SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

londoner
Topic Author

best quant role

December 19th, 2011, 11:23 pm

What is the best quant role as measured in (intellectual+financial reward)/(work hours+stress+noisy environment)?From what I gather, the optimal quant role under this measure is perhaps the high-end modelling/methodologies role, be it related to pricing or risk. These guys don't have to sit on the noisy trading floor, and get interesting problems to work on. They still need to write codes, but the codes are more like prototype rather than production. Besides, if they take the time to publish their work, they will make a name for themselves, which will be valued in their career down the road. The pay is typically lower than that of front office quants, but is good compared to model validation and other risk roles. What do you think?

quantmeh

best quant role

December 20th, 2011, 3:03 am

MD

QuantOrDie

best quant role

December 20th, 2011, 4:15 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehMDThis.

AbhiJ

best quant role

December 20th, 2011, 10:56 am

Dude, everyone's definition is different. Some guys are stress-o-holics and the equation for them would be: (intellectual+financial reward)*(work hours+stress+noisy environment).Financial reward doesn't come without stress and high working hours , more like its positively co-related.

Hansi

best quant role

December 20th, 2011, 10:59 am

What's the best ice cream flavour?

londoner
Topic Author

best quant role

December 20th, 2011, 2:26 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehMDMD of what?

quantmeh

best quant role

December 20th, 2011, 4:02 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: londonerQuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehMDMD of what?anything. that's the beauty of this job.

londoner
Topic Author

best quant role

December 20th, 2011, 4:28 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehQuoteOriginally posted by: londonerQuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehMDMD of what?anything. that's the beauty of this job.What does a MD do on daily basis?

quantmeh

best quant role

December 20th, 2011, 6:04 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: londonerWhat does a MD do on daily basis?anything he feels like doing, he's a boss. if he likes to code, he codes. if he likes to go out to lunch with a client, he does. if he likes to browse internet...

ThinkDifferent

best quant role

December 20th, 2011, 8:11 pm

LOL it's completely the opposite. MD has almost zero choice as to what he is going to do. If he likes to bugger off early home, or come in late, he can't cause he is crazy busy with work. Dialing in to a meeting 7am, or 10pm is more than normal.Seeing how MDs work at my firm, the only thing i don't feel sorry about them is their pay. Everything else is a nightmare.
Last edited by ThinkDifferent on December 19th, 2011, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DevonFangs

best quant role

December 20th, 2011, 8:12 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: londonerWhat is the best quant role as measured in (intellectual+financial reward)/(work hours+stress+noisy environment)?From what I gather, the optimal quant role under this measure is perhaps the high-end modelling/methodologies role, be it related to pricing or risk. These guys don't have to sit on the noisy trading floor, and get interesting problems to work on. They still need to write codes, but the codes are more like prototype rather than production. Besides, if they take the time to publish their work, they will make a name for themselves, which will be valued in their career down the road. The pay is typically lower than that of front office quants, but is good compared to model validation and other risk roles. What do you think?Sorry dude, but it's a stupid question.
Last edited by DevonFangs on December 19th, 2011, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DevonFangs

best quant role

December 20th, 2011, 8:13 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ThinkDifferentLOL it's completely the opposite. MD has almost zero choice as to what he is going to do. If he likes to bugger off early home, or have a come in late, he can't cause he is crazy busy with work. Dialing in to a meeting 7am, or 10pm is more than normal.Seeing how MDs work at my firm, the only thing i don't feel sorry about them is their pay. Everything else is a nightmare.How much does a "fresh" MD make in risk modelling? And in FO? And in model val?I don't think people in risk make more money that MV guys.
Last edited by DevonFangs on December 19th, 2011, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ThinkDifferent

best quant role

December 20th, 2011, 8:55 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsQuoteOriginally posted by: ThinkDifferentLOL it's completely the opposite. MD has almost zero choice as to what he is going to do. If he likes to bugger off early home, or have a come in late, he can't cause he is crazy busy with work. Dialing in to a meeting 7am, or 10pm is more than normal.Seeing how MDs work at my firm, the only thing i don't feel sorry about them is their pay. Everything else is a nightmare.How much does a "fresh" MD make in risk modelling? And in FO? And in model val?I don't think people in risk make more money that MV guys.In market risk, those guys that are ex traders manage to get offered numbers that are by far higher than anyone in model val gets.In general, my impression is that model val base salary numbers are not any lower than in market risk (or even FO quants). It's bonus that makes a difference. In our team (model val) the only MD is the head of the team. There are quite a few MDs in market risk. As for FO quants, there are 4 or 5 MDs there, who been there for ages...so i can only guess how much they get paid.
Last edited by ThinkDifferent on December 19th, 2011, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quantmeh

best quant role

December 20th, 2011, 9:28 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsHow much does a "fresh" MD make in risk modelling?

TinMan

best quant role

December 20th, 2011, 10:18 pm

Stupid question with even more stupid answers.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On