SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

vrat

finding the time to study while working full time

January 19th, 2012, 8:12 am

I like to PDF and write down flash card on blog page, so i can access stuff anytime on my mobile.

ashkar

January 19th, 2012, 9:00 am

Agree with capafan2! Just enroll in something and you'll make time by dropping less priority stuff. I am doing a part-time masters now with 2 evening lectures/week. I read something during lunch for an hour with a sandwich or pasta box in front of me (you must have a sandwich to last you 1 hr otherwise it looks like you're wasting time). I've bought a new smart phone to read pdfs on the tube which helps a lot. I also try to squeeze in 1-2 hrs of studying after dinner/before bed and around 4hrs on saturday and sunday each. I used to go to gym 3-4 days before but now reduced it to once or twice but I can make more time for gym if I choose not to watch any TV after dinner.All this does take a hit on your social life and wife though.

Hansi

January 19th, 2012, 9:08 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ashkar(you must have a sandwich to last you 1 hr otherwise it looks like you're wasting time).http://i.thisislondon.co.uk/i/pix/2011/ ... ch_415.jpg ?QuoteOriginally posted by: ashkarI choose not to watch any TV after dinner.Pretty much required, also skip on RSS reading, forums etc. Installing this is a good idea too:https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... delahlfoji

DDUKON

January 19th, 2012, 10:15 am

I have been studying for FRM and did part time MSc . I usually wake up at 7:30 and work until 6:00. Reach home at 7:00 and by the time I had tea, tv, shower , dinner etc etc, it is usually 9:30 . I study until 12:30 and then go to bed. The there are weekends where I devote at least 4 hrs a day. I usually hit the gym only 3 -4 days a week only. So the days when I go to GYM , my wife cooks for me so no cut in hours there.So total time of study :2hrs daily ( x5 )15mins in the train 8 hrs on weekendSo I get 20hrs almost..NOW THIS IS THE BEST TIP I GOT FROM A FRIEND AND IT WORKDS.NOW THIS IS THE BEST TIP I GOT FROM A FRIEND AND IT WORKS. USE THE TIME IN TUBES/TRAINS TO CATCH UP WHAT YOU STUDIED LAST NIGHT. This helps me a lot. You do not need to concentrate hard which you can not do in the tube anyway but you can refresh yourself with last night study and helps to continue your studies tonight.

DDUKON

January 19th, 2012, 10:18 am

Another thing is , I prefer hard copies than soft copies . Staring on screen and studying from laptops/computers makes your eyes tired very easily.

EscapeArtist999

January 19th, 2012, 11:52 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: DDUKONAnother thing is , I prefer hard copies than soft copies . Staring on screen and studying from laptops/computers makes your eyes tired very easily.A printer?

quantmeh

January 19th, 2012, 1:05 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintMy hypothesis is that it's almost impossible to do an actual Masters in any subject while working full time it's very difficult. that's why you shouldn't think about and enroll, as others suggested. once you're in you realize that it's close to nightmare, but it's too late to retreat, so you slug along and finish.

quantmeh

January 19th, 2012, 1:10 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DDUKONNOW THIS IS THE BEST TIP I GOT FROM A FRIEND AND IT WORKS. USE THE TIME IN TUBES/TRAINS TO CATCH UP WHAT YOU STUDIED LAST NIGHT. some people have vertigo, and can't study in the train this advice is along the lines i wrote before: become more efficient. e.g. read while spending time with family, wifey is watching soaps, and you read papers

DDUKON

January 19th, 2012, 1:58 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehQuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintMy hypothesis is that it's almost impossible to do an actual Masters in any subject while working full time it's very difficult. that's why you shouldn't think about and enroll, as others suggested. once you're in you realize that it's close to nightmare, but it's too late to retreat, so you slug along and finish.It is difficult but not impossible . You do not have to be an Einstein to do it . Even an average mind can do it with strong will.

DevonFangs

January 19th, 2012, 2:15 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DDUKONQuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehQuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintMy hypothesis is that it's almost impossible to do an actual Masters in any subject while working full time it's very difficult. that's why you shouldn't think about and enroll, as others suggested. once you're in you realize that it's close to nightmare, but it's too late to retreat, so you slug along and finish.It is difficult but not impossible . You do not have to be an Einstein to do it . Even an average mind can do it with strong will.I *love* how scientists rank minds. An average mind. Please.

quantmeh

January 19th, 2012, 2:21 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsI *love* how scientists rank minds. An average mind. Please.Landau ranked them in log scale. so the next level is 10 times smarter

albertmills
Topic Author

January 19th, 2012, 3:26 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehQuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsI *love* how scientists rank minds. An average mind. Please.Landau ranked them in log scale. so the next level is 10 times smarter whenever i want to feel stupid i realize that i would have trouble fully comprehending just one of landau's volumes...and he actually wrote something like 7 of them...and that was just a minor part of his life's work. puts the term genius in perspective.
Last edited by albertmills on January 18th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AbhiJ

January 22nd, 2012, 11:51 am

It all depends on how much desire, interest, motivation you have for the goal. If you are truly interested you will accomplish your goal, you will make a long term plan, make necessary adjustments. Think that you have to date a pretty girl after 12 hours of work day - would you find time for her - sure as hell you would.

farmer

January 22nd, 2012, 12:42 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: albertmillsgo to the gym (you sort of have to if you sit at a desk all day)... i'm typically too tired to do anything with other than watch some tv and surf some websites.You don't have to go to the gym. It doesn't help you lose weight. I have never seen anyone with poor muscle definition gain more than one shade after hours of work. And so far as cardiovascular fitness, you don't need to run away from anyone, and it just ages your blood vessels for no point.The reason you are tired is BECAUSE you are going to the gym. So this idiotic fashion you have picked up from television like a zombie, is costing you six hours a day!

quantmeh

January 22nd, 2012, 3:48 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: albertmillsi would have trouble fully comprehending just one of landau's volumes...elasticity theory volume was the thinnest, you should handle it fine
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On