Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

enlim
Topic Author

LSE Financial Math or Imperial RMFE?

January 31st, 2012, 1:50 pm

Hello,First post!I'm currently an undergrad in Aero Engineering at a British Uni. I've received offers from:-LSE, Financial Mathematics-Imperial, Risk Management & Financial Engineering-Warwick, Financial MathematicsI'd prefer to stay in London so am considering LSE/Imperial. I'm not so interested in what people think of the content (as this is subjective and they both look interesting to me), but more in the career opportunities each one will open up, LSE seems much more selective from what I've heard.I know there's a few threads around addressing this, but I was wondering if anyone has any fresh opinions? In particular, I'm struggling to find any info about career destinations after the LSE course.I've got an internship in equities trading this summer at a BB, but I'm really hoping the Msc will give me a lot more choice in where I work in future: i.e. i'll be more confident with fixed income, quant roles and buy side.Any help will be much appreciated!Cheers

eh

February 1st, 2012, 8:31 am

One thing to note: LSE is a mathematics course, Imperial is a Business School course.

punkfanatic3000

February 1st, 2012, 10:29 am

If I were you, I would choose Warwick, because it is a better programme overall. It is really a Financial Mathematics course with its pure stochastic course, programming and financial maths.At Imperial, I think it is the most expensive course in the UK and the class is quite big. More a business finance types of course, you wont learn much the maths and the programming, more likely the results.LSE is not bad, it's just that it is not really a maths focused school, more economics and social sciences. You wont learn much programming wise. From what I know, there are goods and bads course. Overall more positives.

Anomanderis

February 1st, 2012, 1:30 pm

Without a doubt, I'd go for Imperial based on the sheer appeal of the school. The three programs are probably somewhat similar, the pedigree of imperial gives you and edge, worldwide.

DominicConnor

February 1st, 2012, 3:30 pm

It does seem to me that the LSE quality of output is in decline, what I can't tell is whether that is because input is going down or the quality of teaching.

DominicConnor

February 1st, 2012, 5:40 pm

It does seem to me that the LSE quality of output is in decline, what I can't tell is whether that is because input is going down or the quality of teaching.

eh

February 2nd, 2012, 8:37 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: punkfanatic3000If I were you, I would choose Warwick, because it is a better programme overall. It is really a Financial Mathematics course with its pure stochastic course, programming and financial maths.At Imperial, I think it is the most expensive course in the UK and the class is quite big. More a business finance types of course, you wont learn much the maths and the programming, more likely the results.LSE is not bad, it's just that it is not really a maths focused school, more economics and social sciences. You wont learn much programming wise. From what I know, there are goods and bads course. Overall more positives.The math finance course is still run by "proper" mathematicians.