SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

farmer
Topic Author

Take the CQF? Or just work as a headhunter?

April 3rd, 2012, 11:29 pm

I am at a crossroads in my quant career, where I am unable to get a job as a quant. I have considered that I could improve my education by getting a pHd, or taking the CQF. My other option is to become a headhunter for a year, until I learn where the jobs are and how to place myself in them. I figure after I have gotten 10 or 12 other people hired, I will just sneak myself in for one of the openings.

tu160

April 3rd, 2012, 11:46 pm

Why don't you get top MBA and become a trader?

CrashedMint

April 4th, 2012, 12:07 am

Hope you have your "book" ready. Kids these days...

ArthurDent

May 4th, 2012, 4:46 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerI am at a crossroads in my quant career, where I am unable to get a job as a quant. I have considered that I could improve my education by getting a pHd, or taking the CQF. My other option is to become a headhunter for a year, until I learn where the jobs are and how to place myself in them. I figure after I have gotten 10 or 12 other people hired, I will just sneak myself in for one of the openings.Actually, this is the best idea i've seen in a while.pretend to be a h and post a dozen jobscollect resumesfollow their linkedin profiles to see where they get jobsunderstand what to put on your resumestart applying for your own new jobFarmer, has anyone ever forgotten to tell you that you are a genius?

DevonFangs

May 4th, 2012, 10:22 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ArthurDentFarmer, has anyone ever forgotten to tell you that you are a genius?We tell him all the time, which flatters his programmer very much I guess.

daveangel

May 4th, 2012, 10:39 am

Quote I am at a crossroads in my quant career, where I am unable to get a job as a quant. I would say that was a dead end, not a crossroads.
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

EscapeArtist999

May 4th, 2012, 3:19 pm

Guys this is another farmer windup...

croot

May 4th, 2012, 3:45 pm

Friendly advice: maybe you should borrow some money (alternatively consider short term subletting part of your current lodgings) to get on the CQF anyway: think what a prime spot (Edit: vantage point) that will be to scout tomorrow's strongest candidates! Approach them under the guise of classmate-friendship, then send them to be your drone army of interviewees. The work you are thinking of I'm sure is a numbers game. See what a lackluster headhunter is Grigori Perelman's mom: she has only one candidate (though a very bright one). Well she ain't the top HH, Selby Jennings is.Let's take a step back now. I commend you on self-actualization and finding a new path to profit with this HH/CQF idea. However you have only taken one step and the journey ahead is still long. In today's environment would it not be quicker to scour internet clippings for articles/interviews with current big-firms'-big-boys? Maybe find some specialized place where those in the know congregate. Arthur Dent has spelled out part of your plan. However it might be that depth is limited, after you place 10 candidates there is no more room for you the 11th, or times are changing, every few candidates the kind of profile required goes out of scope in favor of a newer flavor: you'd need to be one step ahead. I think you might explore some newer methods to beat these issues: find someone currently doing your dream job who shares your overall physical build preferably unmarried, learn to mimic his stance and walk, study his mannerisms and personal history then once you've built up a measure of confidence jump in with facial reconstruction surgery, remove the chap and take his place: problem solved.Hth.
Last edited by croot on May 3rd, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quantmeh

May 4th, 2012, 7:24 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuote I am at a crossroads in my quant career, where I am unable to get a job as a quant. I would say that was a dead end, not a crossroads.maybe he's old, i.e. 40+ y.o., then it's time to slow down and prepare for long agonizing decline

mit

May 30th, 2012, 7:20 am

just wondering if it is possible to get a discount/rebate if i dont want any of the textbooks?i own all of them already.

rmax

May 30th, 2012, 7:35 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehQuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuote I am at a crossroads in my quant career, where I am unable to get a job as a quant. I would say that was a dead end, not a crossroads.maybe he's old, i.e. 40+ y.o., then it's time to slow down and prepare for long agonizing declineIn God's waiting room...
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On