial related MBA or MSc finance then change field. However, I would like much more inputs than these so that I can envision my plan better, such as, is that have to be Top 10 schools for master? Except Big Oil?s, big energy firms, Investment Bank?s natural recourse departments what are some other options I will be look into? How should I look for my first job? (Via network, apply on the web?) What kind of pay I will be looking at for my first job? Will it pays back my master? And etc. If any engineer has similar story regarding the transition (not limited to Oil and Gas/Energy) want to share, please feel free to and I appreciate it. Please help this confused, ?Ok young?, single engineer to envision his future.
Last edited by Faithguidesyou on January 14th, 2011, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ronwise

Confused engineer standing on a cross road with heavy fog need light

January 16th, 2011, 10:38 am

Try consultancy companies first (McKinsey etc), if it does not work out try to persuade your boss to sponsor your MBA. Otherwise the common way to change career is to enroll on MBA/PhD depending on what sort of finance you have in mind.