SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

louiscarruthers
Topic Author

Is joining a proprietary trading firm a good idea?

January 4th, 2012, 12:58 am

In the somewhat-distant future, I want to be a senior high frequency trader or something along those lines. I applied to a bunch of MFE programs but since most of them don't start until September, I have 9 months or so to kill. Also I'm in NYC.I was looking online and saw that there are prop trading firms with offices in NYC. If you put down some capital initially, they will train you and let you invest corporate funds. I was wondering, do you think this is a good idea considering my degree path and career path? Or are these things a scam?Thanks very much and happy new year!

yuryr

January 4th, 2012, 9:01 am

"scam" is a very big word... let's say, they are not very sophisticated-)):

prfj

January 4th, 2012, 11:28 am

If you are prepared to not put the experience on your resume, it should teach you some thing or another (but not necessarily a lot).

katastrofa

January 4th, 2012, 4:42 pm

Always steer clear from firms which want you to pay them for working for them.

lexington

January 4th, 2012, 4:45 pm

It generally works like this:You invest $10,000 with them and they will allow you trade up to $100K using their platform. If you make money you keep 80% and they keep 20%. If your losses reach $10K they will kick you out.

capafan2

January 4th, 2012, 4:49 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaAlways steer clear from firms which want you to pay them for working for them.Prop trading typically is how small trading firms operate in other countries (India for example). You invest your money and in return you get access to their systems. Plus there is a social aspect to it. One person I am very close to have been doing this for 30 years in India. He says going to work helps him gain ideas. He is quite successful but not super-duper rich or anything. He is very conservative and believes in staying alive the next day/month/year. Over the years he has built his own client list and makes money from commissions and margins. But primarily his income is from his own trades.

lexington

January 4th, 2012, 4:55 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: capafan2QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaAlways steer clear from firms which want you to pay them for working for them. You invest your money and in return you get access to their systems. .what systems? why should someone pay money to get access to trading software. broker gives everything.

katastrofa

January 4th, 2012, 5:28 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: lexingtonIt generally works like this:You invest $10,000 with them and they will allow you trade up to $100K using their platform. If you make money you keep 80% and they keep 20%. If your losses reach $10K they will kick you out.So they get unlimited upside with the downside being only the electricity you're using, and some gap risk. Sweet.

capafan2

January 4th, 2012, 7:11 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: lexingtonQuoteOriginally posted by: capafan2QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaAlways steer clear from firms which want you to pay them for working for them. You invest your money and in return you get access to their systems. .what systems? why should someone pay money to get access to trading software. broker gives everything.I don't know exactly how the Indian system works. With online brokerages things are changing now but 30 years back you had to pay like 1 crore (approx $250K USD) to buy a broker terminal. Then you would sublet it to people working for you. Most people could afford the terminal, so became sub-brokers, some went down the tube other survived. This person I know just continued working for the same firm (broker) and is quite happy with the arrangement. He just works for himself now and pays some fees I think - but I am not sure. I will ask him when I speak to him. Never thought much of it to ask.

capafan2

January 4th, 2012, 7:14 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaQuoteOriginally posted by: lexingtonIt generally works like this:You invest $10,000 with them and they will allow you trade up to $100K using their platform. If you make money you keep 80% and they keep 20%. If your losses reach $10K they will kick you out.So they get unlimited upside with the downside being only the electricity you're using, and some gap risk. Sweet.It feels glamorous to a lot of people these days with the news about Quant Trading and visions of a cool life where "everyone wants to be you" but it is really not for everyone. I wonder why the OP will simply not use online brokerages like "Interactive Brokers" to try this out himself. Why get something like that on your employment records. Because chances are good that you will fail -statistically speaking.

rmax

January 5th, 2012, 9:25 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: capafan2[/i He says going to work helps him gain ideas. He is quite successful but not super-duper rich or anything. He is very conservative and believes in staying alive the next day/month/year. This is something that is mentioned in the New Market Wizards. You need someone to pitch your questions and answers even if they don't necessarily agree with your conculsion.QuoteSweet.[/QMy thoughts exactly.

riskguru

January 5th, 2012, 4:44 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaQuoteOriginally posted by: lexingtonIt generally works like this:You invest $10,000 with them and they will allow you trade up to $100K using their platform. If you make money you keep 80% and they keep 20%. If your losses reach $10K they will kick you out.So they get unlimited upside with the downside being only the electricity you're using, and some gap risk. Sweet.Well they are also providing you leverage right??

lexington

January 5th, 2012, 5:21 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: riskguruQuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaQuoteOriginally posted by: lexingtonIt generally works like this:You invest $10,000 with them and they will allow you trade up to $100K using their platform. If you make money you keep 80% and they keep 20%. If your losses reach $10K they will kick you out.So they get unlimited upside with the downside being only the electricity you're using, and some gap risk. Sweet.Well they are also providing you leverage right?? Prime Brokerage of a bank provides similar service to hedge funds.

rmax

January 5th, 2012, 6:05 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: lexingtonQuoteOriginally posted by: riskguruQuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaQuoteOriginally posted by: lexingtonIt generally works like this:You invest $10,000 with them and they will allow you trade up to $100K using their platform. If you make money you keep 80% and they keep 20%. If your losses reach $10K they will kick you out.So they get unlimited upside with the downside being only the electricity you're using, and some gap risk. Sweet.Well they are also providing you leverage right?? Prime Brokerage of a bank provides similar service to hedge funds.Key difference is that PB gets paid a funding rate. Great business to be in as the Head of that business used to describe it to me: money for old rope.

Orbit

January 9th, 2012, 1:56 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: louiscarruthersIn the somewhat-distant future, I want to be a senior high frequency trader or something along those lines. I applied to a bunch of MFE programs but since most of them don't start until September, I have 9 months or so to kill. Also I'm in NYC.I was looking online and saw that there are prop trading firms with offices in NYC. If you put down some capital initially, they will train you and let you invest corporate funds. I was wondering, do you think this is a good idea considering my degree path and career path? Or are these things a scam?Thanks very much and happy new year!Complete.Waste.Of.Time.Anything you do where your income is somehow dependent upon a random series of events beyond your control will not work. The game is rigged. You cannot and will not win.If it were possible that you would "win," that is, actually make a living, then all the chatter on message boards would be questions about tax advice.People say, "I know a guy, who makes a nice living, not a fortune, mind you, but a nice living..." because it sounds reasonable. It just isn't true. Nobody wins. You make money in finance by charging other people fees or carry. Not by "trading" in this way.Sorry. It's the truth.DONT WASTE YOUR TIME IT"S THE ONLY THING YOU REALLY "OWN"
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On