SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Mokon
Topic Author

Industry Transition Questions

February 15th, 2013, 12:13 am

I'm currently a software engineer working in the networking industry but I am looking to make a transition into the finance industry. I am specifically interested in high frequency trading, low latency, and quant development type roles as those areas fascinate me. I'm hoping to get some feedback from everyone here about how to best position myself in my search.So a little background on myself. I'm a very strong software engineer with extensive experience in c and c++. I graduated at the top of my class (gpa 3.83, in major 3.9, computer science) from a decent school (but it wasn't a Stanford or MIT, more of a tier 2...). I have 8 years of experience in the computer networking industry. I have several patents pending and I'm an author on an RFC. I currently work at a well known company as a protocols software engineer both implementing networking protocols (switching and routing) and working with the IETF, a standardization body. I have strong experience in embedded/systems programming and I have also worked in a software architecture role in several of my projects. I am strong in OO principles. I've done graduate work in AI, specifically heuristic search.Now some of weaknesses come in that I have zero professional experience in the finance industry. I have a personal interest trading/finances and have read some but I am certainly lacking in this area.From this overview of myself I'm curious about some of your thoughts on where my current skill set would be most valuable in the areas I am interested. I'm hoping to leverage my networking skills in the finance industry but what roles do you guys think I should focus on?I also recently took java and c# off my resume, because while I do know them I haven't used them in 2 years or so now. I thought it was better just to focus on the what I am up to date in since any programmer worth their salt who does c/c++ can transition to java and C#... Thoughts?If anyone is interested, as well, and wants to send me a PM I can send you a copy of my resume just to get some of your insight. I just don't feel comfortable having it floating around freely on web...Thanks!

ashkar

February 15th, 2013, 9:09 am

If a HF/Banking employer takes interest in your cv, it will be due to your technical expertise as a systems developer. They will be looking to employ you in similar positions. Your finance knowledge etc is irrelevant unless you tell them that you want to be a quant trader or algo quant etc. You need to know minimum level of finance (or industry knowledge) just to show that you've done some homework on the company before the interview.Send your cv to one or two good recruiters for Hedge Funds, the pay is better and there is more incentive to be creative there.

spv205

February 15th, 2013, 7:02 pm

you might want to try nuclear phynance forum... more hft guys there.

Mokon
Topic Author

February 15th, 2013, 9:12 pm

Thanks spv205 and Ashkar.@spv205 I'll check that forum out as well.@Ashkar Given that my network does not really extend into finance I'm at a loss for who the best recruiters are. Any suggestions? I've read a lot on forums but it seems to be pretty illusive. By PM is fine if you would prefer not to post out here....Also, I'd love to hear peoples thoughts about tower research and two sigma.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On