SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

QuantCentral

Market Risk? Model Validation? Quant Business analyst?

April 19th, 2013, 6:44 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: capafan2QuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsQuoteOriginally posted by: capafan2 they make way less money than people in other industries living outside of those areas. Other industries like what? I don't think there's another industry in which people on average make much more money.IT for example. If you are in the right kind of IT in independent consulting charging over-time and showing a little enterprise (not too much) you can make plenty. It does require a life long commitment to jumping on to the next big thing all the time but the industry pays a lot. Plus inside NYC or London $200K is not such a big deal. It is a huge deal elsewhere. The one thing people in finance, NYC and London are totally oblivious of is, there are plenty of ways to make a good living and NYC/London/Mumbai are way to expensive for the incomes they provide on average.One contractor in IT on Wall-Street (i know for over 14 years now) makes close to $150 per hour doing nothing but programming as a contractor for banks. It is underground economy which does not have a coolness factor to it but is very vibrant and folks who are in it are not considered cool but are closet rich (closet because they are invisible to the rest of the financial folks)You can also work as contractors in banks. Many banks gear up to develop risk systems in response to regulatory changes. Contractors who are good at math and programming are in high demand for these projects.

tu160

April 22nd, 2013, 1:26 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ChicagoGuyThis thread is making my head explode. This thread reminds be of Wall Street Oasis, where they go endlessly on what firm/position/city is better and who gets paid the most. I need to stop visiting the careers forum.Try dealbreaker!

neuroguy

April 22nd, 2013, 8:00 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ChicagoGuyThis thread is making my head explode. This thread reminds be of Wall Street Oasis, where they go endlessly on what firm/position/city is better and who gets paid the most. I need to stop visiting the careers forum.'Baller'

bluetrin

April 22nd, 2013, 8:42 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: tu160QuoteOriginally posted by: ChicagoGuyThis thread is making my head explode. This thread reminds be of Wall Street Oasis, where they go endlessly on what firm/position/city is better and who gets paid the most. I need to stop visiting the careers forum.Try dealbreaker! Because you asked ...http://news.dealbreaker.efinancialcaree ... mId-138695

minimal00
Topic Author

May 2nd, 2013, 3:22 pm

Thank you for the interesting discussion What would be the best way to switch a quant position in a financial services firm (like financial software providers) to a quant position in a financial firm (banks, funds,...)?Do you consider opportunies in financial software firms to be good quant positions... or something very to move?

DominicConnor

May 5th, 2013, 8:46 am

The exact path depends on what sort of "service firm" you are working at.If it is a software firm, then you should research which banks use your products, that's an easy sell, the trick being to avoid getting sucked into their IT departments.

minimal00
Topic Author

May 6th, 2013, 8:57 am

Well that's exactly the issue, because for our clients I am like an IT... and for others I am like a no-banker (even if I have the skills)
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On