Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Catch22_av

Company Name

July 19th, 2012, 10:42 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: DDUKONQuoteOriginally posted by: Catch22_avInfact Capafan2 I would go the extent that the superior intellect of IITs and IIMs may be in question (people get lucky in entrance exams like IITJEE and CAT) but the work ethic is something which is drilled in to you in those institutes.People say we have like a few trillion nerves in our body and when you said that, you managed to get on each of them. Get lucky in IIT ??? Have you ever seen the degree of expertise that it needs in the subjects . I would say that you have a very bad insight into this exam. I burned my eyes and sacrificed a lot of things to get cracking into that ..Lucky !!!! huh !My intention was not to belittle the effort that goes into preparation of these entrance exams. I have not written IITJEE but I have too burned my eyes and sacrificed a lot when it came to CAT. When I mentioned luck I did not mean these exams were a lottery, even to get lucky you need to be better prepared. What I meant was out of 100s of thousands of people burning their eyes and sacrificing a lot only a few hundreds get into these institutes. And my experience from CAT has been that a non neglible proportion of not so smart people get through too and a lot of potentially better candidates miss out. Havent you ever had a feeling looking at a few of your classmates "How the hell did he ever get through IITJEE?" I have had that feeling looking at quite a few people at my institute. Thats all I meant when I said luck.

Catch22_av

Company Name

July 19th, 2012, 10:51 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: lexingtonQuoteSorry still dint get what you are trying to say? Are you trying to invalidate a statistical assesment by pointing out an outlier?all the Indians involved in the Galleon scandal are from IIT/IIM. A financial engineer from SG who was arrested by FBI last year for stealing code from bank is also from IIT/IIM. Only Indians from IIT/IIM commit financial crime in the US. Get some data before applying your statistical analysis."Only Indians from IIT/IIM commit financial crime in the US." Really? Can I have a look at the data set of all the crimes committed by IIT/IIM graduates in the financial sector in US vis a vis those committed by people from other institutes? Had it ever occured to you that the a vast majority of Indian graduates working in the Financial sector in US (who would be in a position to commit financial fraud) are from IIT/IIM ? So is it any surprise that that what ever Indians involved in commiting financial fraud in US would be from IIT/IIM?

capafan2

Company Name

July 19th, 2012, 12:55 pm

A lot of these examples CAT (I have not taken JEE), favor speed. If speed is what you lack you are out of luck. Unfortunately that wee bit of extra speed is where a lot of people lose out (I am one of them). I don't blame the exams. What else can they do? But in the real world that extra speed does not count. I have done very well in take home exams of the most horrid variety. But the same in-class exams, i would have not done as well. Still the real-world operates a lot like take-home exams. I have the time, and the eyes and candles to burn.

DDUKON

Company Name

July 20th, 2012, 9:02 am

May be in latest JEE exams but not before 2000 .. 5 questions to solve in 3 hrs and if you solve even 3 , expect rank in first 1000. It was not the question of speed. I am taking it to before 2000 because the people in question are those who cracked it.

capafan2

Company Name

July 20th, 2012, 1:59 pm

Dukkon,If it was not a question of speed that is a good thing. The other thing I had noticed about IIT entrance exams is that you had to start your prep very early. The ones I know were already preparing for it around 8th grade. 11th grade was simply too late. If only because the Indian education system was so rote learning based that you simply did not have enough time to change that mind-set. One of the most difficult thing for me to adjust during engineering was that suddenly rote learning was not going to cut it and I had to learn to think on my own. Over the first year that adjustment happened automatically. But it took time.

ChicagoGuy
Topic Author

Company Name

July 22nd, 2012, 4:26 am

Thanks for everyone's input! It was very helpful.

lexington

Company Name

July 22nd, 2012, 6:42 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ChicagoGuyThanks for everyone's input! It was very helpful.did you accept the offer?