SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

creditRisky
Topic Author

Work visa/permit in Canada

June 27th, 2012, 7:02 pm

I am an international student and I got my PhD in the US. Does anybody know how difficult it is to get a work visa in Canada, assuming that I have an offer?Thanks!

quantmeh

June 27th, 2012, 7:47 pm

get the permanent residence, it's easy

creditRisky
Topic Author

June 27th, 2012, 7:57 pm

Is it? How long would that take compared to the regular work visa?

quantinenergies

June 27th, 2012, 10:51 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehget the permanent residence, it's easyQuantmeh, I am always amazed by how confident you are with things you clearly don't understand. Can you tell us how easy it is? FYI, they changed rules a lot in last few years. It is not easy anymore. And, even before it wasn't that easy for people as OP. And, btw, even if it was easy, it takes at least 18 month from US to get the permanent residence. IMHO OP is not willing to wait that long.For others, whenever someone says here that US green card is tough to get, quantmeh comes in and starts telling stories how easy it is.
Last edited by quantinenergies on June 27th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

creditRisky
Topic Author

June 28th, 2012, 2:45 am

So, how long would issuing a Canadian H1B (work visa, not perm residency) take

EscapeArtist999

June 28th, 2012, 8:32 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: creditRiskySo, how long would issuing a Canadian H1B (work visa, not perm residency) takeIsn't this something thatthe company making the offer would take care of? (provided of course you accept)

quantinenergies

June 28th, 2012, 2:28 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: creditRiskySo, how long would issuing a Canadian H1B (work visa, not perm residency) takeIt depends. Canada does it a little bit differently than USA. There is no H1b-like visa. In fact, there is no "work visa." Once you start the process you will understand. It depends on the preparation by the company. It can be as quickly as two days. However, it can take more than two month if something goes wrong. However, it must be a company who starts the process. You have to get an offer.
Last edited by quantinenergies on June 27th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anomanderis

June 28th, 2012, 5:15 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: quantinenergiesQuoteOriginally posted by: creditRiskySo, how long would issuing a Canadian H1B (work visa, not perm residency) takeIt depends. Canada does it a little bit differently than USA. There is no H1b-like visa. In fact, there is no "work visa." Once you start the process you will understand. It depends on the preparation by the company. It can be as quickly as two days. However, it can take more than two month if something goes wrong. However, it must be a company who starts the process. You have to get an offer.We recently transferred a staff member to our canada office. My impression is that it takes a minimum of 18 days, regardless of how prepared you are.

quantinenergies

June 28th, 2012, 5:58 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: AnomanderisQuoteOriginally posted by: quantinenergiesQuoteOriginally posted by: creditRiskySo, how long would issuing a Canadian H1B (work visa, not perm residency) takeIt depends. Canada does it a little bit differently than USA. There is no H1b-like visa. In fact, there is no "work visa." Once you start the process you will understand. It depends on the preparation by the company. It can be as quickly as two days. However, it can take more than two month if something goes wrong. However, it must be a company who starts the process. You have to get an offer.We recently transferred a staff member to our canada office. My impression is that it takes a minimum of 18 days, regardless of how prepared you are.We were in the similar situation. AFAIK, this 18 days process is not person specific and can be prepared upfront. It might work for only some NOC categories, I don't know.

ppauper

June 29th, 2012, 7:49 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: AnomanderisQuoteOriginally posted by: quantinenergiesQuoteOriginally posted by: creditRiskySo, how long would issuing a Canadian H1B (work visa, not perm residency) takeIt depends. Canada does it a little bit differently than USA. There is no H1b-like visa. In fact, there is no "work visa." Once you start the process you will understand. It depends on the preparation by the company. It can be as quickly as two days. However, it can take more than two month if something goes wrong. However, it must be a company who starts the process. You have to get an offer.We recently transferred a staff member to our canada office. My impression is that it takes a minimum of 18 days, regardless of how prepared you are.transferring a staff member from one country to another is usually easier than getting a visa for a fresh hire

Anomanderis

June 29th, 2012, 11:02 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: AnomanderisQuoteOriginally posted by: quantinenergiesQuoteOriginally posted by: creditRiskySo, how long would issuing a Canadian H1B (work visa, not perm residency) takeIt depends. Canada does it a little bit differently than USA. There is no H1b-like visa. In fact, there is no "work visa." Once you start the process you will understand. It depends on the preparation by the company. It can be as quickly as two days. However, it can take more than two month if something goes wrong. However, it must be a company who starts the process. You have to get an offer.We recently transferred a staff member to our canada office. My impression is that it takes a minimum of 18 days, regardless of how prepared you are.transferring a staff member from one country to another is usually easier than getting a visa for a fresh hireI know, hence my disagreement with the previous statement that "It can be as quickly as two days"

quantinenergies

June 29th, 2012, 2:38 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: AnomanderisQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: AnomanderisQuoteOriginally posted by: quantinenergiesQuoteOriginally posted by: creditRiskySo, how long would issuing a Canadian H1B (work visa, not perm residency) takeIt depends. Canada does it a little bit differently than USA. There is no H1b-like visa. In fact, there is no "work visa." Once you start the process you will understand. It depends on the preparation by the company. It can be as quickly as two days. However, it can take more than two month if something goes wrong. However, it must be a company who starts the process. You have to get an offer.We recently transferred a staff member to our canada office. My impression is that it takes a minimum of 18 days, regardless of how prepared you are.transferring a staff member from one country to another is usually easier than getting a visa for a fresh hireI know, hence my disagreement with the previous statement that "It can be as quickly as two days"That's why I said "it depends, it can take anything from two days to two month." Immigration system in Canada is very complex and depends on many things that OP didn't share - like country of citizenship and occupation. Btw, if you google that, there are people with "two days" from obtaining their offer letter.
Last edited by quantinenergies on June 28th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On