SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

DominicConnor
Topic Author

Global Quant Pay Survey RC1 Tell me what you think

May 12th, 2011, 9:11 am

P&D are doing what seems to be the first proper global survey of what quants get paid.Using SurveyMonkey so contributors have a decent expectation of privacy, we've produced a short survey that should allow us to answer the following questions...Do girl quants earn less than boy quants ?If so, how much ?Is it true what they say about bonuses in commodities at Goldmans ?Regardless of the bullshit fed to you by management, how much of the bonus of other people just like you is being deferred ?For how long ?How much it is costing you to stay in the City of Light rather then move to London or NY like all your friends ?What is it that causes people to stay in Frankfurt, when it has an airport that allows people to escape quickly ?Do you get paid more in Singapore or Hong Kong ?and most importantly, what do people like you earn elsewhere ?I've nearly finished putting it together, so feel to criticize what you see here Test Version of Quant Pay Survey
Last edited by DominicConnor on May 13th, 2011, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hansi

May 12th, 2011, 9:20 am

The link points to http://https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MH5QB7Q with an extra http in front, which bounces to http://www.devices.com/ for some reason.
Last edited by Hansi on May 11th, 2011, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DevonFangs

May 12th, 2011, 1:13 pm

You should probably add something specific for first year employees, who obviously can't have perceived any bonus yet.

quantmeh

May 12th, 2011, 1:59 pm

i hope you hired a statistician to design your survey. i see too many surveys done by amateurs these days

DevonFangs

May 12th, 2011, 2:05 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehi hope you hired a statistician to design your survey. i see too many surveys done by amateurs these daysof course, this is the first proper global surveyor we could do a survey of how many are actually designed by amateurs

rmax

May 12th, 2011, 2:37 pm

Think you should include if your bonus is in non functional currency.

Hansi

May 12th, 2011, 2:43 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxThink you should include if your bonus is in non functional currency.ISK?

DevonFangs

May 12th, 2011, 2:50 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: HansiQuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxThink you should include if your bonus is in non functional currency.ISK?How about one of these?

DominicConnor
Topic Author

May 12th, 2011, 4:10 pm

I see that a few hundred people have looked at this thread, would any care to tell me whether I have too many or too few questions ?

rmax

May 12th, 2011, 4:17 pm

In terms of fillng in - think it is fine - when I finally got a chance to get a crack at it. Would put a progress bar or something at the bottom as I was (pleasently) surprised when it came to an end so early.ISK more like BIF

DominicConnor
Topic Author

May 12th, 2011, 6:29 pm

Thanks for the feedback.I've tried to keep it short because like most people I've been drawn into surveys that promsied to be quick and actually take a very long time.Some re huge grids of competing amibguous options, but the ones I really hate are the ones that say "the numbers must add up to 100%"Also, thanks RMax, I found the button that gives a progress bar, and it the nice large jumps as you complete each question should reassure people that it really won't suck up too much time.I'm trying to work out whether there should be a programming language question and/or packages like Matlab, FinCad etc.What do you think ?
Last edited by DominicConnor on May 11th, 2011, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DevonFangs

May 12th, 2011, 8:34 pm

Dont know about the programming language, you could get a great variance on C++ and some pretty meaningless results on niche languages (you could get some guy making big buks on haskell, but how many are there?)On that side I stick to my point that you should deepen the analysis for fresh grads, so one could know what she could make on her first year given her level of proficiency in coding

quantmeh

May 12th, 2011, 11:52 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsOn that side I stick to my point that you should deepen the analysis for fresh grads, so one could know what she could make on her first year given her level of proficiency in codingyou'll get all sorts of people who think they're quants, but who're really programmers implementing some well known quant algorithms and not doing any original research

mrmister

May 13th, 2011, 4:52 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehQuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsOn that side I stick to my point that you should deepen the analysis for fresh grads, so one could know what she could make on her first year given her level of proficiency in codingyou'll get all sorts of people who think they're quants, but who're really programmers implementing some well known quant algorithms and not doing any original researchSuch as yourself.

eh

May 13th, 2011, 8:07 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehQuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsOn that side I stick to my point that you should deepen the analysis for fresh grads, so one could know what she could make on her first year given her level of proficiency in codingyou'll get all sorts of people who think they're quants, but who're really programmers implementing some well known quant algorithms and not doing any original researchSnob!
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On