SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

CrashedMint
Topic Author

Facebook passwords & employers

April 9th, 2012, 12:46 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehQuoteOriginally posted by: capafan2I do not get the Zukcerberg logic. you post stuff on FB walls, pictures etc. it may seem innocent today, but later it'll look stupid and possibly dangerous. also by analyzing the links, you can learn a lot about peopleBasically whenever I post to facebook I think to myself "How would that look on The Sun's frontpage?" and if the answer is "Bad." then I don't post it.

capafan2

April 9th, 2012, 12:57 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintQuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehQuoteOriginally posted by: capafan2I do not get the Zukcerberg logic. you post stuff on FB walls, pictures etc. it may seem innocent today, but later it'll look stupid and possibly dangerous. also by analyzing the links, you can learn a lot about peopleBasically whenever I post to facebook I think to myself "How would that look on The Sun's frontpage?" and if the answer is "Bad." then I don't post it.Same rule for emails. FB just make it easy for investigators. Earlier they have to earn their living by going to bars and talking to people to find out if they did anything equivalent of posting on FB. I agree there are risks but FB risks are very over-rated. I have so much more incriminating stuff in my Gmail that it worries me sometimes. But then what is the alternative.

CrashedMint
Topic Author

April 9th, 2012, 1:01 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: capafan2QuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintQuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehQuoteOriginally posted by: capafan2I do not get the Zukcerberg logic. you post stuff on FB walls, pictures etc. it may seem innocent today, but later it'll look stupid and possibly dangerous. also by analyzing the links, you can learn a lot about peopleBasically whenever I post to facebook I think to myself "How would that look on The Sun's frontpage?" and if the answer is "Bad." then I don't post it.Same rule for emails. FB just make it easy for investigators. Earlier they have to earn their living by going to bars and talking to people to find out if they did anything equivalent of posting on FB. I agree there are risks but FB risks are very over-rated. I have so much more incriminating stuff in my Gmail that it worries me sometimes. But then what is the alternative.I don't put incriminating stuff in writing. Period. So basically my Facebook is clean, but in my mails I am quite crude sometimes, but nothing that would qualify as illegal. If however I suddenly started a life of crime, I would probably avoid cloud based services completely. Then again, like I said we had some petty criminals here and they actually posted plans, confessions and picture evidence on each others walls. It's pretty awesome if you provide all that information for free to police, even ad time/date stamps. =)

farmer

April 9th, 2012, 1:16 pm

My friend IM'd me the other month, asked if I had any experience with key loggers. Said the boss told him to put key loggers on a whole department to sniff their email passwords. I said that is a felony, you shouldn't even be talking to me about something like that. He said the head of the department bought a condo with cash, and they all had new ipads and stuff.So anyway a few weeks later he said the president of the company somehow obtained personal bank statements, and they had stolen $1 million from the company in the past three years. So they agreed to pay back $350,000 in exchange to keep it in house.People sometimes talk about how does someone become a managing director at age 27 or whatever. In this case, the most junior employee is now running the department.
Last edited by farmer on April 8th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quantmeh

April 9th, 2012, 3:25 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintI don't put incriminating stuff in writing. Period. good idea generally except you dont know what'll be incriminating in 50 years.

capafan2

April 9th, 2012, 4:28 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehQuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintI don't put incriminating stuff in writing. Period. good idea generally except you dont know what'll be incriminating in 50 years.This is paranoia. Who knows what will happen 50 years from now. We leave so much digital footprint these days who can predict who will be forced to make what public in 50 years and what will be used to prove intent. All of us depend in some way on security through anonymity.

quantmeh

April 9th, 2012, 4:30 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: capafan2We leave so much digital footprint these daysexactly my point. try to not leave that much of a footprint

capafan2

April 9th, 2012, 4:32 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehQuoteOriginally posted by: capafan2We leave so much digital footprint these daysexactly my point. try to not leave that much of a footprintTrue but with Google changing its policy about collecting your data - what is left to protect? What I search on google is pretty much who I am. Everything else is just corroboration. How many of us opted out in that two week period from having our data collected by google.

quantmeh

April 9th, 2012, 4:50 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: capafan2True but with Google changing its policy about collecting your data - what is left to protect?i'm thinking of closing GMail account. you can go to a different provider, or have your own mail server altogether.GMail discourages you from deleting emails, because they give you enormous amount of space. maybe you should resist the temptation, and start deleting content

capafan2

April 9th, 2012, 11:22 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehQuoteOriginally posted by: capafan2True but with Google changing its policy about collecting your data - what is left to protect?i'm thinking of closing GMail account. you can go to a different provider, or have your own mail server altogether.GMail discourages you from deleting emails, because they give you enormous amount of space. maybe you should resist the temptation, and start deleting contentI have a feeling whether you delete your data or not only affects your visibility of mails on Gmail. Google keeps it around forever. Since they are going to keep it around forever they just extended that courtesy to you. If you do not want to see it you can delete it. That way your wife may not see your mistresses emails if she hacks into your Gmail account but Google will always know that you had a mistress.

AbhiJ

April 10th, 2012, 10:24 am

I am not sure anyone could come out clean if the google searches/gmail data ia acccessible. In the game show :Facing the Truth, all one had to do was to answer 10 questions truthfully and one can be a millionaire, think no one won a million dollar.
Last edited by AbhiJ on April 9th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

farmer

April 10th, 2012, 10:55 am

Who here would pay $15 to see what's in my gmail account? Who here knows anyone in the world who would pay $15 to see what is in my gmail account?

CrashedMint
Topic Author

April 10th, 2012, 11:22 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerWho here would pay $15 to see what's in my gmail account? Who here knows anyone in the world who would pay $15 to see what is in my gmail account?your gmail account is essentially worthless unless needed as evidence in a trial.

DominicConnor

April 11th, 2012, 2:15 pm

Crashedmint says he doesn't ever put anything incrimininating in writin, which is of course wise, but also close to impossible.Investigations into bad things often focus on "who knew what when", so if you get a mail of the form:"I'm having a real problem getting sensible numbers out of the new risk reports"do you treat this as a s/w bug or a warning that they are just making up the numbers ?In general, you can only know if something is incriminating after the fan has been hit. A while back I gave evidence to the Parliamentary legal commission being billed as a "professional invader of privacy", immediately after the head of the UK's gay police association (my life is rarely standard).Being a hybrid geek/headhunter I explained that data retention policies like that of Google's mail system are largely irrelevant, since data is backed up to stable media, typically tapes. It's viciously hard to delete a single record from streaming tape and few people even bother to try these days.You can physically destroy a tape, but that's actually quite hard to do in an environmentally acceptable way and anything less than fire (or the mix of concentrated sulphuric acid, nitric acid and hydrogen peroxide I used to clean teflon (so I could get gold to stick to it)) won't reliably kill it all.When you "delete" a record in most systems, it usually doesn't even disappear from the disk, just gets marked as dead.You don't even need to do key logging, for a few $K you can upgrade your firewall in the way several banks are quietly doing in a way that will allow them to monitor your Facebook and other social media traffic. They didn't tell you ? Well, you didn't ask.

CrashedMint
Topic Author

April 11th, 2012, 4:19 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DominicConnorCrashedmint says he doesn't ever put anything incrimininating in writin, which is of course wise, but also close to impossible.Investigations into bad things often focus on "who knew what when", so if you get a mail of the form:"I'm having a real problem getting sensible numbers out of the new risk reports"do you treat this as a s/w bug or a warning that they are just making up the numbers ?In general, you can only know if something is incriminating after the fan has been hit. You're of course right. Nobody is safe, but by being smart you can massively reduce risk. Analogy time: You may get run over in a pedestrian area because, well, shit happens, but your overall survival chances are probably higher compared to blindfolded drunk-crossing a German Autobahn at 4am with your pants down. And if that happens and you are equally dispersed over some Audi windshield it would be quite hard not to say "Well, duh!".
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On