SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

JT77
Topic Author

Quant Developer- what do they actually do?

July 14th, 2012, 6:18 pm

Please note: "quant developer" != "quant analyst"I am doing a lot of things in VBA, mainly working with the Quant Team. Officially I am a quant developer but I dont ever get to touch any maths. Currently I am building spreadsheets to turn into models using the quant library. "Pricing" has been mentioned, although I get the feeling that will just involve me writing some VBA to input parameters into something a quant has already written.What is there I can ask to work on/head towards to actually be a quant developer and not just a VBA "scripter"? Is there anything which would actually make me a "quant developer" and not a glorified VBA developer?I have a pretty damn good education and it just feels like I am wasting it.....
Last edited by JT77 on July 13th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quantmeh

July 14th, 2012, 7:08 pm

i could mean anything. "q"-word is fancy, so they attach it to any job to attract people. you have to look at the employer and the group to figure out what it means case by case

JT77
Topic Author

July 14th, 2012, 9:27 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehi could mean anything. "q"-word is fancy, so they attach it to any job to attract people. you have to look at the employer and the group to figure out what it means case by caseThere must be some sort of general consensus what a quant developer does? Or at least some activities which are quant developer-y?

Alan

July 14th, 2012, 9:47 pm

I can't help you with the developer part, but regarding "What is there I can ask to work on/head towards to actually be a quant ..."?,I think you need to better understand the role of quants in your organization.Maybe invite yourself to all the Quant Team meetings in which they talk to others in the organization.What are biggest problems that your organization would like somebody to solve?What are the biggest (i.e. most important) problems from the perspective of the head of the Quant Team? Do you even understand these problems -- this may take some, or a lot of work on your part.Now that you understand them, can you help solve any of them?
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On