Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

operationsres
Topic Author

Where should I focus my research to position myself for quant fund?

December 29th, 2012, 4:42 am

Where should a post-doc that specializes in applied time series research focus their research efforts if they want to maximize the probability of securing an entry level position as a researcher at a quant fund?The space of possible research I can do is very broad. For example, I could focus my solo papers on time-series forecasting, structural change, causality analysis, high frequency stuff, etc etc.
Last edited by operationsres on December 28th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alan

December 29th, 2012, 9:52 pm

I don't know, but my suggestion is to first locate some firms that interest you, and then contact them.Be honest, say you're just interested in some exploratory interviews for a possible entry level position in a couple yearsafter your post-doc. If they'll talk to you, maybe just on the phone, pose your posted questions to them.

spv205

December 30th, 2012, 12:16 am

frankly I doubt it matters which area - perhaps better to focus on getting the best publications. its doubtful that what you publish your papers have much relevance to quant fund. so they will be judging you on your "success" rather than your knowledge.its quite likely that some one in the firm will have a good idea of your area.

operationsres
Topic Author

December 30th, 2012, 12:30 am

Helpful advice from both of you.QuoteOriginally posted by: spv205frankly I doubt it matters which area - perhaps better to focus on getting the best publications.However, would you say that all else held equal, it's better to have papers that are more technical/quantitative? I ask because in my field it's still possible to find interesting questions that don't need an advanced toolbox to be able to successfully answer.