SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

mynetself
Topic Author

The art of interviewing during the working day... or how to disappear for a few hrs

August 3rd, 2012, 9:08 am

Any suggestion much appreciated.

Hansi

The art of interviewing during the working day... or how to disappear for a few hrs

August 3rd, 2012, 9:13 am

Lunch + blame the tube? Ask for a half day off?

Stale

August 3rd, 2012, 9:24 am

Remember to pack your suit in the lunch-box.

DevonFangs

August 3rd, 2012, 10:14 am

arrange it for 6pm and just say that you have to leave early

DevonFangs

August 3rd, 2012, 10:15 am

if you can, work from home and go to the interview during a break

DevonFangs

August 3rd, 2012, 10:16 am

BTW, of course the most decent thing to do is to ask for half day off, as Hansi said.

capafan2

August 3rd, 2012, 10:49 am

Whats wrong with taking the day off due to family emergency. It goes out of your vacation and not your sick leave.

Gamal

August 3rd, 2012, 11:57 am

Don't forget to wear your suit during the whole month! One day in suit and half day offf... It may mean only one thing for your bosses.
Last edited by Gamal on August 2nd, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mynetself
Topic Author

August 3rd, 2012, 11:59 am

Already done a few of those. Only problem was I can't take half a day off every week for 3-4 weeks in a row. That would look suspicious, no? So I guess the question should have been how to manage multiple interviews? Gamal, did think about that Wearing the suit every other week or so, just for the sake of it.
Last edited by mynetself on August 2nd, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hansi

August 3rd, 2012, 12:28 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: mynetselfOnly problem was I can't take half a day off every week for 3-4 weeks in a row.If it were now you could blame it on the Olympics and having tickets etc.You could try slotting things together, I have a friend that's just interviewed with three companies in two days. He simply asked for them close together in dates and then just took two days off for "the Olympics".Re: the suit. I always wear a suit (well trousers and shirt, leave the jacket on the chair).
Last edited by Hansi on August 2nd, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DevonFangs

August 3rd, 2012, 12:46 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: HansiI always wear a suit (well trousers and shirt, leave the jacket on the chair).Me too. The suspicious thing would be the tie. Doesn't everybody on this forum have to wear some sort of suit every day?

katastrofa

August 3rd, 2012, 12:54 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsQuoteOriginally posted by: HansiI always wear a suit (well trousers and shirt, leave the jacket on the chair).Me too. The suspicious thing would be the tie. Doesn't everybody on this forum have to wear some sort of suit every day?"Have to"? If you came to work in chinos and some kind of shirt with a collar, do you think anybody on the trading floor would give a damn?

Hansi

August 3rd, 2012, 12:56 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsMe too. The suspicious thing would be the tie. As per above, put it in the lunch box.QuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsDoesn't everybody on this forum have to wear some sort of suit every day?Doubt it, it's more of a client facing banking thing. Most HF guys I know don't bother and in IT it's mostly just the mangers not the drones.
Last edited by Hansi on August 2nd, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DevonFangs

August 3rd, 2012, 12:58 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaQuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsQuoteOriginally posted by: HansiI always wear a suit (well trousers and shirt, leave the jacket on the chair).Me too. The suspicious thing would be the tie. Doesn't everybody on this forum have to wear some sort of suit every day?"Have to"? If you came to work in chinos and some kind of shirt with a collar, do you think anybody on the trading floor would give a damn?Alright, but here HR busts balls a lot about this stuff.

quantmeh

August 3rd, 2012, 1:01 pm

take a day off, if it's a really important interview you want to be prepared and relaxed
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On