SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

farmer
Topic Author

list of careers that are and aren't worked by the people who are best at them

November 18th, 2012, 5:47 pm

I think programming is a job that is usually done by people who are not the best at programming. And I think in cities, police jobs are often taken by people who are not very good at it. Whereas in rural areas, police is a high-paying job, and taken by people who are often pretty good at it. So what are some jobs that are worked by people who are the best at it, and not so much?jobs where the people who are best at it are doing it-------------------------------------------------------------------lawolympic sprintingjobs where the people who would be best at it are not doing it-------------------------------------------------------------------------------programmingurban police

ElysianEagle

November 18th, 2012, 6:19 pm

how did you arrive at your conclusions? we've all heard stories and had our share of experiences, but you're making some pretty broad generalizations here. as far as programming goes, much of programming these days simply doesn't require much intellectual capacity. how many developers the world over are involved in writing cutting edge code? usually this stuff is then packaged up and used as libraries by the legions of lesser skilled developers. in other words, 'good enough' really is good enough for the vast majority of programming work out there.
Last edited by ElysianEagle on November 17th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alan

November 18th, 2012, 10:45 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerI think programming is a job that is usually done by people who are not the best at programming. And I think in cities, police jobs are often taken by people who are not very good at it. Whereas in rural areas, police is a high-paying job, and taken by people who are often pretty good at it. So what are some jobs that are worked by people who are the best at it, and not so much?It's a valid idea. I add one entry and another good categoryjobs where the people who are best at it are doing it-------------------------------------------------------------------lawolympic sprintingjobs where the people who would be best at it are not doing it-------------------------------------------------------------------------------programmingurban policeundergraduate college teachingjobs where having expertise is an illusion-----------------------------------------------------investment management

farmer
Topic Author

November 19th, 2012, 9:09 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: Alanjobs where having expertise is an illusion-----------------------------------------------------investment managementIt seems pretty crazy to invest in a company where you have never been inside the building (or at least to fantasize you will get rich investing this way). But I am pretty sure that would be illegal.It might be interesting to try to pick a stock. But I cannot think of any company I know anything about, or would be able to find out anything about. I did some exercises a long time ago, for some class I guess, where we went through financials and valued a stock. It was very crude, the kind of thing a young student would do. But I cannot think of what I could do different now that I am a wise adult.It's like, over there in some city is a company. And over there in another country they are selling some products. And I really have no way of finding out what is going on at either place. It would be impossible for me to even begin to try to find out. It would be like a two-year travel project touring the world, just to make vague observations.
Last edited by farmer on November 18th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alan

November 19th, 2012, 3:29 pm

Yes, and often the people inside the building have no clue. I never understand why employees load up their pension plan in company stock. They don't realize often the CEO has no idea what is going to happento their company.

Cuchulainn

November 19th, 2012, 4:10 pm

And naked shares to boot.
Chips chips chips Du du du du du Ci bum ci bum bum Du du du du du Ci bum ci bum bum Du du du du du
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

ppauper

November 19th, 2012, 6:02 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: AlanI never understand why employees load up their pension plan in company stock. They don't realize often the CEO has no idea what is going to happento their company.just from the viewpoint of diversification, it makes no sense.If the company hits the crapper, you not only lose your job but the pension is worthless also.

cetico

November 19th, 2012, 8:01 pm

Agree with pauper. It is "wrong way" risk, using the CVA lingo...Another one for the "(...) not doing it" categorycustomer service / call centre employees

katastrofa

November 19th, 2012, 8:49 pm

I agree. That's why I always valued company stock options at 0.0 and cashed them in as soon as I could.

capafan2

November 20th, 2012, 2:31 am

The reason for pension in Company Stock is sentimentality value. Plus some weird bias which makes them feel like their buying stock makes feel more ownership. And also they feel like it is their way of showing confidence in the future of the company.

Gamal

November 20th, 2012, 8:02 am

Quant analyst first of all. In the past most quant positions were occupied by physics graduates too greedy to look for a job in academia. Now they are occupied by physics graduates not gifted enough to find a place in academia.

Cuchulainn

November 20th, 2012, 8:29 am

The Peter Principle: "Employees tend to rise to their level of incompetence." In more formal parlance, the effect could be stated as: employees tend to be given more authority until they cannot continue to work competently".The Inverse Peter Principle: "People rise to an organisational position in which they become irreplaceable, and get stuck there forever".The Paul Principle: "People rise to an organisational position in which their technical skills become obsolete in 5 years". ** These roles are visible in software teams and programming.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on November 19th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chips chips chips Du du du du du Ci bum ci bum bum Du du du du du Ci bum ci bum bum Du du du du du
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

DevonFangs

November 20th, 2012, 10:47 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: GamalIn the past most quant positions were occupied by physics graduates too greedy to look for a job in academia. Now they are occupied by physics graduates not gifted enough to find a place in academia.This is not correct in general. At least in some countries I have experience with, people don't stay in academia because they are genuinely not satisfied by the intellectual satisfaction vs. career balance.

DevonFangs

November 20th, 2012, 10:50 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsQuoteOriginally posted by: GamalIn the past most quant positions were occupied by physics graduates too greedy to look for a job in academia. Now they are occupied by physics graduates not gifted enough to find a place in academia.This is not correct in general. At least in some countries I have experience with, people don't stay in academia because they are genuinely not satisfied by the intellectual satisfaction vs. career balance.In fact, now that I think about it almost all the good students in my course left academia very soon to look for better career perspectives., and I could enumerate a lot of other less skilled guys who decided to just hide in university.

Gamal

November 20th, 2012, 11:46 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsQuoteOriginally posted by: GamalIn the past most quant positions were occupied by physics graduates too greedy to look for a job in academia. Now they are occupied by physics graduates not gifted enough to find a place in academia.This is not correct in general. At least in some countries I have experience with, people don't stay in academia because they are genuinely not satisfied by the intellectual satisfaction vs. career balance.Can a physists find any intellectual satisfaction out of academia? As a human being - quite likely, but not as a physicist.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On