Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Maxdot
Topic Author

Quant now or after postdoc?

February 16th, 2011, 11:19 pm

Hi Everyone, I am currently finishing a PhD in theoretical physics at Oxbridge. My PhD work didn't contain any mathematics relevant to finance, but obviously I am capable of learning and I have a lot of C++ programming experience. My first question is, does anyone know how likely it is to be hired for a junior quant position in London with this kind of background and a month or two of studying Hull (or equivalent) under my belt?I have a postdoc offer for a two year position at a less well known uni in Germany, but I think in the long run I would prefer to have a career in finance. My dilemma is whether to take the postdoc offer and use the time there to properly learn the relevant material and possibly publish some quant research (as there are people at the department I would join that do finance related work). Or should I take a risk and decline the offer and look for a quant position now in London? If it makes any difference I would be 29 upon returning form the postdoc.I have a friend who found a quant position after finishing his PhD in physics at my current department with the same background and only some knowledge of Hull. He seems to think it wouldn't be too hard to find a similar position, but obviously it is daunting to turn down a job offer when one has nothing else on the table.Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

barny

February 16th, 2011, 11:35 pm

Surely the obvious thing to do is to try and get some jobs, if you do get one, great, question answered, if you don't, then the post-doc is the obvious thing to do.

Maxdot
Topic Author

February 17th, 2011, 12:08 am

Well, the postdoc offer has been on the table for a week and I think I will need to decide pretty soon. In terms of applying for quant jobs I have made it to the second interview for one, but I think I will have to decide on the postdoc before I know the outcome. Obviously, if I had more time I would hold on to the postdoc offer for a while to see if I get any quant jobs and then accept/not-accept it depending on the outcome of my job search but unfortunately I am not in that position.

ArthurDent

February 17th, 2011, 2:13 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: Maxdotunfortunately I am not in that position.Why did you apply for postdoc before applying for quant? It seems you already made the choice then.

ronwise

February 17th, 2011, 6:52 am

Have been there. It is much better now for juniors then for example 1-2 years ago but still a lot of things should come out together for you to secure a job. I would recommend to take a postdoc offer but try to shift the starting date for a couple of months and continue looking for a job. Postdoc is a postdoc and people in academia know that a postdoc is always looking for better job. So if you have to leave the postdoc early - most people would understand that.

katastrofa

February 17th, 2011, 9:28 am

Leaving the academia is usually walking a one-way street. It'll be hard to go back after working outside science for a few years.

skint101

February 18th, 2011, 11:53 pm

I know a guy who has just started as a quant in London, after finishing a Ph.D in Numerical Analysis (also Oxbridge), so it is reasonably likely that you will be able to do the same, since you appear to be equally well qualified. In fact, we don't tend to use c++, opting mainly for Matlab for the day-to-day stuff. You probably have a good advantage here. I think you'll find yourself in high demand.
Last edited by skint101 on February 18th, 2011, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.