Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

daveangel

Job Prospect in UK for M Sc. Financial Maths

May 24th, 2012, 2:05 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: MattFQuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuote My flatmate has a PhD and earns less than £40K in London (in IT, not finance). It's not a lot of money after tax and, in her case, student loans. Of course she's underpaid but there are very few jobs around right now. Someone earning £40k will not pay a lot of tax in the UK. His or her take home will be around £30kYes £29.7K according to UK Salary Calculator but only £27.5K with Student Loans. I would regard 31% tax as a quite a lot for someone on a low wage personally. Yes OK I know repaying student loans isnt a "tax" but its deducted from your salary by the government.half of the "tax" is national insurance contribution...
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

DominicConnor

May 24th, 2012, 2:36 pm

If your flatmate is very good at Java, I might have something for her, but be aware that it's me saying good which is above the level used by some other HHs.

EscapeArtist999

May 24th, 2012, 2:56 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DominicConnorIf your flatmate is very good at Java, I might have something for her, but be aware that it's me saying good which is above the level used by some other HHs.actually very good emphasis on very so if other HHs good = 1 and DC good = 3, say other HHs very = 1 and DC's very = 3 and DC's very is 5then assuming additivityregular HH very good = 1+1 = 2DC's very good = 5 + 3 = 8This is superstar level, like the Zuckerberg or Stallman of Java.
Last edited by EscapeArtist999 on May 23rd, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spacemonkey

May 24th, 2012, 5:35 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: MattFIt's very hard to get an entry level job in finance in London right now. And Leeds isn't a highly ranked university.It is one of the leading research universities in the UK.

Elroy

May 24th, 2012, 9:10 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: MattFQuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuote My flatmate has a PhD and earns less than £40K in London (in IT, not finance). It's not a lot of money after tax and, in her case, student loans. Of course she's underpaid but there are very few jobs around right now. Someone earning £40k will not pay a lot of tax in the UK. His or her take home will be around £30kYes £29.7K according to UK Salary Calculator but only £27.5K with Student Loans. I would regard 31% tax as a quite a lot for someone on a low wage personally. Yes OK I know repaying student loans isnt a "tax" but its deducted from your salary by the government.I know everything is relative, but this is not low pay.

khepacheley
Topic Author

May 25th, 2012, 4:05 am

I am quite good at programming, will that help??

khepacheley
Topic Author

May 25th, 2012, 4:10 am

and i am not married too...

BeeUK

Re: Job Prospect in UK for M Sc. Financial Maths

November 15th, 2017, 12:24 pm

30k in London is pissing in the wind. Especially if you have kids.Sadly I know this only too well.(...produces well handled empty starbucks cup)
That's perfectly right, especially in 2017. £30K will leave you with about £1970/month after tax and national insurance (tax calculator), and even less if you're paying pension and student load. And if you have kids, you're doomed. We live in Oxfordshire, not the cheapest area in the UK but not as expensive as London, and we're struggling to kee our heads above the water even with £3700 net income per month - we have 2 children of age 2 though. But for London, £30K is nothing.

ISayMoo

Re: Job Prospect in UK for M Sc. Financial Maths

November 15th, 2017, 9:38 pm

I've heard that caviar & champagne diet is not good for kids.