SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

thomssi

I know the relative pay of PhD quants in London, Paris, Switzerland and Italy

June 1st, 2011, 4:25 am

I know that but it is still easier to get in and less stressful than FO quants and apparently from this pretty much as well paid which is rather surprising. By easy life I didn't mean entry requirements were low but rather once you are there the stress is lower.

DominicConnor
Topic Author

June 1st, 2011, 5:35 am

@thomssi, I absolutely agree, if you do the survey you will see that I talk about a "yield curve" of experience vs pay.The numbers I've put up so far are by-products of the quality control process, in particular there are people who either earn $500 per year or 500K, guess which number they typed in ?For the major centres (major being defined as having a good number of responses), I will be publishing the pay relationship with experience, job title, rank, age, and any other factor that I get enough data to be:a) reliableb) doesn't reveal the pay of individualsObviously the number of 31 year old quants in fixed income risk management in NY with a phd in economics from Berkeley whose rank is director is too small for me to share what they earn.(actually that particular subset is empty)

aankz

June 14th, 2011, 8:06 pm

@domonic @ Pay in ItalyI know for a fact lot of my colleague in the brokerage division at junior level <1-3 yrs exp> had their salaries 40-60% of in Switzerland. Also even working for bulge bracket bank as a junior analyst can be anything between 3-5K Eur pm - translate into $ and in it's spot on. Regarding quants - I think not a lot of them are working for the buldge bracket firms - and italian banks tend to offer lesser 'job volatility' - almost difficult to get fired. The local banks don't pay much either to quants it seems.

DominicConnor
Topic Author

June 14th, 2011, 8:27 pm

One goal of this survey was for me to find out things I didn't know, and the remarkably low pay of Italian quants is a good example.

japanstar

June 17th, 2011, 4:12 pm

Hi Barny, I think that the Swiss numbers are bit biased by the exchange rate.

escherichia

June 17th, 2011, 7:02 pm

In another post, Dominic says on average a front office quant dev in London earns£114 K base£38 K bonus£ 7K non pay benefitsSo, does this mean QD's in London get more in base, less in bonus, and similar to Quants in total compensation?

Hansi

June 17th, 2011, 7:39 pm

If you check the QD thread I mentioned that a lot of QDs work as contractors and then they get little or no bonus and a much higher base (and pay less tax).

japanstar

June 25th, 2011, 3:01 pm

Hi Dominic,Do you have any data related to quanta working in Japan?

nufchavq

July 3rd, 2011, 1:39 pm

Hello Dominic,Although the LinkedIn Quant finance group looks defunct (?) would we get any update on the survey results?As I'm a new graduate in the field this information would be truly useful.Regards,Arthur

farmer

July 4th, 2011, 1:10 pm

Call me crazy, but as a headhunter, shouldn't you be in a position to second-guess your survey? You don't need to poll every strike price to model a volatility surface. In fact, as a recruiter, you can actually set the quotes in the low-volume contracts.

AndyNguyen

July 7th, 2011, 2:45 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: nufchavqHello Dominic,Although the LinkedIn Quant finance group looks defunct (?)According to LinkedIn, the group was closed by the owner. Not sure why.

jambodev

July 7th, 2011, 9:00 pm

Hi Dominic you have a PM.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On