Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

mrmister

Best Way to Prepare for Coding Interview/Test?

January 18th, 2013, 6:00 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: capafan2QuoteIn that case, I think you should experience working in other comparable industries where they do quantitative work. In terms of pace, leaner software firms generate products at a record rate when compared to some desktop tool that most quants create. I would prefer a position which offers long term career growth in exchange of quick money. The prospect of retiring with a boat-load of cash is not appealing to a lot of people, only because they like *doing something interesting*. My boss knows a really rich hedge fund guy who has retired from work. He often complains of boredom. There is a limit to the amount of golfing, traveling, relaxing, womanizing, etc. that you can indulge in!What prevents such people from taking up a interesting but not so well paying job and continue working. I often imaging becoming an Angel Investor for startup and working as a programmer for free in it. I have heard of another case where the person who sat on about 10 Million after tax got very bored in 2 years. Just sitting home doing nothing (womanizing and traveling aimlessly is still doing nothing) seems like a terribly unappetizing thing to do as now you are just waiting to die basically.People who run behind money blindly seldom have interests beyond money and all the things it can buy for them. Some people are academically oriented and revert back to reading and doing some passive research after retiring. Other folks do some consulting on the side. Most other people who are in it for the game will never retire. The other aspect of not wanting to retire is social standing. Without a high profile job or some other position of power, it is not possible to maintain the same kind of interpersonal relationships. It is not so much about people being hungry for power or wealth but a person who has nothing going for him except his retirement money is not a very interesting person to hang out with.

mrmister

January 18th, 2013, 6:31 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: mrmisterQuoteOriginally posted by: capafan2QuoteIn that case, I think you should experience working in other comparable industries where they do quantitative work. In terms of pace, leaner software firms generate products at a record rate when compared to some desktop tool that most quants create. I would prefer a position which offers long term career growth in exchange of quick money. The prospect of retiring with a boat-load of cash is not appealing to a lot of people, only because they like *doing something interesting*. My boss knows a really rich hedge fund guy who has retired from work. He often complains of boredom. There is a limit to the amount of golfing, traveling, relaxing, womanizing, etc. that you can indulge in!What prevents such people from taking up a interesting but not so well paying job and continue working. I often imaging becoming an Angel Investor for startup and working as a programmer for free in it. I have heard of another case where the person who sat on about 10 Million after tax got very bored in 2 years. Just sitting home doing nothing (womanizing and traveling aimlessly is still doing nothing) seems like a terribly unappetizing thing to do as now you are just waiting to die basically.People who run behind money blindly seldom have interests beyond money and all the things it can buy for them. Some people are academically oriented and revert back to reading and doing some passive research after retiring. Other folks do some consulting on the side. Most other people who are in it for the game will never retire. The other aspect of not wanting to retire is social standing. Without a high profile job or some other position of power, it is not possible to maintain the same kind of interpersonal relationships. It is not so much about people being hungry for power or wealth but a person who has nothing going for him except his retirement money is not a very interesting person to hang out with.http://www.businessinsider.com/what-it- ... thy-2013-1

katastrofa

January 19th, 2013, 10:56 pm

On-topic: How to get hired as a programmer"You can't get a job doing something you haven't done before"