SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

DevonFangs

finding the time to study while working full time

January 25th, 2012, 8:49 am

Last edited by DevonFangs on January 24th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mynetself

January 25th, 2012, 8:54 am

QuoteI have often wondered if "farmer" is a breakthrough experiment in Artificial Intelligence. His responses are coherent yet suddenly illogical. Every now and then he can have logical and intense conversation and just like that he comes out with a beauty like that which makes him seem like a learning algorithm in natural language processing. I think we are just guinea pigs. Once we are finally convinced with all his responses the experiment will be considered a success and it will herald a breakthrough in Artificial Intelligence.LOLfarmer, thank you. Your comments are making my day. And I don't know if it's what you say or that you are completely delusional about it. But thank you anyway.
Last edited by mynetself on January 24th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DDUKON

January 25th, 2012, 9:10 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: lexingtonQuoteOriginally posted by: capafan2 And this thread was about studying while working........People Who Quit Their Jobs and Made MillionsWe are still on the topic. So to summarise , I do it in the train,rest all do it in the gym and farmer does it while having sex with strippers.Gentlemen , Am I right ?

Cuchulainn

January 25th, 2012, 9:10 am

A Jesuit was in his office smoking a cigar as he prayed the Divine Office. His secretary noticed him smoking and asked if that was permissible. The Jesuit responded "I don't know, I've never asked. I'll ask my superior tomorrow." The next day, he reported to his secretary that "I asked my superior, and he said, 'Of course it's okay to pray while you smoke!'"

farmer

January 25th, 2012, 11:46 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: mynetselffarmer, thank you. Your comments are making my day. And I don't know if it's what you say or that you are completely delusional about it. But thank you anyway.Next time you are at the gym, just consider that you could instead be spending your time making more money, or studying to make more money, to screw more strippers. And while you are lifting weights, or sweating as you push yourself another mile, just consider that if you were instead smoking, you could be making money or studying all night at the same time. And you would be thinner and more relaxed doing it.And I thought about why smoking makes people look cool. It is because guys stick their jaw out like a superhero to hold the cigarette, and girls make the duck face like in facebook, without even thinking about it.
Last edited by farmer on January 24th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prfj

January 25th, 2012, 12:24 pm

Farmer has a point, it's just a psychological law, eventhough I would never start smoking to lose weight.If combining work and study would be possible at all, which I know it is for certain programmes as I did it myself (executive master in business), OP's best advice would probably be to read a book about how to keep up willpower.

farmer

January 25th, 2012, 1:12 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: prfjFarmer has a point, it's just a psychological law, eventhough I would never start smoking to lose weight.If you don't currently smoke, it is probably not because you are some smart, health-minded person. It is probably because you do not have an addictive brain physiology. In this case, you can smoke as few or as many cigarettes as you like for as long as you like, and the term "start smoking" - which implies "become addicted" - can be misleading.If you have some exams to study for, you can smoke one or two cigarettes at these two moments in your life when they will be most useful, and then never smoke again. Or maybe you will smoke two again, a few months later, when you are trying to lose some weight and also prepare a dissertation or a legal defense, or finish an IT project, whatever.We live in a world where most discussion of smokers applies to cigarette addicts (since non-addicts generally do not smoke, and if they do, they do not face the same problems addicts face). If you do not smoke, you are probably not an addict or potential addict. And therefore most things you hear about smoking probably do not apply to you.Smoking also helps you pick up strippers. Because it projects an air that you are non-judgmental.

mynetself

January 25th, 2012, 1:14 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerQuoteOriginally posted by: mynetselffarmer, thank you. Your comments are making my day. And I don't know if it's what you say or that you are completely delusional about it. But thank you anyway.Next time you are at the gym, just consider that you could instead be spending your time making more money, or studying to make more money, to screw more strippers. And while you are lifting weights, or sweating as you push yourself another mile, just consider that if you were instead smoking, you could be making money or studying all night at the same time. And you would be thinner and more relaxed doing it.No, but I will think about you when banging a stripper so I'll last longer.

cryptic26

January 27th, 2012, 4:43 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerQuoteOriginally posted by: mynetselffarmer, thank you. Your comments are making my day. And I don't know if it's what you say or that you are completely delusional about it. But thank you anyway.Next time you are at the gym, just consider that you could instead be spending your time making more money, or studying to make more money, to screw more strippers. And while you are lifting weights, or sweating as you push yourself another mile, just consider that if you were instead smoking, you could be making money or studying all night at the same time. And you would be thinner and more relaxed doing it.And I thought about why smoking makes people look cool. It is because guys stick their jaw out like a superhero to hold the cigarette, and girls make the duck face like in facebook, without even thinking about it.Although different choice of words, I would say the same [essentially]. Stop wasting time at the gym every day. Go on Saturdays, Friday evenings and at the most one more day in a week. In fact, all I do is just 2 days at gym (and sometimes 1 day during the weekend). But mostly in the morning and evenings, am doing yoga for at least 20 minutes. It does not tire you but makes you feel fresh. Smoke less, drink less. Better still don't smoke or drink. It helps you focus better.

Cuchulainn

January 27th, 2012, 7:57 am

Gym is very bad.Better is to do sprint running or sports that get the heart rate up to 190 beats/min for short periods.

DevonFangs

January 27th, 2012, 11:50 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnGym is very bad.Better is to do sprint running or sports that get the heart rate up to 190 beats/min for short periods.Gym is good. If you're physically fit, subconsciously people think differently of you. I'm not talking about quants, though.

Hansi

January 27th, 2012, 12:16 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnGym is very bad.Better is to do sprint running or sports that get the heart rate up to 190 beats/min for short periods.I generally do that at the gym so that's a bit of confusing answer. Crossfit, HIIT etc.QuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnGym is very bad.Better is to do sprint running or sports that get the heart rate up to 190 beats/min for short periods.Gym is good. If you're physically fit, subconsciously people think differently of you. I'm not talking about quants, though.People will assume that you are dumper than the average quant if you're fit.

Anomanderis

January 27th, 2012, 12:20 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnGym is very bad.Better is to do sprint running or sports that get the heart rate up to 190 beats/min for short periods.Gym is good. If you're physically fit, subconsciously people think differently of you. I'm not talking about quants, though.They both work. The "crux" of the matter is how much/well you do it. I don't have time (or to be honest, resources) to spend at the gym. So three days a week I wake up at 3am and run between 4 and 7 miles. I also put myself on an "extreme" diet for the next 3 months. I've lost ~6Kg in the last 3 weeks (I was a rather pudgy person see).That said - I don't have the stamina for an extended run, I initially started by jogging in 200-400m bursts (yes, jogging! Not running). Now I run close to a mile before I need to rest (rest here means walk for 100-200metres). Either way, I get the mileage. And I lose the weight. My point? Several short bursts of high intensity cardio will work. Repeated jogging will work. The bottom line is: Burn more than you eat, and you WILL lose weight. C'mon, it's simple math, this is a quant forum!
Last edited by Anomanderis on January 26th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DevonFangs

January 27th, 2012, 12:23 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Hansi People will assume that you are dumper than the average quant if you're fit.Quants will think so. And this is basically because quants, like myself, are often stupid.

Hansi

January 27th, 2012, 12:33 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: AnomanderisI've lost ~6Kg in the last 3 weeks (I was a rather pudgy person see).This is okay to begin with, just be careful not to be too agressive in maintaining this loss.On average you can loose about 0.9kg of weight a week without impacting muscle tissue, beyond that you start loosing muscle mass.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On