SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

capafan2

Facebook passwords & employers

March 28th, 2012, 7:27 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehQuoteOriginally posted by: EscapeArtist999How old are you? 100? not even half of it. i talk to relatives. for photo exchange i use dropbox. they don't claim ownership of your contentSo what if Facebook own a little content about me. This is a serious question. I often get told this and I wonder why people never make this issue over LinkedIn or Twitter. To me Facebook owns very frivolous content about me that anyone can get by doing a simple background check. Google might own a lot more about me due to gmail. FB helps me connect with my friends all over the world, crack jokes, share interests and it is all fun. People who constantly post about "How their life rocks" are just insecure. I feel people who constantly "beg" for "endorsements" on LinkedIn are the same. Do you seriously believe any of that crap about LinkedIn endorsements. But still it is there. It is just a bias people like to feel towards facebook.

farmer

March 28th, 2012, 7:37 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: capafan2So what if Facebook own a little content about me.My plan is to let them spend the millions promoting my character, and then as soon as my pics and statuses really start to take off, sue them claiming I never meant to give them my content. I don't expect to recoup all the revenues my timeline creates, but I expect them to settle out of court for at least a few million to retain rights to any pics of my dogs that have become integral to their business model by that point.

quantmeh

March 28th, 2012, 8:00 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: capafan2So what if Facebook own a little content about me. This is a serious question.it's a dumb question. imagine that everything is public about all that you did since high school. it's crazy. there was no FB back then, but it'll be there 10 years later.when time passes, data can be interpreted differently. your comments, jokes, connections all this crap will be viewed very differently 50 years later.

farmer

March 28th, 2012, 8:53 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehwhen time passes, data can be interpreted differently. your comments, jokes, connections all this crap will be viewed very differently 50 years later.But on the flip side, how will scholars decipher the great man known as "quantmeh" if you don't leave them some legacy? Some may doubt you existed at all, insisting you were but part of a primitive creation myth.

capafan2

March 28th, 2012, 9:00 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehQuoteOriginally posted by: capafan2So what if Facebook own a little content about me. This is a serious question.it's a dumb question. imagine that everything is public about all that you did since high school. it's crazy. there was no FB back then, but it'll be there 10 years later.when time passes, data can be interpreted differently. your comments, jokes, connections all this crap will be viewed very differently 50 years later.Why begin a response with an insult? By your logic you should not use Gmail either. Can you express your concerns explicitly. What do you mean that the data will be interpreted differently? Like what and why does it concern you.

CrashedMint
Topic Author

March 28th, 2012, 9:07 pm

capafan2

March 28th, 2012, 9:44 pm

Besides the next generation grows with this stuff. They will learn to be careful with it. It is like in USA you would be a fool not to check a girls id to verify if she was over 18 before initiating anything with her. The last thing you need if statutory rape to worry about as a 17 year old. Sometimes you just rely on security by obscurity. Sometimes someone gets unlucky. You never gave examples how it will be viewed or abused. You are just worried about it. You still have not answered how LinkedIn is any different. Data can be abused one way or the other

croot

March 28th, 2012, 9:52 pm

Hansi

March 28th, 2012, 10:15 pm

I can't believe someone actually created that

capafan2

March 29th, 2012, 2:55 pm

A very relevant discussion to quantmeh's pointhttp://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/ri ... t_down_by/

Polter

April 9th, 2012, 12:08 am

quantmeh

April 9th, 2012, 12:30 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: capafan2By your logic you should not use Gmail either.good point, but there's a difference. in case of Gmail you trust your data to Google. maybe it's dumb, but in case of FB you trust your data not only to Zukcerberg to the whole world pretty much.

capafan2

April 9th, 2012, 9:49 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehQuoteOriginally posted by: capafan2By your logic you should not use Gmail either.good point, but there's a difference. in case of Gmail you trust your data to Google. maybe it's dumb, but in case of FB you trust your data not only to Zukcerberg to the whole world pretty much.I do not get the Zukcerberg logic. But no one else can really use your data unless you do exceptionally stupid things on FB. Not saying people don't. But FB can mine it ofcourse. I just don't think they will come up with anything more than information which can help someone sell you something.

CrashedMint
Topic Author

April 9th, 2012, 9:59 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: capafan2QuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehQuoteOriginally posted by: capafan2By your logic you should not use Gmail either.good point, but there's a difference. in case of Gmail you trust your data to Google. maybe it's dumb, but in case of FB you trust your data not only to Zukcerberg to the whole world pretty much.I do not get the Zukcerberg logic. But no one else can really use your data unless you do exceptionally stupid things on FB. Not saying people don't. But FB can mine it ofcourse. I just don't think they will come up with anything more than information which can help someone sell you something.You would be surprised how stupid people are. They busted a couple of guys here because they planned their petty crimes on each other's walls. Didn't even need a warrant, because they had decided to keep their accounts open for everybody =)

quantmeh

April 9th, 2012, 12:29 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: capafan2I do not get the Zukcerberg logic. you post stuff on FB walls, pictures etc. it may seem innocent today, but later it'll look stupid and possibly dangerous. also by analyzing the links, you can learn a lot about people
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On