SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

cl2000
Topic Author

change in career path

June 19th, 2011, 2:13 pm

Hi, i'm just got my undergrad degree in engineering and i will work at the supply chain department of a company. However, I really want to get a master degree in financial engineering after a year or two of working. I've been trading commodities since beginning of my senior yr and made a considerable amount of money and I'm really good at it. And I want to sharpen my trading skills. I have a really good GRE quant score at 745I know there are probably more math and programming classes I will have to take. And it most likely will be very different from my current major. I really need suggestions and advice on how to get to MFE or is it possible? Thanks. I've heard suggestion to major in computer science and then MFE, but I really dont know. Any help will be appreciated.

Alan

change in career path

June 19th, 2011, 3:38 pm

Well, since you've made a lot of money, there always the Thorton Melon (Rodney Dangerfield) route from Back To School:Quote Mr. Melon, I'd like for you to meet Dr. Philip Barbay... who's the dean of our school of business. David, I just want to get it on record... that I am totally against this. I don't think that selling admission... to an obviously unqualified student... is very ethical or honorable. Right, Phil, but I'd just like to say... in all fairness to Mr. Melon here... it was a really big check. It's a simple matter of this man's presence... undermining the efforts of our legitimate students... who are here as a result of hard work. Hard work? Listen, Sherlock, while you were tucked away up here... working on your ethics, I was out there... busting my hump in the real world. And the reason guys like you got a place to teach... is 'cause guys like me donate buildings. I wasn't speaking to you,Mr. Melon. I don't think Dr. Barbay understands...the actual amounts that are involved here. Mr. Melon, will you take the ceremonial shovel? Thank you. And dig into the symbolic dirt. I hereby dedicate this building to... myself.Sorry ... couldn't resist.

bwarren

change in career path

June 19th, 2011, 3:45 pm

I believe 800 is a "really good" GRE quant score.

Cuchulainn

change in career path

June 19th, 2011, 5:40 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: AlanWell, since you've made a lot of money, there always the Thorton Melon (Rodney Dangerfield) route from Back To School:Quote Mr. Melon, I'd like for you to meet Dr. Philip Barbay... who's the dean of our school of business. David, I just want to get it on record... that I am totally against this. I don't think that selling admission... to an obviously unqualified student... is very ethical or honorable. Right, Phil, but I'd just like to say... in all fairness to Mr. Melon here... it was a really big check. It's a simple matter of this man's presence... undermining the efforts of our legitimate students... who are here as a result of hard work. Hard work? Listen, Sherlock, while you were tucked away up here... working on your ethics, I was out there... busting my hump in the real world. And the reason guys like you got a place to teach... is 'cause guys like me donate buildings. I wasn't speaking to you,Mr. Melon. I don't think Dr. Barbay understands...the actual amounts that are involved here. Mr. Melon, will you take the ceremonial shovel? Thank you. And dig into the symbolic dirt. I hereby dedicate this building to... myself.Sorry ... couldn't resist. Alan,I'm confused, I thought you were referrring to the scene in the lecture room.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on June 18th, 2011, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Step over the gap, not into it. Watch the space between platform and train.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Alan

change in career path

June 20th, 2011, 12:58 am

No, that's a good scene, too, but the OP asked for "advice on how to get to MFE". So, my advice is to buy admission, like Rodney.

AndyNguyen

change in career path

June 20th, 2011, 3:34 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: cl2000I have a really good GRE quant score at 745I know there are probably more math and programming classes I will have to take. And it most likely will be very different from my current major. I really need suggestions and advice on how to get to MFE or is it possible? Thanks. I've heard suggestion to major in computer science and then MFE, but I really dont know. Any help will be appreciated.There is no 745. GRE score is in steps of 10 points so either you got 740 or 750. Either one, it's a bad score. Even 800 is not considered "great" by any standard. Retaking it would be your next step."How to prepare for MFE" is one article you may find helpful. Best of luck.

DevonFangs

change in career path

June 22nd, 2011, 10:45 am

Isn't 800 the max for the quant reasoning part only? Maybe that's what he meant.

spv205

change in career path

June 30th, 2011, 8:40 pm

Don't believe MFE is that useful if you want to be a trader
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On