SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

albertmills
Topic Author

online vs traditional courses for references?

March 11th, 2013, 3:32 pm

Hi,I'm thinking of taking some courses in order to get references from profs to get into a full time program. The program would be in a different field from what i am currently doing, and references from profs, showing i have done well in their courses, would help with an application.I can do these courses in person, at the local university, or I can do them online at any number of universities. The online option is more convenient for me, as you don't have to show up in person for class, and the local uni is at the other end of town from where I work. However I'm not sure how easy it is to get references (or how much weight they carry) from professors you've never interacted with in person. Any recommendations (or experience) for online vs in person courses?Thanks.

ashkar

March 11th, 2013, 4:33 pm

In part-time/distance learning, most profs will give you a good reference if you are in top bracket of the class and submit your work on time. You can ask questions etc to make him remember you. If you attended a fulltime course then ofcourse you would need to have done something more than just courseworks to get a good reference.

albertmills
Topic Author

March 11th, 2013, 6:35 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ashkarIn part-time/distance learning, most profs will give you a good reference if you are in top bracket of the class and submit your work on time. You can ask questions etc to make him remember you. If you attended a fulltime course then ofcourse you would need to have done something more than just courseworks to get a good reference.Thanks. Sounds like good advice.

spv205

March 12th, 2013, 8:04 am

It depends what you mean by online - presumably not MOOCs (eg coursera) where 1000s of students are registered? they are much less stringent than standard university course. and unlikely to get any reference...
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On