SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

capafan2

Low Latency - C++ or Java - Current Trends

March 1st, 2012, 10:29 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: traderjoe1976I have seen ONE of these implementations in Java.Everything must be in core Java.No frameworks like Spring, Hibernate, Struts are used.They implement Lists, Maps, Sets collection objects using Arrays.Heavy use multi-threading.Heavy use of web services, SOAP, WSDL, UDDI.It looks quite different from a normal Java application, but is ideal for someone who is very strong in Core Java.Any idea why they used WebServices instead of custom building that layer. If they bothered to build even Lists from Arrays and avoided frameworks I suppose they were after performance. How did Web Services fit in then? There is lot of heavy weight junk in there unless you wanted to communicate across diverse environments like .NEt and Java. A thin network layer based on TCP/IP or Servlets( for web fetishist) is what I generally use.

traderjoe1976

March 1st, 2012, 11:37 pm

I do not know why they made their design decisions.Heavy use of XML, XSLT, XPATH.Used JDBC instead of Hibernate.Quite a strange application.

Cuchulainn

March 2nd, 2012, 10:35 am

capafan2,In my own case, I need to account for the fact that there are different kinds of developers and they have their own priorities. Not all of them are worried about the fastest program in the west, but interoperability and ease of use are more important to some of them. Imposing my own WorldView is counterproductive. What if a developer has no OO experience??For numerical/scientific/QF applications it is becoming more clear to me that pure OOP/GP results in a mismatch between mathematics and the code. Many design patterns in OOP that are non-trivial to implement are just one-liners in FP languages. A hybrid model seems to work better.All these 'discoveries' have been known for 40 years in the s/w community, but were lost in action. OP, apologies for thread drift.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on March 1st, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Step over the gap, not into it. Watch the space between platform and train.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

JT77

March 3rd, 2012, 3:06 pm

Well Java cannot be that bad because of the attention Disruptor received!http://martinfowler.com/articles/lmax.htmlAlthough, is it fair to say the Disruptor was more about throughput than latency?

quantmeh

March 3rd, 2012, 3:49 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: traderjoe1976Everything must be in core Java.No frameworks like Spring, Hibernate, Struts are used.Spring is fine if you use it properly, i.e. for configuration, as it was intended. the problem's that they added a lot of junk into it, like MVC. if you simply use spring to load the components, it's great and lightweight, saves a lot of time. Hibernate ans Struts are pure evil.

capafan2

March 3rd, 2012, 7:50 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehQuoteOriginally posted by: traderjoe1976Everything must be in core Java.No frameworks like Spring, Hibernate, Struts are used.Spring is fine if you use it properly, i.e. for configuration, as it was intended. the problem's that they added a lot of junk into it, like MVC. if you simply use spring to load the components, it's great and lightweight, saves a lot of time. Hibernate ans Struts are pure evil.+1 Spring in its core form is fantastic. Life was not good before spring.

capafan2

March 3rd, 2012, 7:51 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: JT77Well Java cannot be that bad because of the attention Disruptor received!http://martinfowler.com/articles/lmax.htmlAlthough, is it fair to say the Disruptor was more about throughput than latency?Most problems are about throughput. If you are in latency business you do not ask - what is popular Java or C++? And Martin Fowler is a salesman. He states the obvious and for some reason people behave like he just unveiled something brilliant.
Last edited by capafan2 on March 2nd, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On