SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

liam
Topic Author

Financial Software Houses

July 23rd, 2012, 1:59 pm

Guys,Does anyone have an idea of the best way to gather a list of Financial Software Houses where I could look at quant developer roles?A few HHs have put me forward for quant developer roles, but don't seem to be able to sell me (as my last role wasn't quant related). Any help contacting these firms would help as I'm not used to doing it without HHs and unfortunately my network is mainly lending based with few quant contacts.Regards,Liam

DevonFangs

July 23rd, 2012, 2:22 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: liamGuys,Does anyone have an idea of the best way to gather a list of Financial Software Houses where I could look at quant developer roles?A few HHs have put me forward for quant developer roles, but don't seem to be able to sell me (as my last role wasn't quant related). Any help contacting these firms would help as I'm not used to doing it without HHs and unfortunately my network is mainly lending based with few quant contacts.Regards,Liamwhere?

katastrofa

July 23rd, 2012, 2:49 pm

quantmeh

July 23rd, 2012, 3:06 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofahttp://www.markit.com/en/they're not a software house, they sell data. they do have software, of course.

DevonFangs

July 23rd, 2012, 3:06 pm

statpro?

rmax

July 23rd, 2012, 3:28 pm

Bob's Guide if it is still going...

liam
Topic Author

July 23rd, 2012, 4:22 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsQuoteOriginally posted by: liamGuys,Does anyone have an idea of the best way to gather a list of Financial Software Houses where I could look at quant developer roles?A few HHs have put me forward for quant developer roles, but don't seem to be able to sell me (as my last role wasn't quant related). Any help contacting these firms would help as I'm not used to doing it without HHs and unfortunately my network is mainly lending based with few quant contacts.Regards,Liamwhere?Good question - I'm London based.I would also like any tips on approaching companies considering I'm effectively going to be cold calling/cold emailing.I have 5 months quant analyst experience in 2005, but since then its only been slightly numerical (bits of Excel/VBA - my main focus is on Excel modelling) and more credit committee/business analyst work, and I have found it difficult to get back as a quant.I'm fed up and my career has suffered so I'm wondering what is the best strategy to regain coding experience - would it best to offer companies the possibility of a low rate, short-term contract to train me up and get experience?

Hansi

July 23rd, 2012, 5:21 pm

Never really looked closely into the firms but have friends working for the following software houses: Algorithmics, Sophis, RMS.Usually you only see the quant developer title in banks/hfs though. In these firms it's more likely to be called Financial Engineer or just Software Engineer etc even though they do the same as quant devs.
Last edited by Hansi on July 22nd, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

liam
Topic Author

July 23rd, 2012, 5:51 pm

Thanks for the replies so far - all helpful so far. Thanks for the clarification Hansi, may help when applying for jobs going forward.

katastrofa

July 23rd, 2012, 7:30 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehQuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofahttp://www.markit.com/en/they're not a software house, they sell data. they do have software, of course.They do write their own modelling software.

SymoQuant

July 24th, 2012, 7:11 am

So, you have 5 months of quant experience from 7 years ago and you are expecting to be offered a quant dev role with a financial software firm in the current market?Reality check. There are a lot of people on the market who require less training, are just as cheap and they are still struggling. I would stop blaming the headhunters and start thinking about a different move.

MattF

July 24th, 2012, 7:15 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: liamI would also like any tips on approaching companies considering I'm effectively going to be cold calling/cold emailing.I have 5 months quant analyst experience in 2005, but since then its only been slightly numerical (bits of Excel/VBA - my main focus is on Excel modelling) and more credit committee/business analyst work, and I have found it difficult to get back as a quant.I'm fed up and my career has suffered so I'm wondering what is the best strategy to regain coding experience - would it best to offer companies the possibility of a low rate, short-term contract to train me up and get experience?It doesn't work that way. There is illiquidity in the job market. This is partly because people aren't spending their own money of course and once a budget is agreed then they'll tend to spend it all. So offering to work for a cut-price rate isn't really more attractive to a potential employer because it increases the perceived risk of failure at no direct benefit to them.Sorry you're fed up but realistically very little hiring is happening right now. I'd try to enhance your skills for 6 months and hit the Headhunters in January. Alternatively Dominic is always claiming there's lots of work for Excel jockeys so maybe try that route.

finitud

July 24th, 2012, 7:58 am

Two firms on the dev side that are usually hiring in London are OpenGamma and TIMGroup.

liam
Topic Author

July 24th, 2012, 9:39 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: MattFQuoteOriginally posted by: liamI would also like any tips on approaching companies considering I'm effectively going to be cold calling/cold emailing.I have 5 months quant analyst experience in 2005, but since then its only been slightly numerical (bits of Excel/VBA - my main focus is on Excel modelling) and more credit committee/business analyst work, and I have found it difficult to get back as a quant.I'm fed up and my career has suffered so I'm wondering what is the best strategy to regain coding experience - would it best to offer companies the possibility of a low rate, short-term contract to train me up and get experience?It doesn't work that way. There is illiquidity in the job market. This is partly because people aren't spending their own money of course and once a budget is agreed then they'll tend to spend it all. So offering to work for a cut-price rate isn't really more attractive to a potential employer because it increases the perceived risk of failure at no direct benefit to them.Sorry you're fed up but realistically very little hiring is happening right now. I'd try to enhance your skills for 6 months and hit the Headhunters in January. Alternatively Dominic is always claiming there's lots of work for Excel jockeys so maybe try that route.Much as I'd love to sit around building up the skillset I'm out of work now, so I don't have time to mess around and have a big ignorant gap on my CV - it's already 5 months and counting. In effect I've been kicked out of Project Finance - when it came down to the crunch my last employer changed its management and no longer nobody wants someone who is clearly unsuited to this very non-mathematical field, even when trying that Excel jockey route, but again no joy.Please don't query this further and wind me up more than is necessary. To cut a long story short I've been shut out of quant work every which way and the more I'm out the less employers want me. Might aswell pack my bags and then go home as my career is over, as I've been saying to people for years without being listened to. Now the same people, particularly non-finance people, are going to "tell" me why I have no job when they havent worked a day of finance in their lives.

liam
Topic Author

July 24th, 2012, 9:47 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: liamQuoteOriginally posted by: MattFQuoteOriginally posted by: liamI would also like any tips on approaching companies considering I'm effectively going to be cold calling/cold emailing.I have 5 months quant analyst experience in 2005, but since then its only been slightly numerical (bits of Excel/VBA - my main focus is on Excel modelling) and more credit committee/business analyst work, and I have found it difficult to get back as a quant.I'm fed up and my career has suffered so I'm wondering what is the best strategy to regain coding experience - would it best to offer companies the possibility of a low rate, short-term contract to train me up and get experience?It doesn't work that way. There is illiquidity in the job market. This is partly because people aren't spending their own money of course and once a budget is agreed then they'll tend to spend it all. So offering to work for a cut-price rate isn't really more attractive to a potential employer because it increases the perceived risk of failure at no direct benefit to them.Sorry you're fed up but realistically very little hiring is happening right now. I'd try to enhance your skills for 6 months and hit the Headhunters in January. Alternatively Dominic is always claiming there's lots of work for Excel jockeys so maybe try that route.Much as I'd love to sit around building up the skillset I'm out of work now, so I don't have time to mess around and have a big ignorant gap on my CV - it's already 5 months and counting. In effect I've been kicked out of Project Finance - when it came down to the crunch my last employer changed its management and no longer nobody wants someone who is clearly unsuited to this very non-mathematical field, even when trying that Excel jockey route, but again no joy.Please don't query this further and wind me up more than is necessary. To cut a long story short I've been shut out of quant work every which way and the more I'm out the less employers want me. Might aswell pack my bags and then go home as my career is over, as I've been saying to people for years without being listened to. Now the same people, particularly non-finance people, are going to "tell" me why I have no job when they havent worked a day of finance in their lives.Unless someone can tell what this magical "other route" or "something else" I'm off this forum. You're wasting my time and frankly don't understand my situation.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On