SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Caesaria
Topic Author

caucasians in CMU MSCF

June 3rd, 2011, 12:52 pm

Quotethe other comment was the absurd idea that all races are statistically equal and that these differences are not caused (at least partly) by race. IQ is the most explored human attribute on this subject. i think it's accepted even by left wing academics that IQ is mainly inherited.Which clearly means it is impossible for all countries to have a homogeneous distribution of intelligence. But the point of my thread wasn't about intelligence. When a new high paying area comes out, everyone wants to cash in on it and as most of the students who apply for these programs in MSCF would write in their admission letter "Comp Finance is a combination of math, comp sci and finance... all of which I adore!". Since you practically develop no financial intuition as a quant or in these MSCF programs, you leave with knowledge of "math and comp sci", which the admissions committee understands. Both those subjects are related and are rigid in the education system of the entrants from India and China (vietnam, east europe, etc.). Not to mention the work ethic of these asian tigers when it comes to GRE preps, as well as the opening for engineers to enter the MSCF programs as well. I was looking at how the MBA kids have a blast and socialize with well rounded people whom they keep in touch with all their life, while the MSCF type programs have a bunch of boring folk whom you wouldn't party with after you get out (and even during the program)! Imagine the MSCF alumni party vs a Kellogg party haha.
Last edited by Caesaria on June 2nd, 2011, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QuantOrDie

caucasians in CMU MSCF

June 3rd, 2011, 12:54 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ithousekeeperAlot of them want to do trading with their degree. Do you really need a MFE / MSCF to do this nowadays?Another surprising thing...some of these folks already have a Phd. Why are they doing this program?Because they were unable to get jobs with just a phd. That means they are either marginal technically or they are complete losses when it comes to soft skills.

capafan2

caucasians in CMU MSCF

June 3rd, 2011, 12:54 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehQuoteOriginally posted by: capafan2But you are not worried about them are you? i'm not worried about these things at all american education is the best in the world, in my opinion. Soviet education was awesome, but it's gone now. US has no competition in this area.:-) No debates there. Plenty of people from India used to go to Soviet Union to do their engineering during the cold war days. I personally know a few and they all vouch that the quality of education was awesome. They had to learn russian too in 1 year!! And just so we are clear what my position is - I deeply admire the inherent intellectualism of Russian folks. They are smart and proud lot and I have always been impressed by them. Socially though I found them difficult to connect with as I felt they were perpetually suspicious. Not all though. The younger generation is not so.

quantmeh

caucasians in CMU MSCF

June 3rd, 2011, 12:57 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CaesariaQuoteSince you practically develop no financial intuition as a quant or in these MSCF programs, you leave with knowledge of "math and comp sci", which the admissions committee understands. Both those subjects are related and are rigid in the education system of the entrants from India and China (vietnam, east europe, etc.). Not to mention the work ethic of these asian tigers when it comes to GRE preps, as well as the opening for engineers to enter the MSCF programs as well.why can't they dominate the space race then? it took these tigers so many years to even launch anything resembling a rocketship to space, they can't figure out nuclear weaponry, they can't they make Coca-Cola competitor or make Star Wars etc.?the supposed better education in asia is b/s. it's not better and has never been. western education is much better in the past 100 years at least

capafan2

caucasians in CMU MSCF

June 3rd, 2011, 1:00 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehQuoteOriginally posted by: CaesariaQuoteSince you practically develop no financial intuition as a quant or in these MSCF programs, you leave with knowledge of "math and comp sci", which the admissions committee understands. Both those subjects are related and are rigid in the education system of the entrants from India and China (vietnam, east europe, etc.). Not to mention the work ethic of these asian tigers when it comes to GRE preps, as well as the opening for engineers to enter the MSCF programs as well.why can't they dominate the space race then? it took these tigers so many years to even launch anything resembling a rocketship to space, they can't figure out nuclear weaponry, they can't they make Coca-Cola competitor or make Star Wars etc.?the supposed better education in asia is b/s. it's not better and has never been. western education is much better in the past 100 years at leastIt was not the quality of education. It was prosperity. There is not money to spend on frivolous things like going to space or creating a coca-cola (BTW Thumbs Up is better in my opinion and that was created in India. The 1 lakh car ($2500) is also Indian). Russia only achieved it by screwing its population.

Caesaria
Topic Author

caucasians in CMU MSCF

June 3rd, 2011, 1:01 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehQuoteOriginally posted by: CaesariaQuoteSince you practically develop no financial intuition as a quant or in these MSCF programs, you leave with knowledge of "math and comp sci", which the admissions committee understands. Both those subjects are related and are rigid in the education system of the entrants from India and China (vietnam, east europe, etc.). Not to mention the work ethic of these asian tigers when it comes to GRE preps, as well as the opening for engineers to enter the MSCF programs as well.why can't they dominate the space race then? it took these tigers so many years to even launch anything resembling a rocketship to space, they can't figure out nuclear weaponry, they can't they make Coca-Cola competitor or make Star Wars etc.?the supposed better education in asia is b/s. it's not better and has never been. western education is much better in the past 100 years at leastI never said it was better, I was being sarcastic. What does the admissions committee look at? High GRE score + high GPA + plagiarized Statement of Purpose, these are not indicators of creativity but dronal efforts.

quantmeh

caucasians in CMU MSCF

June 3rd, 2011, 1:06 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: capafan2 Russia only achieved it by screwing its population.i remember reading the novel called "Life and fate" by Jewish writer Vasily Grossman, he had this neat dialog, where one general says "A human being is not a tank or an airplane, any fool can create a human being." my point is that if you're smart, you have to prove in the product of your creativity. basiaclly, if you can't make a nuclear bomb or intercontinental ballistic rocket, then you're not that smart at all

capafan2

caucasians in CMU MSCF

June 3rd, 2011, 1:20 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehQuoteOriginally posted by: capafan2 Russia only achieved it by screwing its population.i remember reading the novel called "Life and fate" by Jewish writer Vasily Grossman, he had this neat dialog, where one general says "A human being is not a tank or an airplane, any fool can create a human being." my point is that if you're smart, you have to prove in the product of your creativity. basiaclly, if you can't make a nuclear bomb or intercontinental ballistic rocket, then you're not that smart at allProve to whom and for what! Sending rockets to space when your people are starving is no nobility. What you are saying is that "Showing I am smart relative to others is more valuable than actually producing something of value for the society in general"

quantmeh

caucasians in CMU MSCF

June 3rd, 2011, 1:31 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: capafan2Sending rockets to space when your people are starving is no nobility.why are they starving?in Soviet Union people didn't have blue jeans, but didn't starve. they did starve in '20-30, before industrial revolution, but then communists figured the food thing out. and Soviets were always multi-racial internationalists, btw

capafan2

caucasians in CMU MSCF

June 3rd, 2011, 1:32 pm

Quoteplagiarized Statement of Purpose, these are not indicators of creativity but dronal efforts.When was the last time you heard any corporate speech given by someone in your clan which did not sound like the same BS. You sir are judging how good a vocation is based on how many caucasians enroll for it. And choosing a vocation based on a balance between what you love and what earns good money is not a dronal effort its called survivor instinct. The only people who can do what they absolutely love are either very very lucky to enjoy what earns good money or those that inherited money or royaldom or aristocracy like William Wordsworth.

capafan2

caucasians in CMU MSCF

June 3rd, 2011, 1:33 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehQuoteOriginally posted by: capafan2Sending rockets to space when your people are starving is no nobility.why are they starving?in Soviet Union people didn't have blue jeans, but didn't starve. they did starve in '20-30, before industrial revolution, but then communists figured the food thing out. and Soviets were always multi-racial internationalists, btwSince I was not there - I will just believe you ;-)

Caesaria
Topic Author

caucasians in CMU MSCF

June 3rd, 2011, 1:48 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: capafan2Quoteplagiarized Statement of Purpose, these are not indicators of creativity but dronal efforts.When was the last time you heard any corporate speech given by someone in your clan which did not sound like the same BS. You sir are judging how good a vocation is based on how many caucasians enroll for it. And choosing a vocation based on a balance between what you love and what earns good money is not a dronal effort its called survivor instinct. No sire, I am just saying how lame the alumni get togethers would be with a whole bunch of introverts. People think of these programs as a gateway into finance (at least I thought so), but you are still stuck with the el nerdos.

capafan2

caucasians in CMU MSCF

June 3rd, 2011, 1:49 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CaesariaQuoteOriginally posted by: capafan2Quoteplagiarized Statement of Purpose, these are not indicators of creativity but dronal efforts.When was the last time you heard any corporate speech given by someone in your clan which did not sound like the same BS. You sir are judging how good a vocation is based on how many caucasians enroll for it. And choosing a vocation based on a balance between what you love and what earns good money is not a dronal effort its called survivor instinct. No sire, I am just saying how lame the alumni get togethers would be with a whole bunch of introverts. People think of these programs as a gateway into finance (at least I thought so), but you are still stuck with the el nerdos.I do not think they are introverted at all unless they sense someone with a discriminatory attitude. So if they are avoiding you, they probably do not like you

quantmeh

caucasians in CMU MSCF

June 3rd, 2011, 2:21 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CaesariaI never said it was better, I was being sarcastic. What does the admissions committee look at? High GRE score + high GPA + plagiarized Statement of Purpose, these are not indicators of creativity but dronal efforts.you're right, some people figured out how to crack GMAT/GREs

nyasha

caucasians in CMU MSCF

June 5th, 2011, 8:55 pm

Now now, when I said "is it really necessary to start and name a thread based on race? discuss", what I really meant is "how ridiculously inappropriate is this topic, for a quant forum?"
Last edited by nyasha on June 4th, 2011, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On