SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

SunnyK
Topic Author

M.S. Statistics

February 19th, 2013, 2:32 am

Hi,I wish to get into quantitative research and modelling and hence thinking about a degree (M.S.) in Statistics from a reputed university (Stanford being at top of my list). I already have a descent job working on data analytics using machine learning and have a M.S. in Computer Science (though not from a top university, hence finds it difficult to get interview calls from financial firms). I'm looking for suggestions, if another Masters degree worth considering or If I should still keep looking for quant jobs alongside continuing with my current job.Thank !

ashkar

M.S. Statistics

February 19th, 2013, 9:30 am

Stanford degree should land you some interviews but people will still see you as a computer scientist and not a potential quantitative researcher unless you do a phd in stats after that. If you had undergrad degree in maths/stats then MS in stats would have made more sense. If you're targetting top schools then maybe you should look at CMU's CS department, they have a good machine learning group which may be a better choice for getting into a hedge fund.

quantstart

M.S. Statistics

February 19th, 2013, 4:18 pm

I would concentrate more on your CS background and then strengthen it up with a top program (for easier interview screenings). A PhD from a top school in machine learning should eventually lead to a good hedge fund role. Once in the fund, particularly if it is a smaller shop, you'll be wearing many hats anyway so will be able to get involved with the quant research if that is what you ultimately want to pursue.

tagoma

M.S. Statistics

February 19th, 2013, 5:26 pm

my 2-cent that sounds obvious. maybe a quantitative finance related M.S rather than a (pure) statistics one.

SunnyK
Topic Author

M.S. Statistics

February 20th, 2013, 2:48 am

Thanks Guys for your suggestions !

spv205

M.S. Statistics

February 21st, 2013, 11:53 pm

agree with ashkar. frankly you are not going to get an interview for quant researcher role. If I were the employer, I would be worried that this guy can't do vector calculus econometric modelling etc. I am not sure that a masters in stats would necc convince me that you had the required background [ eg did you just do the computational modules].[nor do I believe a PhD in ML would help.... ML is after all where the chain rule of differentiation was "invented" - backpropagation]there are just too few jobs and too many outstanding candidates. I think your best bet is to enter as a developer and hope you will get a chance to become a modelller.
Last edited by spv205 on February 21st, 2013, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On