SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

tinoob
Topic Author

Got admit from Birkbeck MFE !

February 14th, 2011, 3:13 pm

Just want to share the news that i just now got an admit from the Birkbeck for there Masters in Financial Engg for year 2011. Hopefully my dreams will come true now !thanks for all those who took the trouble to answer my queries cheerstinoo

quantmeh

February 14th, 2011, 3:29 pm

can you explain briefely the process, especially interviewing and getting the funding/aid

tinoob
Topic Author

February 14th, 2011, 3:36 pm

The process fortunately is very simple. I filled in the online application form, got a mail from them asking to fill in the form for Fees purposes ( if i fell in Overseas or local student category ) and that was it. Well the most time it took me was to write the Personal Statement. And fortunaltely i was able to get hold of my Professor who taught me 11 years ago

scmjsd2

February 15th, 2011, 12:18 pm

Also, I think you have to do a stats admission test in September. I remember it wasn't very easy if you hadn't done any maths for a substantial period.

tinoob
Topic Author

February 15th, 2011, 12:42 pm

Yes true, and i have to prepare for that, given the substantial period of my education. Are there any sample papers for the qualifying exams ? Any recommended books ? I am thinking of starting off with "Primer in Financial Mathematics" by Dan Stefanica

demha

February 15th, 2011, 3:15 pm

Stefanica's book doesn't really deal with Probability or Statistics; it's more of a Calculus primer. I think Probability at the level of "A First Course in Probability" by Ross will be essential for MFE survival.
Last edited by demha on February 14th, 2011, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scmjsd2

February 17th, 2011, 2:57 pm

as far as i can remember...a-level maths and stats plus basic ideas about parameter estimations - biasedness and so on for the intro stat testthere is a good foreign prof who they bring in to teach the stats before the test, there are also classes on basic linear algebra to brush up and a very good introductory course on finance in general aimed at those with no finance background.for the course itself 'Rennie and Baxter' to understand basics of stoch calculus and wilmott (original red book) for the pde approach.

quantmeh

February 17th, 2011, 4:10 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: tinoob Are there any sample papers for the qualifying exams ? Any recommended books ?if you're already admitted, why do you need qualifying exams?

tinoob
Topic Author

February 17th, 2011, 4:15 pm

Most of the Uni's such as Imperial or Oxford ( i guess) take the exam as Part of the admission criteria for Masters, Birkbeck being more fair gives the applicants ( who might have substantial gap from prior studies ) a chance by teaching them required Mathematics and then examining them.

Hansi

February 17th, 2011, 4:34 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: tinoobMost of the Uni's such as Imperial or Oxford ( i guess) take the exam as Part of the admission criteria for Masters, Birkbeck being more fair gives the applicants ( who might have substantial gap from prior studies ) a chance by teaching them required Mathematics and then examining them.Imperial had a stats exam in the first few weeks there when I did my MFE there.

phil451

February 17th, 2011, 4:36 pm

The hyperlinks will take you to the course material for the Introductory courseshttp://www.ems.bbk.ac.uk/for_students/preSess0 ... t10.pdfThe Matrix Algebra course is very basic but the probability and stats course depending on your backgroud is a little more demanding. It is worth 'Boning up' on regression modelling and hypothesis testing as Part 1 of the Financial Econometrics module is all about this and if your background is Mathematics or Computing this may come as a bit of a shock.Oh, and make sure you can solve an ODE using the integrating factor methodGood Luck

tinoob
Topic Author

February 17th, 2011, 4:42 pm

Thanks Phil, course material looks familiar, i should be able to nail it down by some preparation on my side. Hence i was also looking for some basic books on Prob and Stats as well as on Calculus. Let me know if you know somecheerstinoo

quantmeh

February 17th, 2011, 6:53 pm

well, you're admitted now. why are you even worried about anything now?i wouldnt read anything in advance. you pay them a ton of money, they'll teach you everything when classes start

quantobe

February 17th, 2011, 10:17 pm

Admission is conditional on passing the exam.

quantmeh

February 17th, 2011, 11:40 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: quantobeAdmission is conditional on passing the exam.ah, i didnt know that. interesting
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On