SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

DOCTORDJ
Topic Author

Career Change from medicine to Finance (Quant)

February 22nd, 2011, 7:03 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehforget about itI agree - you have a great career ahead of you. why switch ?Passion-thats why. Just want to do something I enjoy doing.

quantmeh

February 22nd, 2011, 7:03 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DOCTORDJMedicine is a very rewarding career-no doubt, but it isn't where my passion lies.you can try veterinary or farmacology, maybe even medical management. all close to your current field, instead of going off completely off the rails.

DOCTORDJ
Topic Author

February 22nd, 2011, 7:05 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: MartinoHey! Very interesting situation. Why dont you enrol into part-time MFE in London, while at the same time working as a doctor until you graduate and then switch?Ive already graduated from med skl-im now post grad-working as a doc. Ithink I prefer to do the proper thing-going back to university to study the real maths.Thanks for your advice.

Anthis

February 22nd, 2011, 7:40 pm

I cant think of anything but an analyst for life sciences related companies. Unless you have a very sharp diatribe on your hands. Something like bond dealers' prostate...

ThinkDifferent

February 23rd, 2011, 8:25 am

this is getting really bad. medicine is arguably one of the most useful occupations....looks like the skew towards quant finance from real sciences is getting even stronger despite all the events and warnings.I hope another crises (a bigger one) will happen so that people will finally realize that quant finance is, in its most part, is a useless piece of intellectual garbage.

demha

February 23rd, 2011, 1:59 pm

Indeed, there's an alarming rate of good science people wanting to jump to quant finance. Not entirely sure what the motivators are, despite claims to a fondness for maths. Someone ought to write a more up-to-date version of "My Life as a Quant...", since that's well out-of-date.
Last edited by demha on February 22nd, 2011, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dood

February 23rd, 2011, 3:09 pm

The notoriety has made quant finance sexy. Funny, I still look like a slob and women wont talk to me. *sigh*...could be worse, I could be in auditing.QuoteOriginally posted by: ThinkDifferentthis is getting really bad. medicine is arguably one of the most useful occupations....looks like the skew towards quant finance from real sciences is getting even stronger despite all the events and warnings.I hope another crises (a bigger one) will happen so that people will finally realize that quant finance is, in its most part, is a useless piece of intellectual garbage.

ppauper

February 24th, 2011, 3:29 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: AbhiJDude, pick a an idea, and make it the theme of your life. Being a top doctor you can earn multiple times a Quant earns while providing service to society, being respected, and having freedom of time. Why do you want to join the cubicle farm ?indeed, as a physician, he can work 3 days a week, come in mid-way through the morning, treat his customers like crap, and get overpaid

GiusCo

February 24th, 2011, 3:46 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ThinkDifferentthis is getting really bad. medicine is arguably one of the most useful occupations....looks like the skew towards quant finance from real sciences is getting even stronger despite all the events and warnings.I hope another crises (a bigger one) will happen so that people will finally realize that quant finance is, in its most part, is a useless piece of intellectual garbage.Knowledge is getting inflated, very poor paid in many parts of the world, and the only way to smash the ceiling appears to be hitting the finance jackpot suffice to say this is a delusion: without a real hook to the sector, it's difficult to keep going in a consistent and steady mannerI wonder what happens to the lots not making it in London / NY ... if some time after waking up they recover an equilibriumgood luck to op

Caesaria

February 24th, 2011, 4:08 pm

Screw theoretical physics. I'd say just do a masters in statistics. DOCTORDJ you could make a unique combination out of yourself being a doctor and a statistician, then you can be in a trading desk for drug/pharm and med related companies. Or even speculate on raw materials that influence the profit margins of Med products. You can combine your knowledge of medicine and a 1-2 year masters in stats and work your way into being a fundamentals expert which requires solid stats skills as well anyway. That being said, I don't know what firms trade pharm companies but you can look into that. There might be a market for it. For you to be a pricing quant, that would take many more years than being a fundamentals front office quant/statistician.

DOCTORDJ
Topic Author

February 24th, 2011, 6:45 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: AbhiJDude, pick a an idea, and make it the theme of your life. Being a top doctor you can earn multiple times a Quant earns while providing service to society, being respected, and having freedom of time. Why do you want to join the cubicle farm ?indeed, as a physician, he can work 3 days a week, come in mid-way through the morning, treat his customers like crap, and get overpaidI want a career that helps other people/society but also fulfilling. The good thing is I can always work part time as a doctor even if I decide to pursue a degree totally different from medicine. There has to be a balance between being fulfiled and helping others.

DOCTORDJ
Topic Author

February 24th, 2011, 6:48 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CaesariaScrew theoretical physics. I'd say just do a masters in statistics. DOCTORDJ you could make a unique combination out of yourself being a doctor and a statistician, then you can be in a trading desk for drug/pharm and med related companies. Or even speculate on raw materials that influence the profit margins of Med products. You can combine your knowledge of medicine and a 1-2 year masters in stats and work your way into being a fundamentals expert which requires solid stats skills as well anyway. That being said, I don't know what firms trade pharm companies but you can look into that. There might be a market for it. For you to be a pricing quant, that would take many more years than being a fundamentals front office quant/statistician.Thanks so much for that fantastic idea, I shall defintiely look into it. I hope universities will allow me onto a statistics course coming from a background of medicine. I'll do some research about it. thanks so much.

Caesaria

February 24th, 2011, 6:57 pm

I know that doctors and even nurses have to take stats. I'm sure you have done some stats, atleast about sampling. Don't you try to predict the most likely cause of a patients illness based on a history of patients who were diagnosed with certain things vs what they actually had. My cousin is a cancer surgeon and he uses multivariate stats and some bayesian stats to figure out the probabilities of his patients particular illnesses conditional on their symptoms. So I am sure that you can do stats courses, with your current background without any pre-reqs.
Last edited by Caesaria on February 23rd, 2011, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quantmeh

February 24th, 2011, 7:33 pm

medicine and biomedical science is probably one of top 3 biggest drivers of modern statistics research

Caesaria

February 24th, 2011, 8:50 pm

yea or do a masters in Biostatistics, there are many univs that offer it. you can use that as a route to get into finance or some quantitative job.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On