Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

DevonFangs

job interview and alcohol

January 21st, 2013, 3:53 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: capafan2QuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsQuoteOriginally posted by: edouardYou are appointed at 11:00am for a job interview. You then meet two people, say one manager and a manager+.By 12:00pm you are invited to lunch with both interviewers as you are due to continue the interviewing process in the afternoon with the RH girl (hopefully, she looks great). At the restaurant, you are asked first: "What do you want to drink?"Do you rather order a beer (but you fear that's bad for your image), a glass of milk (but, you feel ridiculous; and you are), or something in 'between'? Or, maybe that is not relevant at all?WTF, of course don't order a beer, that'd be way over the top. You don't know those people. Get a (regular) coke.Why do you emphasize "Regular". "Diet" would look bad???this ain't no burberry, man

rmax

January 21st, 2013, 5:14 pm

Fool. There is only one answer: A bottle of Dom with a "don't worry I will pay". It sends out a bold message and champagne means I can always keep a clear head.

katastrofa

January 21st, 2013, 8:14 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: edouardDon't you think chianti would do instead (with no komma)? Yes, and fava beans.

albertmills

January 21st, 2013, 8:18 pm

if it's in some parts of eastern europe i think vodka is still the norm

capafan2

January 22nd, 2013, 4:00 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: albertmillsif it's in some parts of eastern europe i think vodka is still the normSome Eastern Europeans I know look like they are under the influence of Vodka even when they are sober!! And if you smell like Alcohol people might just imagine that you have Diabetes smell. Oh the benefits of being old and Eastern European.

dd3

January 23rd, 2013, 5:03 pm

Ask for a coke and show them your full hip flask

LTrain

January 24th, 2013, 9:21 pm

Nothing says "class" like Pabst Blue Ribbon tall boy....

DominicConnor

January 26th, 2013, 12:46 pm

Even in London, alcohol at lunch is these days not seen as a good move, though there is a possibility that for a sales role it might be OK, but the odds aren't in your favour.But ironically, this is part of the "pub test", you are going to spend more time with this person than the one you sleep with and "please" & "thankyou" matter more than many entry level (and fewer but too many experienced) people realise."thanks, a water would be great", being clear that politeness showed to the serving staff is good, not in some abstract moral sense, little nods, thankyou's etc show you someone who works well with someone "below" you as well as being good at sucking up to bosses.The interviewer presumably chose the restaurant, so interact with him as in "which things here ?", shows respect and most people like their opinion to be sought.I edited that phrase for the plural, to give you wiggle room in case they suggest something you really detest.A variant is to ask "what's the fish like here ?"A heavy meal, let alone with ethanol is a bad move because you're going to spend the several more hours in a warm room, in a situation where alertness is important, long chain carbohydrates are your friend, so although I see the point of those who suggest Coke, personally I'd go for water.The trickier situation is being offered a glass, my own response would be "thanks, but I'm being grilled this afternoon and want to be at my best".If, however, you're sure the lunch is the end of the process then accept.

tags
Topic Author

Re: job interview and alcohol

February 27th, 2018, 8:58 pm

What about a pretty similar situation in 2018 and in Switzerland. Say your friend has lunch wih a partner at a trading firm (someone very sucessful, long career track in trading and business development) and some other top dog (who probably also wears a tie). There is a job at stake --for your friend-- who is asked what he wants to drink. What's the best answer.
My perspective (the gaellic one) has not changed. I would feel like shit if I ordered water or coke.
Are beer? wine? etc?  fine?
All comments welcome.

Paul

February 27th, 2018, 10:27 pm

A coke suggests you are an ex alcoholic. Does that give the right impression?

I usually take the devil-may-care option: Half a shandy.

ppauper

February 28th, 2018, 8:13 am

what I dislike is when you go out to lunch with 2 or 3 or 4 of them, and they order a bottle of wine so you become an outsider when you decline the wine

rmax

February 28th, 2018, 2:22 pm

If you didn't like my previous answer, then water is good for lunch. Dinner is IMHO slightly different though. I agree with PW - a coke is really the worst option: it is either childish, implies your were/are an alcoholic and will do nothing to improve the food. 

I agree with Poops. A similar situation happened where I ordered "the wrong port" and I didn't get the job.

tags
Topic Author

February 28th, 2018, 3:29 pm

So no alcohol seems the least potentially damaging choice. Thank you messieurs.

ISayMoo

March 14th, 2018, 10:21 pm

How did the interview go?

tags
Topic Author

March 15th, 2018, 1:10 pm

It looks like they had no time for lunch.