SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

CrashedMint

finding the time to study while working full time

June 13th, 2012, 12:04 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerQuoteOriginally posted by: mynetselfThis might be easy to explain, depending on the time length considered. What I mean is that if you're a fat chump and start exercising regularly, you'll start feeling completely knackered for quite some time, and only then you'll start to experiencing the benefits. It takes time for the body to adjust to the new lifestyle. Just like when you start a diet, before you start losing fat (not pissing out excess water!) it's gonna take some time. So it's possible the people in the study that were found worse off were still adjusting to the changes. And even if the results were confirmed over long periods of time (1+ yrs), there's still a 90% chance you'll be better off. I'll take the risk.Would you be willing to provide your real name? The Journal of the American Medical Association wants to publish your finding in their next issue.Kinda makes sense right.So without reading through any of the chain here, let me rephrase the "findings".... ok, here it goes: "One: Not sitting on your sofa all day is good for you, especially if you don't have a medical condition that makes sitting on your sofa all day seem like a good choice. Two: Don't fucking overdo it. It's probably healthy to run a few miles but if your a fat asshole with a heart condition you might not want to do a marathon in mid July."

mynetself

June 13th, 2012, 7:39 pm

QuoteKinda makes sense right.So without reading through any of the chain here, let me rephrase the "findings".... ok, here it goes: "One: Not sitting on your sofa all day is good for you, especially if you don't have a medical condition that makes sitting on your sofa all day seem like a good choice. Two: Don't fucking overdo it. It's probably healthy to run a few miles but if your a fat asshole with a heart condition you might not want to do a marathon in mid July."I was trying to be a bit more subtle about it, but yeah, that's pretty much what I was trying to say, with an extra bit: "If you are a fat a**hole, and you do start doing sport regularly, don't be surprised if you don't get health overnight and actually get slightly worse off before you are better off."I did send my details to the JAMA, who were impressed and passed my details to a med company. They've offered me a quant trader job. Sounds dodgy though, wouldn't wanna end up building an automated trading system for an organ trading organization.

CrashedMint

June 13th, 2012, 9:10 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: mynetselfQuoteKinda makes sense right.So without reading through any of the chain here, let me rephrase the "findings".... ok, here it goes: "One: Not sitting on your sofa all day is good for you, especially if you don't have a medical condition that makes sitting on your sofa all day seem like a good choice. Two: Don't fucking overdo it. It's probably healthy to run a few miles but if your a fat asshole with a heart condition you might not want to do a marathon in mid July."I was trying to be a bit more subtle about it, but yeah, that's pretty much what I was trying to say, with an extra bit: "If you are a fat a**hole, and you do start doing sport regularly, don't be surprised if you don't get health overnight and actually get slightly worse off before you are better off."I did send my details to the JAMA, who were impressed and passed my details to a med company. They've offered me a quant trader job. Sounds dodgy though, wouldn't wanna end up building an automated trading system for an organ trading organization.doesn't sound any more dodgy then what's going on on the jobs boardSUPERSENIOR MD QUALITATIVE MED CONSULTING, BIG PHARMA, PART-TIME WORK (CA. 10 HRS/MONTH), LONDON NEW YORK, JET PROVIDED, £350,000 BASE - XYZ12345

tagoma

June 13th, 2012, 9:21 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintQuoteOriginally posted by: mynetselfQuoteKinda makes sense right.So without reading through any of the chain here, let me rephrase the "findings".... ok, here it goes: "One: Not sitting on your sofa all day is good for you, especially if you don't have a medical condition that makes sitting on your sofa all day seem like a good choice. Two: Don't fucking overdo it. It's probably healthy to run a few miles but if your a fat asshole with a heart condition you might not want to do a marathon in mid July."I was trying to be a bit more subtle about it, but yeah, that's pretty much what I was trying to say, with an extra bit: "If you are a fat a**hole, and you do start doing sport regularly, don't be surprised if you don't get health overnight and actually get slightly worse off before you are better off."I did send my details to the JAMA, who were impressed and passed my details to a med company. They've offered me a quant trader job. Sounds dodgy though, wouldn't wanna end up building an automated trading system for an organ trading organization.doesn't sound any more dodgy then what's going on on the jobs boardSUPERSENIOR MD QUALITATIVE MED CONSULTING, BIG PHARMA, PART-TIME WORK (CA. 10 HRS/MONTH), LONDON NEW YORK, JET PROVIDED, £350,000 BASE - XYZ12345a job in the uk involving a royal salary. that does make sense.

Anomanderis

June 13th, 2012, 9:27 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintQuoteOriginally posted by: mynetselfQuoteKinda makes sense right.So without reading through any of the chain here, let me rephrase the "findings".... ok, here it goes: "One: Not sitting on your sofa all day is good for you, especially if you don't have a medical condition that makes sitting on your sofa all day seem like a good choice. Two: Don't fucking overdo it. It's probably healthy to run a few miles but if your a fat asshole with a heart condition you might not want to do a marathon in mid July."I was trying to be a bit more subtle about it, but yeah, that's pretty much what I was trying to say, with an extra bit: "If you are a fat a**hole, and you do start doing sport regularly, don't be surprised if you don't get health overnight and actually get slightly worse off before you are better off."I did send my details to the JAMA, who were impressed and passed my details to a med company. They've offered me a quant trader job. Sounds dodgy though, wouldn't wanna end up building an automated trading system for an organ trading organization.doesn't sound any more dodgy then what's going on on the jobs boardSUPERSENIOR MD QUALITATIVE MED CONSULTING, BIG PHARMA, PART-TIME WORK (CA. 10 HRS/MONTH), LONDON NEW YORK, JET PROVIDED, £350,000 BASE - XYZ12345Ah. The elusive medical quant.

Hansi

June 13th, 2012, 10:13 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: AnomanderisQuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintQuoteOriginally posted by: mynetselfQuoteKinda makes sense right.So without reading through any of the chain here, let me rephrase the "findings".... ok, here it goes: "One: Not sitting on your sofa all day is good for you, especially if you don't have a medical condition that makes sitting on your sofa all day seem like a good choice. Two: Don't fucking overdo it. It's probably healthy to run a few miles but if your a fat asshole with a heart condition you might not want to do a marathon in mid July."I was trying to be a bit more subtle about it, but yeah, that's pretty much what I was trying to say, with an extra bit: "If you are a fat a**hole, and you do start doing sport regularly, don't be surprised if you don't get health overnight and actually get slightly worse off before you are better off."I did send my details to the JAMA, who were impressed and passed my details to a med company. They've offered me a quant trader job. Sounds dodgy though, wouldn't wanna end up building an automated trading system for an organ trading organization.doesn't sound any more dodgy then what's going on on the jobs boardSUPERSENIOR MD QUALITATIVE MED CONSULTING, BIG PHARMA, PART-TIME WORK (CA. 10 HRS/MONTH), LONDON NEW YORK, JET PROVIDED, £350,000 BASE - XYZ12345Ah. The elusive medical quant.I know a quant developer who went medical doctor -> accountant -> software developer -> quant developer

Anomanderis

June 13th, 2012, 11:04 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: HansiQuoteOriginally posted by: AnomanderisQuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintQuoteOriginally posted by: mynetselfQuoteKinda makes sense right.So without reading through any of the chain here, let me rephrase the "findings".... ok, here it goes: "One: Not sitting on your sofa all day is good for you, especially if you don't have a medical condition that makes sitting on your sofa all day seem like a good choice. Two: Don't fucking overdo it. It's probably healthy to run a few miles but if your a fat asshole with a heart condition you might not want to do a marathon in mid July."I was trying to be a bit more subtle about it, but yeah, that's pretty much what I was trying to say, with an extra bit: "If you are a fat a**hole, and you do start doing sport regularly, don't be surprised if you don't get health overnight and actually get slightly worse off before you are better off."I did send my details to the JAMA, who were impressed and passed my details to a med company. They've offered me a quant trader job. Sounds dodgy though, wouldn't wanna end up building an automated trading system for an organ trading organization.doesn't sound any more dodgy then what's going on on the jobs boardSUPERSENIOR MD QUALITATIVE MED CONSULTING, BIG PHARMA, PART-TIME WORK (CA. 10 HRS/MONTH), LONDON NEW YORK, JET PROVIDED, £350,000 BASE - XYZ12345Ah. The elusive medical quant.I know a quant developer who went medical doctor -> accountant -> software developer -> quant developerHeh. I know something slightly different:Medical doctor -> Trader -> jobsearch.

farmer

July 1st, 2012, 11:36 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerearly in the day eat protein, and get up to speed with sugars. But minimize the need with caffeine. Then later in the day don't eat anything solid. Drink beer and smoke cigarettes if you feel like you really need some food. That stuff goes through your system pretty quick, and then you can lose weight all night and sleep really well.You can take it from me, or you can wait months or years for the so-called "scientists" to figure it out...June 24, 2012 - Dieters have less hunger and cravings throughout the day and are better able to keep off lost weight if they eat a carbohydrate-rich, protein-packed breakfast that includes dessert. These findings come from a new study that will be presented Monday at The Endocrine Society's 94th Annual Meeting in Houston.
Last edited by farmer on June 30th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prfj

July 4th, 2012, 8:44 am

So you reckon 7am dinner is the way to go?

farmer

September 23rd, 2012, 2:34 pm

I acquired an old bicycle, it seems to run smooth enough. So I figured I would ride it to two places to catch some sun, and also as an easy way to make sure I have enough cells to chase thieves and other fugitives on foot, if need be.So anyway on the two days I rode it - I don't even know if I rode it more than a mile or two - I actually needed sleep both days. Normally I don't really need sleep, and I force myself to sleep with various tricks. But after riding a bicycle, I actually relived an old experience that I have not felt for many years. I felt sleepy, and fell into a long, deep sleep.It is a sample size of just one person. But the difference between exercise and not exercise in this one-person experiment is much bigger than I had estimated. Riding a bicycle maybe two miles increased my need for sleep by at least four hours!It may be that you started exercising when you were young. And it is true that young people, and particularly growing people, need sleep. And young people also participate in a lot of physical activities. So it may be that if you kept exercising as you got older, you never realized that as you get older, you stop needing sleep.My grandmother used to not sleep. And she explained to me that as you get older you need less and less sleep. And looking at my family members when I was a child, I was able to validate this claim. It seemed like my parents could stay up late and get up early, and only slept a few hours. Whereas I slept deeply all night.So it may be that some of you young people don't realize how little sleep you need. And if you would just cease all physical activity, you would realize you don't need any. And that feeling of being sleepy and lying there all night in a deep, satisfying sleep would become a faded memory of childhood.

Arjen

November 10th, 2012, 1:14 pm

Hi Albert! Very good question. I see that many people struggle with this finding a good balance between work, personal time, and study time. What I usually advice people to do is chunk all the task that you want to do into little pieces. So don?t try to read an entire chapter or study an entire chapter. Just take two pages or one page. When you do that in, for example, five minutes you can read one page and take some notes you will see that this really adds up. Another thing is that you can try to find audio versions of the books or ask other people that you study with to create a small piece of audio material on a certain chapter. And you do the same and you exchange this information to each other. This way you can use the information or study while jogging, or while at a gym, or while driving to work, or in any other situation. Just listen to the information and you are learning. Of course the weekend is over also a very good time to study but try not to do everything at once. But really try to chunk the pieces of study time to smaller pieces and make that your study time for the day.

Arjen

November 10th, 2012, 1:17 pm

Hi Albert! Very good question. I see that many people struggle with this finding a good balance between work, personal time, and study time. What I usually advice people to do is chunk all the task that you want to do into little pieces. So don?t try to read an entire chapter or study an entire chapter. Just take two pages or one page. When you do that in, for example, five minutes you can read one page and take some notes you will see that this really adds up. Another thing is that you can try to find audio versions of the books or ask other people that you study with to create a small piece of audio material on a certain chapter. And you do the same and you exchange this information to each other. This way you can use the information or study while jogging, or while at a gym, or while driving to work, or in any other situation. Just listen to the information and you are learning. Of course the weekend is over also a very good time to study but try not to do everything at once. But really try to chunk the pieces of study time to smaller pieces and make that your study time for the day.

Cuchulainn

November 10th, 2012, 1:29 pm

QuoteThis way you can use the information or study while driving to work [...]Now I see; you're the guy who causes all those crashes on the A9.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on November 9th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Approach your problem from the right end and begin with the answers. Then one day, perhaps you will find the final question..
R. van Gulik

capafan2

November 10th, 2012, 2:57 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteThis way you can use the information or study while driving to work [...]Now I see; you're the guy who causes all those crashes on the A9.Ho Ho! I once struggled with a HW problem for hours and finally decided to drive to my friends house to have a drink. And worked out a very intricate derivation in my head while driving. The added risk made my brain work like a charm. The same way screwing a stranger without protection has its thrills.

tagoma

November 10th, 2012, 5:17 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ArjenHi Albert! Very good question. I see that many people struggle with this finding a good balance between work, personal time, and study time. What I usually advice people to do is chunk all the task that you want to do into little pieces. So don?t try to read an entire chapter or study an entire chapter. Just take two pages or one page. When you do that in, for example, five minutes you can read one page and take some notes you will see that this really adds up. Another thing is that you can try to find audio versions of the books or ask other people that you study with to create a small piece of audio material on a certain chapter. And you do the same and you exchange this information to each other. This way you can use the information or study while jogging, or while at a gym, or while driving to work, or in any other situation. Just listen to the information and you are learning. Of course the weekend is over also a very good time to study but try not to do everything at once. But really try to chunk the pieces of study time to smaller pieces and make that your study time for the day.you're a passionate guy Arjen! i agree with your comments.i have always taken notes as i read a book, just as you suggest. and, i used to make audio versions of (some of) my lessons as i was a student, and to repeat aloud driving from bourges to orleans (110km) on my way to the exams center (fortunately enough, i never had accidents!). and, i read only few pages and i stop. i take a breath, look at my notes. i then 'practice' (maybe a bit of if these are formula, a bit of coding if this is programming ..). finally, i start a new cycle, or stop, if my efficiency becomes limited.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On