SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

quantmeh

Quant work after teaching

March 26th, 2012, 11:05 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintBottom line: You might wanna stick it out.i can summarize your excessively long post as follows: the feeling of joy and happiness immediately after producing the bowel movement is worth the pain and inconvenience of during constipation

croot

March 26th, 2012, 11:23 pm

I read that generally monkey-style poo flinging is going down in popularity, is that correct?For a lucrative career in banking, I am thinking of following a path like this guy's,do you think I would have a decent chance if I start out with the right internships?

capafan2

March 27th, 2012, 12:16 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehQuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintBottom line: You might wanna stick it out.i can summarize your excessively long post as follows: the feeling of joy and happiness immediately after producing the bowel movement is worth the pain and inconvenience of during constipationquantmeh- You probably never had serious constipation where it bleeds from your asshole. There is no joy and happiness. It is more akin to being sentenced to receive 500 flogs in some middle eastern country and you get them in rations of 50 per week (No experience here - just heard about it). After this weeks round is over there is pain and also fear for the following week. The only relief is the sense that you do not have to get flogged(or dump) until next time.

croot

March 27th, 2012, 12:24 am

phew thanks to the Careers forum it occurred to me to sit the dean down to a nice session of youtube montages of animals crapping, the result: we're now thick as thieves, he even offered to take the stranger's corpse to the chemistry lab for me, where they can deal with it. Even in the direst circumstances, there's always hope!

CrashedMint

March 27th, 2012, 12:47 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehQuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintBottom line: You might wanna stick it out.i can summarize your excessively long post as follows: the feeling of joy and happiness immediately after producing the bowel movement is worth the pain and inconvenience of during constipationactually your summary is 4 times the length of my bottom line

quantmeh

March 27th, 2012, 1:37 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMint the length of my bottom linei will not comment on the length of your bottom line.

capafan2

March 27th, 2012, 1:52 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehQuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMint the length of my bottom linei will not comment on the length of your bottom line.What about the breadth of his bottom. Will you comment on it?? :-)

MattF

March 27th, 2012, 10:19 am

OK my real answer is "Suck it up!" but if you really want to quit look into submitting for a MPhil after you've done 1 year. They're usually granted without much question, you get justification for the time spent and the university keeps its stats looking good.Theyre desperate for maths/science teachers right now so I think you can easily get on some government-sponsored retraining scheme with £££ but I'm not convinced you'll have the spare time and energy to do a part-time PhD.
Last edited by MattF on March 26th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barny
Topic Author

March 27th, 2012, 12:01 pm

For those saying suck it up - I would if I thought that eventually I'd get a PhD. As it is I can't imagine that I'll be able to make any modifications to the code which actually work and allow me to publish a paper. It's a piece of shit. The code has even been used as an example of bad code design and management by some other programmers in my group. As far as I can see I'll spend 3 years here and not even pass my viva, which is how it looks at the moment. It seems more sensible to bail now rather than in two years time.

MattF

March 27th, 2012, 1:06 pm

Sounds like a great opportunity to rewrite it then. I presume it's some sort of numerical analysis package? Port it to <modern language of choice>, add the ability to distribute calculations via "the cloud", add the missing customisation or interfaces that it needs, and you'll look like a superstar.

frenchX

March 27th, 2012, 1:45 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: MattFSounds like a great opportunity to rewrite it then. I presume it's some sort of numerical analysis package? Port it to <modern language of choice>, add the ability to distribute calculations via "the cloud", add the missing customisation or interfaces that it needs, and you'll look like a superstar.Not for a PhD but for a master thesis I totally rewrite the code of my predecessor. You have 3 years, to rewrite 40 000 line of code is really enough. And it's true even if you will look like like a dumb when you say that you will rewrite it you 'll be a superstar once it's done. Even in terms of effort/time even if you are lazy you should rewrite it instead spending time to understand and modify it.

quantmeh

March 27th, 2012, 1:52 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: frenchXYou have 3 years, to rewrite 40 000 line of code is really enough. once i re-wrote 30K LOC of C++ junk in 2 months.

barny
Topic Author

March 27th, 2012, 1:53 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: MattFSounds like a great opportunity to rewrite it then. I presume it's some sort of numerical analysis package? Port it to <modern language of choice>, add the ability to distribute calculations via "the cloud", add the missing customisation or interfaces that it needs, and you'll look like a superstar.The code is already lightning fast, and scales to hundreds of thousands of processors (using MPI) very well. Re-writing 40,000 LOC would be pointless (it wouldn't be as fast) and infeasible since it would take one man 5 years or more probably. The point is in the search for speed and parallelisation usability and maintainability have been massively sacrificed. It's probably bearable to use if you're part of the development team at this other university, but from where I'm sat, all alone 1000's of miles away, it's impossible. I'm completely screwed, and the PhD was essentially sold to me on a lie. I now have a significant amount of pressure from my out-of-touch supervisor about results, and as I say, I can't imagine I'll EVER get results with this beast. I'm am proverbially pissing in the wind, and my plan was to cut my losses and move on sharpish rather than just "suck it up".

DevonFangs

March 27th, 2012, 1:59 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehQuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintBottom line: You might wanna stick it out.i can summarize your excessively long post as follows: the feeling of joy and happiness immediately after producing the bowel movement is worth the pain and inconvenience of during constipationblam! quantmeh in the quotes again -- da best

DevonFangs

March 27th, 2012, 2:03 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehQuoteOriginally posted by: frenchXYou have 3 years, to rewrite 40 000 line of code is really enough. once i re-wrote 30K LOC of C++ junk in 2 months.30K LinesOfComments?
Last edited by DevonFangs on March 26th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On