SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Andrey0007
Topic Author

Masters in Applied Math (distance education)

May 4th, 2011, 5:12 pm

Hello everyone,I am looking for a university Masters Degree in Applied Math or Mathematics of Finance (with more math then finance) by distance education.My goal is to enchance my math skills while working at a starting position in an investment bank. I would also like to use this diploma in order to move into a quant role in the future. Could someone give me any examples of distance education degrees? What should I pay attention to while choosing?The location of the University does not matter much to me, but I would prefer an English (UK,US) or French speaking country.Thanks a lot.About Myself:Graduating this year with an MSc in Financial Markets (Asset Management) & Masters in Management. Some math/stat background thanks to my previous economics degree + and math intensive courses during my MSc. Entering an IB in september.

closdubois

May 5th, 2011, 7:28 am

what will you be doing at the bank?do you already have or need/want a brand name school on your resume?are you going to be paying for the course? how much money can you drop comfortably?check out the CQF and the distance learning programmes at uchicago and columbia.other things to think about: why do you want to move into quant? why do math now and not in undergrad and msc? how much do you like programming?

demha

May 5th, 2011, 11:08 am

The Open University in the UK does a distance degree in Mathematics at the undergrad level. Don't think they do anything at postgrad. However, I'm a little unsure whether it's advisable to do an MSc in Applied Mathematics without the necessary first degree material. Depends very much on the mathematical content of your first degree. IMHO, most non-Mathematics first degrees do not cover enough of the mathematical fundamentals required later on at postgrad level. A self test would be to see if you can do the exercises from an undergrad level Mathematical Analysis book.You might like to check with a normal Applied Math department whether you have the required background before purusing further. There are so many variations on what might be called an "Applied Math MSc".
Last edited by demha on May 4th, 2011, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

endian675

May 6th, 2011, 9:43 am

Open University do a Master of Mathematics programme, it takes around 6 years to complete so it's a very long-term thing. Better off taking another year off work/school and doing it in 9-12 months.

demha

May 6th, 2011, 10:09 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: endian675Open University do a Master of Mathematics programme, it takes around 6 years to complete so it's a very long-term thing. Better off taking another year off work/school and doing it in 9-12 months.Thanks for pointing that out. Found the link describing the course: http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/postgradua ... on/f04.htm. There's also a quiz which allows one to assess current knowledge.

barny

May 7th, 2011, 9:17 am

You should be able to complete the OU Msc in Maths in two years max. No idea where you get the 6 years figure from.

demha

May 7th, 2011, 12:13 pm

I have a feeling he got six years based on the 180 credits required. Each module is worth 30 credits. I'm sure one can handle more than a single module per year. 3 modules per year may be doable depending on how demanding the day job is I guess.
Last edited by demha on May 6th, 2011, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barny

May 7th, 2011, 2:17 pm

Really, it should be possible to do 60 credits per year, and the 60 credit project during the two years.

cryptic26

May 17th, 2011, 4:45 pm

there is one at TAMU (texas A&M), also one offered at rochester ( in stat though). Stanford has an MS in statistics as well that you could do in distance. University of North carolina, john hopkins has some programs online.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On