SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

albertmills
Topic Author

finding the time to study while working full time

January 18th, 2012, 4:59 am

I've seen lots of advice on this forum that tells people to stay at their current job, and if they want to switch careers, take a few months/year to study some material (CFA, various text books, practice programming) and then try to switch. To anyone who's ever done this -- how did you find the time to study? I mean i get up at 7:30 am end work at 6, go to the gym (you sort of have to if you sit at a desk all day), and after shower/driving/meal, might get home about 8, so ok, then I have 4 hours -- which i'm typically too tired to do anything with other than watch some tv and surf some websites.anyone been more successful and effectively using their limited free time? any advice?
Last edited by albertmills on January 17th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

capafan2

January 18th, 2012, 5:08 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: albertmillsI've seen lots of advice on this forum that tells people to stay at their current job, and if they want to switch careers, take a few months/year to study some material (CFA, various text books, practice programming) and then try to switch. To anyone who's ever done this -- how did you find the time to study? I mean i get up at 7:30 am end work at 6, go to the gym (you sort of have to if you sit at a desk all day), and after shower/driving/meal, might get home about 8, so ok, then I have 4 hours -- which i'm typically too tired to do anything with other than watch some tv and surf some websites.anyone been more successful and effectively using their limited free time? any advice?One person I know did it very well. But he was in IT and had manipulated his work env such that he was the only guy who knew how to do something and never had to work more than 7-8 hours at work. He was not in GS. No way you can do that there, IT or otherwise.

Bentley

January 18th, 2012, 6:57 am

well..in my case I try to use weekends...I usually wake up early and I manage to get about 4 hours till my wife wake up...anyway, the fact of studying at home after long hours at the desk almost cost me my marriage...women requires way too much attention!!!!Another option is staying at the office a couple of hours more twice a week and use those extras hours to do your stuff (at the risk of end up working 2 extra hours as once you are at the office you never know who will be there asking something from you)...good luck wwth it

Hansi

January 18th, 2012, 7:55 am

My day is pretty similar in terms of time and I generally try to either go to the gym around 6.30 and then having some energy left to look at the books after work or failing that assign myself 30-60 minutes after gym in the evening that I have to spend on reading something productive before procrastinating into mindless browsing and TV watching. Generally things get pushed till the weekend though.For the CFA and similar go for whichever shortcuts are available, the Schweiser notes etc and classes help by condensing the material and the classes make you focus better than just self studying.
Last edited by Hansi on January 17th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Panoramix

January 18th, 2012, 9:23 am

Hi everyone.I would like to share my personal experience. I usually start working around 8:00 and i finish at 18:30 if everything is smooth. I arrive at home around 19:00 and after a little bit of rest and eating, i still have a good amount of time to study. It is clear and normal that i do not have a fresh mind and i take back home part of my workday (i am a junior loving his work and maybe too much anxious) and if i add the fact that 2 nights a week i have a french language course and a girlfriend, time is almost over. At the end i tried to manage the time, and above all the weekends, i am able to study almost 20 hours a week. I know it is not so much and also i know that i am giving up all my personal life, but if you want to improve, nothing comes for free. What i may suggest is to find someone to study with: competition is able to make it better and, above all, you are able to share thoughts about a theme of common interest.Also i think it is a good idea to invest your spare time to get something better, maybe in a far away future considering the nowadays market conditions.Hope this could helpPano
Last edited by Panoramix on January 17th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

traderjoe1976

January 18th, 2012, 11:17 am

Your textbooks and all study materials should be in pdf format or available online for reading. Your notes should all be in MS-WORD documents so that you can cut and paste stuff from the pdf files and online materials.Keep a couple of extra windows open on your laptop at work.You should be able to squeeze in about 4 hours of study in a 12-hour work-day.People rarely question you because you are expected to read up stuff to help you in your work.

capafan2

January 18th, 2012, 11:49 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: traderjoe1976Your textbooks and all study materials should be in pdf format or available online for reading. Your notes should all be in MS-WORD documents so that you can cut and paste stuff from the pdf files and online materials.Keep a couple of extra windows open on your laptop at work.You should be able to squeeze in about 4 hours of study in a 12-hour work-day.People rarely question you because you are expected to read up stuff to help you in your work.Truly excellent advice. Glad you said it as people seem very loathe to admit that they study at work. No one works like crazy for 12 hours. Atleast you physically and mentally cannot if you are studying along with it. You will simply burn out. However it is hard to do if you are attempting to transition from IT or Quant. It is difficult to use that excuse of reading stuff at work, especially if people know if are doing an MFE, with all those Math equations. Not that OP implied MFE. But if you are doing an MBA, you can just leave things open and no one can tell. Try to get a corner seat if possible. So much easier to hide by turning the computer just the right way. And about a month or two before you start school just have those sheets on your monitor which people use to prevent eavesdropping. People will just get used to calling you paranoid and laughing at you behind your back while you start exploiting it 2-3 months down the line. Basically it gives you plenty of time to hit alt-tab.

ppauper

January 18th, 2012, 12:22 pm

as others have said, sneak a few hours at work, and then there is the weekend

CrashedMint

January 18th, 2012, 12:56 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: albertmillscurrent job... i get up at 7:30 am end work at 6So you effectively work from 8 or 9 until 6. Not trying to be mean here but this sounds like a very relaxed workload. It's a mere 9 or so hours, even at internships I had to do pretty much 50% more, so I think it's easily possible to squeeze in some work. You could simply stay a few extra hours in the office and then study at your desk while your colleagues are gone. I think this is easier than to force yourself back to studying after doing sports, commuting home, eating dinner etc.
Last edited by CrashedMint on January 17th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

albertmills
Topic Author

January 18th, 2012, 2:52 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintQuoteOriginally posted by: albertmillscurrent job... i get up at 7:30 am end work at 6So you effectively work from 8 or 9 until 6. Not trying to be mean here but this sounds like a very relaxed workload. It's a mere 9 or so hours, even at internships I had to do pretty much 50% more, so I think it's easily possible to squeeze in some work. You could simply stay a few extra hours in the office and then study at your desk while your colleagues are gone. I think this is easier than to force yourself back to studying after doing sports, commuting home, eating dinner etc.if you're working those types of hours doing anything less than something you love, or making short of 300 g's, i say it's not worth it, and you're being badly used.oh, and i'm an engineer -- i have to bill all my hours to client projects, clients expect results and there are never enough hours at work, so i'm sort of screwed with the study at work bit.I say, quit your job, and work part time, or go back to schcool full time, or find some job you love, because there is no way to accomplish something outside of work while working full time unless you're truly exceptional (as in mike burry or albert einstein -- both successfully studied part time)

CrashedMint

January 18th, 2012, 3:44 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: albertmillsQuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintQuoteOriginally posted by: albertmillscurrent job... i get up at 7:30 am end work at 6So you effectively work from 8 or 9 until 6. Not trying to be mean here but this sounds like a very relaxed workload. It's a mere 9 or so hours, even at internships I had to do pretty much 50% more, so I think it's easily possible to squeeze in some work. You could simply stay a few extra hours in the office and then study at your desk while your colleagues are gone. I think this is easier than to force yourself back to studying after doing sports, commuting home, eating dinner etc.if you're working those types of hours doing anything less than something you love, or making short of 300 g's, i say it's not worth it, and you're being badly used.oh, and i'm an engineer -- i have to bill all my hours to client projects, clients expect results and there are never enough hours at work, so i'm sort of screwed with the study at work bit.I say, quit your job, and work part time, or go back to schcool full time, or find some job you love, because there is no way to accomplish something outside of work while working full time unless you're truly exceptional (as in mike burry or albert einstein -- both successfully studied part time)Do you have a choice?If you don't come from a really rich, really well-connected background then you basically must work really hard to accomplish something. So if I tell [insert top-tier bank here] that I'd be available from 9-5 then they will probably just be like "Bye! Have a nice day. See ya... never". My hope is that once you become more senior you can work less, but basically every first job guy i know (not saying entry level here even though for most PhD guys the associate job they tend to get is actually their first job) works around the clock.

EscapeArtist999

January 18th, 2012, 3:57 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintQuoteOriginally posted by: albertmillsQuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintQuoteOriginally posted by: albertmillscurrent job... i get up at 7:30 am end work at 6So you effectively work from 8 or 9 until 6. Not trying to be mean here but this sounds like a very relaxed workload. It's a mere 9 or so hours, even at internships I had to do pretty much 50% more, so I think it's easily possible to squeeze in some work. You could simply stay a few extra hours in the office and then study at your desk while your colleagues are gone. I think this is easier than to force yourself back to studying after doing sports, commuting home, eating dinner etc.if you're working those types of hours doing anything less than something you love, or making short of 300 g's, i say it's not worth it, and you're being badly used.oh, and i'm an engineer -- i have to bill all my hours to client projects, clients expect results and there are never enough hours at work, so i'm sort of screwed with the study at work bit.I say, quit your job, and work part time, or go back to schcool full time, or find some job you love, because there is no way to accomplish something outside of work while working full time unless you're truly exceptional (as in mike burry or albert einstein -- both successfully studied part time)Do you have a choice?If you don't come from a really rich, really well-connected background then you basically must work really hard to accomplish something. So if I tell [insert top-tier bank here] that I'd be available from 9-5 then they will probably just be like "Bye! Have a nice day. See ya... never". My hope is that once you become more senior you can work less, but basically every first job guy i know (not saying entry level here even though for most PhD guys the associate job they tend to get is actually their first job) works around the clock.you make working as a quant seem like the acme of pleasure and satisfaction!

quantmeh

January 18th, 2012, 7:54 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: albertmillshow did you find the time to study?you must become much more efficient than your colleagues, so that work doesn't spill over normal working hours too often. then you wake up really early morning and study. also you become very efficient in managing time. and proficient with study tools: anything that can increase your efficiency, tablet computers, cloud, VMs, Dropbox, SVN etc. so that you can study anywhere, on the beach, waiting for the bus and so on

CrashedMint

January 18th, 2012, 10:06 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehQuoteOriginally posted by: albertmillshow did you find the time to study?you must become much more efficient than your colleagues, so that work doesn't spill over normal working hours too often. then you wake up really early morning and study. also you become very efficient in managing time. and proficient with study tools: anything that can increase your efficiency, tablet computers, cloud, VMs, Dropbox, SVN etc. so that you can study anywhere, on the beach, waiting for the bus and so onMy hypothesis is that it's almost impossible to do an actual Masters in any subject while working full time but both the CFA and Paul Wilmott's program have been explicitly designed for working professionals, so the material is business-relevant and much more easy than a technical lecture at university and in addition it's broken up into chewable bits.

capafan2

January 18th, 2012, 10:34 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehQuoteOriginally posted by: albertmillshow did you find the time to study?you must become much more efficient than your colleagues, so that work doesn't spill over normal working hours too often. then you wake up really early morning and study. also you become very efficient in managing time. and proficient with study tools: anything that can increase your efficiency, tablet computers, cloud, VMs, Dropbox, SVN etc. so that you can study anywhere, on the beach, waiting for the bus and so onThis happens naturally. You cannot plan for it - just get into the program and your life will manage accordingly. You will automatically start dropping priorities at work. Things which bothered you will stop bothering you (like office politics), you will start making flash-cards (if it is your wont) or using IPad with PDF's more often as you wait anywhere. I once solved an entire homework problem on a restaurant paper mat. It was playing on my mind for the whole day but I was not able to define the exact limits of integration. I was thinking of it and it just happened and I solved it on the paper mat and took it home. Do not think too much about it. Just enroll. If you ask yourself how you can manage it given everything in your life now the answer would be inevitably no. But if you take it up and are committed your life will adjust accordingly. After you finish it you will wonder how you did it. But it will happen.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On