SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

londoner
Topic Author

best quant role

December 20th, 2011, 11:20 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: AbhiJDude, everyone's definition is different. Some guys are stress-o-holics and the equation for them would be: (intellectual+financial reward)*(work hours+stress+noisy environment).Financial reward doesn't come without stress and high working hours , more like its positively co-related.Just because everyone's definition is different, I put down the objective measure at the very beginning. The question is about the best quant role w.r.t. this measure, as opposed to your own measure. But it seems that only quantmeh understood the question. Isn't that this forum is full of smart guys???

londoner
Topic Author

best quant role

December 20th, 2011, 11:23 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehQuoteOriginally posted by: londonerWhat does a MD do on daily basis?anything he feels like doing, he's a boss. if he likes to code, he codes. if he likes to go out to lunch with a client, he does. if he likes to browse internet...Anything below MD is good?

quantmeh

best quant role

December 21st, 2011, 1:12 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: londonerQuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehQuoteOriginally posted by: londonerWhat does a MD do on daily basis?anything he feels like doing, he's a boss. if he likes to code, he codes. if he likes to go out to lunch with a client, he does. if he likes to browse internet...Anything below MD is good?not really. the next best thing's the job, which will get you to MD fastest, which hs got to be closer to where money's made: sales

BramJ

best quant role

December 21st, 2011, 1:50 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: londonerQuoteOriginally posted by: AbhiJDude, everyone's definition is different. Some guys are stress-o-holics and the equation for them would be: (intellectual+financial reward)*(work hours+stress+noisy environment).Financial reward doesn't come without stress and high working hours , more like its positively co-related.Just because everyone's definition is different, I put down the objective measure at the very beginning. The question is about the best quant role w.r.t. this measure, as opposed to your own measure. But it seems that only quantmeh understood the question. Isn't that this forum is full of smart guys???Being too lazy too google/search the forum + ask a silly question + whining when nobody takes you serious = annoying. IF you had bother to search for about 5 mins, for sure you would have stumbled upon MJ's guide to what different types of quants do.Anyway, how about becoming a monk. Call it an evocation an it ain't work, so the hours are 0. Moreover, accepting some deity or something might resolve an array of spiritual issues, so no stress. Find some brotherhood where everybody takes a vow of silence and noise is very small. Study some interesting stuff and I think you're well on your way to maximizing your objective function.

londoner
Topic Author

best quant role

December 21st, 2011, 4:22 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: BramJQuoteOriginally posted by: londonerQuoteOriginally posted by: AbhiJDude, everyone's definition is different. Some guys are stress-o-holics and the equation for them would be: (intellectual+financial reward)*(work hours+stress+noisy environment).Financial reward doesn't come without stress and high working hours , more like its positively co-related.Just because everyone's definition is different, I put down the objective measure at the very beginning. The question is about the best quant role w.r.t. this measure, as opposed to your own measure. But it seems that only quantmeh understood the question. Isn't that this forum is full of smart guys???Being too lazy too google/search the forum + ask a silly question + whining when nobody takes you serious = annoying. IF you had bother to search for about 5 mins, for sure you would have stumbled upon MJ's guide to what different types of quants do.Anyway, how about becoming a monk. Call it an evocation an it ain't work, so the hours are 0. Moreover, accepting some deity or something might resolve an array of spiritual issues, so no stress. Find some brotherhood where everybody takes a vow of silence and noise is very small. Study some interesting stuff and I think you're well on your way to maximizing your objective function.Are you drunk?

blackstormcap

best quant role

December 21st, 2011, 4:54 am

money-making quants are the best quants

croot

best quant role

December 21st, 2011, 6:31 am

Quote Anyway, how about becoming a monk. ... Are you drunk?Yea, seriously, have you any idea how hard it is to land a spot in a decent monastery these days? Competition is fierce. What's more, most monk jobs are really just glorified copyists, I'd say the percentage of their time spent pursuing internal peace is well below 10%. And for that part, they get no kudos from senior clerics.This post 100% tee-total.
Last edited by croot on December 20th, 2011, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gamal

best quant role

December 21st, 2011, 7:28 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: blackstormcapmoney-making quants are the best quantsTherefore traders are the best quants. It is known by the community since ever, in paradise quants are promoted to traders. But quant work isn't traders' hell, traders in hell just do what they used to do. And always lose.

Hansi

best quant role

December 21st, 2011, 7:29 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: crootQuote Anyway, how about becoming a monk. ... Are you drunk?Yea, seriously, have you any idea how hard it is to land a spot in a decent monastery these days? Competition is fierce. What's more, most monk jobs are really just glorified copyists, I'd say the percentage of their time spent pursuing internal peace is well below 10%. And for that part, they get no kudos from senior clerics.This post 100% tee-total.

AbhiJ

best quant role

December 21st, 2011, 8:04 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: londonerQuoteOriginally posted by: AbhiJDude, everyone's definition is different. Some guys are stress-o-holics and the equation for them would be: (intellectual+financial reward)*(work hours+stress+noisy environment).Financial reward doesn't come without stress and high working hours , more like its positively co-related.Just because everyone's definition is different, I put down the objective measure at the very beginning. The question is about the best quant role w.r.t. this measure, as opposed to your own measure. But it seems that only quantmeh understood the question. Isn't that this forum is full of smart guys???Quantmeh has understood the question but answered a position and not a role . Have you tried thinking why everyone is calling this a silly question ?

DevonFangs

best quant role

December 21st, 2011, 10:31 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: HansiQuoteOriginally posted by: crootQuote Anyway, how about becoming a monk. ... Are you drunk?Yea, seriously, have you any idea how hard it is to land a spot in a decent monastery these days? Competition is fierce. What's more, most monk jobs are really just glorified copyists, I'd say the percentage of their time spent pursuing internal peace is well below 10%. And for that part, they get no kudos from senior clerics.This post 100% tee-total.LOL

BramJ

best quant role

December 21st, 2011, 8:12 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: crootQuote Anyway, how about becoming a monk. ... Are you drunk?Yea, seriously, have you any idea how hard it is to land a spot in a decent monastery these days? Competition is fierce. What's more, most monk jobs are really just glorified copyists, I'd say the percentage of their time spent pursuing internal peace is well below 10%. And for that part, they get no kudos from senior clerics.This post 100% tee-total.I apologize to all monks out there. I didn't mean any disrespect.

Cuchulainn

best quant role

December 21st, 2011, 8:48 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: BramJQuoteOriginally posted by: crootQuote Anyway, how about becoming a monk. ... Are you drunk?Yea, seriously, have you any idea how hard it is to land a spot in a decent monastery these days? Competition is fierce. What's more, most monk jobs are really just glorified copyists, I'd say the percentage of their time spent pursuing internal peace is well below 10%. And for that part, they get no kudos from senior clerics.This post 100% tee-total.I apologize to all monks out there. I didn't mean any disrespect.And don't forget hermits. They don't get often.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on December 20th, 2011, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Step over the gap, not into it. Watch the space between platform and train.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On