SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

madmax

The art of interviewing during the working day... or how to disappear for a few hrs

August 6th, 2012, 8:06 am

About the suit issue, I have a better way: never wear a suit.

capafan2

The art of interviewing during the working day... or how to disappear for a few hrs

August 6th, 2012, 12:04 pm

What if someone comes to an interview just dressed well - no suit and no tie. Would you reject him on that count alone? I have never tried this but the custom of turning up to interviews in an attire which is not regular office attire is just silly in my opinion. I ask myself that question about potential interviewees. If they have the skills and are dressed very well why should it matter that they are not wearing a suit or a tie. But I am sure there are some people in my team who would reject them.

DevonFangs

August 6th, 2012, 12:16 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: capafan2What if someone comes to an interview just dressed well - no suit and no tie. Would you reject him on that count alone? I have never tried this but the custom of turning up to interviews in an attire which is not regular office attire is just silly in my opinion. I ask myself that question about potential interviewees. If they have the skills and are dressed very well why should it matter that they are not wearing a suit or a tie. But I am sure there are some people in my team who would reject them.I don't think anybody in my group would care if a candidate showed up w/o suit and tie. I wouldn't. That is more the standard HR BS that seems so important in consultancy and to people with degrees in psychology.On the other hand, I think that when you go for an interview you don't really know what kind of people you might meet, and you probably don't want to be the only without a tie. It's free, so why not.

wkw

August 6th, 2012, 12:45 pm

From personal experience in UK, candidates who do not wear ties are frowned upon by some. Not by me, but by others who interviewed the same candidates Probably is a function of how picky employers / HR are about what people are wearing at the office. Of course it can be overdone as well. E.g. suspenders + tie + tie clip + contrast blue shirt with white collar + pocket square + hemmed trousers = overdoing it by a mile, in my opinion. But that's a bit off-topic I guess.
Last edited by wkw on August 5th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mynetself
Topic Author

August 7th, 2012, 11:00 am

The way I see the suit issue is that it's simply a matter of respect to wear one when interviewing. It's just a way to show that you respect the people that work there, the institution and the job. If you don't, why interview? Yes, for the money, I know. But you must at least convince the interviewers that it's not just about the money. (At least in the UK people people seem to be really obsessed by stuff like "How does this job fit in your career goals?". Always wonder how to tell them that my career goals are dynamic, based on the general market out there, which might mean dropping finance altogether.) Maybe "respect" is a big word and "taking the job seriously" is more appropriate. You wouldn't hire a great quant if they turned up in shorts and flip flops, perhaps dropping a swear word or two during the interview, would you?

katastrofa

August 7th, 2012, 11:40 am

1. It's a sign of respect.2. Most men look better in a good suit than in casual clothes. Suits carry a long history of design aimed at hiding the flaws of flabby, overfed male bodies.

wkw

August 7th, 2012, 11:55 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: mynetself You wouldn't hire a great quant if they turned up in shorts and flip flops, perhaps dropping a swear word or two during the interview, would you?Maybe it's just me, but I totally would, provided that the maximum amount of client interaction he/she would ever be allowed is email (not even conference calls) and there was sufficient level of (perceived) talent / quality in excess of the rest of the applicants.

capafan2

August 7th, 2012, 11:57 am

I agree it is a sign of respect, which is why I always wear one. It is a terribly inconvenient when your regular office attire is not a suit. If someone sees you on the way to the interview the cat is pretty much out of the bag. Women do not have this problem.

katastrofa

August 7th, 2012, 12:22 pm

But it's not as if they were going to take you outside the office and shoot, if discovered. All you need is plausible deniability. Just drop in stuff like "Today evening me and the missus are going to a fancy restaurant for a nice dinner". Worst-case scenario, IMHO: your manager finds out that you interviewed around but failed to obtain an offer.
Last edited by katastrofa on August 6th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DevonFangs

August 7th, 2012, 12:32 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaWorst-case scenario, IMHO: your manager finds out that you interviewed around but failed to obtain an offer.And if some people have left your group recently you might even get a raise

katastrofa

August 7th, 2012, 12:33 pm

Not if you're labelled as a loser

capafan2

August 7th, 2012, 1:50 pm

Quote"Today evening me and the missus are going to a fancy restaurant for a nice dinner". Manager will think "Quite a classy mistress this nerd has found to be wearing a suit and tie at 10:00 AM in downtown NYC for a dinner in the evening"

capafan2

August 7th, 2012, 2:17 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaNot if you're labelled as a loser Generally if people find out that your interviewed nothing can really happen. But if they start laying off you might just find the information increases your buoyancy to and bring you to the top of the list. If the chronic threat of round of layoffs that makes it prudent to safeguard this information.

farmer

August 8th, 2012, 8:52 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: mynetselfThe way I see the suit issue is that it's simply a matter of respect to wear one when interviewing. It's just a way to show that you respect the people that work there, the institution and the job.It is better to look like you fit in with a certain culture than to look like a crazy vain suit person. Dressup is a little weird. I don't think there is ever a time in business to wear something too different from what you wear every day.Of course if I had an interview expected to last an hour, I would tell them to schedule before or after the 10 hours of work I do at my other job. If they are a crazy people who want me to leave my job to meet with them for an hour, then go back to my job, they can go fuck themselves.Or, if I am so eager to make the sale that I am willing to do this, then my current employer is worth little to me and he can go fuck himself.In a competitive market, where you are not extremely unique, there is no reason for extreme behavior. One job should not have too different a dress code from another, or too great a salary difference, or too great a priority.
Last edited by farmer on August 7th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

farmer

August 8th, 2012, 9:02 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofa2. Most men look better in a good suit than in casual clothes. Suits carry a long history of design aimed at hiding the flaws of flabby, overfed male bodies.I am trying to think of when I ever cared whether an applicant was handsome. I certainly never valued him being fleetingly handsome during an interview. I want my male hires to be fat geeks, and I want my female hires to depend on work for money.I know someone who seems to like better-looking hires, to make the office environment a little more interesting for everyone. But a person with this sort of interest will see through the suit to whether the person is actually good looking day-to-day.I forgot to mention: Whether intentionally or not, he has basically ended up with a gay office like this. The majority of key male employees are gay. Your average guy is going to be a hopeless slob, probably not relevant to his job.If hiring a programmer, I expect him to be fat. If hiring a salesman, I expect him to be cheezy. If hiring a web designer, I expect him to be neat. If hiring a contractor, I expect him to be rough. If hiring a mailroom supervisor, I expect him to be ghetto. If hiring an IT networking technician, I expect him to look cheap. If hiring an engineer, I expect him to look nerdy. If you are one of these people other than sales or web designer, and you show up in a suit, you are going to look like a ridiculous ghetto person dressed up in a suit, or whatever.
Last edited by farmer on August 7th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On