SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

PDEfan
Topic Author

quant jobs with the least hours

April 18th, 2013, 10:24 am

what are they? how many hours can one expect in front office, model validation in an IB and or in a hedge fund as a quant researchers?
Last edited by PDEfan on April 17th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

April 18th, 2013, 10:43 am

lower limit == 0.

DevonFangs

April 18th, 2013, 1:28 pm

model val people can work pretty comfortable hours

Gamal

April 18th, 2013, 1:52 pm

Oh yes. And in Frankfurt it's almost 5.

katastrofa

April 19th, 2013, 12:01 pm

Unemployed quants work least hours.

QuantCentral

April 19th, 2013, 1:31 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsmodel val people can work pretty comfortable hoursmodel val is pretty good if you don't crave for a lot of money. comfortable and maybe flexible hours; little pressure; can be fun if you love studying models in great detail; job stability; more head counts, etc.

DevonFangs

April 21st, 2013, 5:30 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: QuantCentralQuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsmodel val people can work pretty comfortable hoursmodel val is pretty good if you don't crave for a lot of money. comfortable and maybe flexible hours; little pressure; can be fun if you love studying models in great detail; job stability; more head counts, etc.Problem is the career perspective. But anyway, if one gets to director in MV they can make more than £200k total comp, which is not massive for finance but anyway a lot of money in a broader sense.

bluetrin

April 21st, 2013, 7:46 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsQuoteOriginally posted by: QuantCentralQuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsmodel val people can work pretty comfortable hoursmodel val is pretty good if you don't crave for a lot of money. comfortable and maybe flexible hours; little pressure; can be fun if you love studying models in great detail; job stability; more head counts, etc.Problem is the career perspective. But anyway, if one gets to director in MV they can make more than £200k total comp, which is not massive for finance but anyway a lot of money in a broader sense.Plus it is good money compared to the hours you spend in MV maintaining your internal network

capafan2

April 21st, 2013, 8:15 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsQuoteOriginally posted by: QuantCentralQuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsmodel val people can work pretty comfortable hoursmodel val is pretty good if you don't crave for a lot of money. comfortable and maybe flexible hours; little pressure; can be fun if you love studying models in great detail; job stability; more head counts, etc.Problem is the career perspective. But anyway, if one gets to director in MV they can make more than £200k total comp, which is not massive for finance but anyway a lot of money in a broader sense.Are you sure it is not massive? A few people can win the lottery but what counts is what does the top 10-20 percentile make because the odds are heavily against any one person hitting the top 1 percentile. I would be surprised if they made more than that. That IS a lot of money.

DevonFangs

April 21st, 2013, 8:41 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: capafan2QuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsQuoteOriginally posted by: QuantCentralQuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsmodel val people can work pretty comfortable hoursmodel val is pretty good if you don't crave for a lot of money. comfortable and maybe flexible hours; little pressure; can be fun if you love studying models in great detail; job stability; more head counts, etc.Problem is the career perspective. But anyway, if one gets to director in MV they can make more than £200k total comp, which is not massive for finance but anyway a lot of money in a broader sense.Are you sure it is not massive? A few people can win the lottery but what counts is what does the top 10-20 percentile make because the odds are heavily against any one person hitting the top 1 percentile. I would be surprised if they made more than that. That IS a lot of money.because people here keep saying that the pay in MV is terrible, so I assume that is not massive compared to what all these lucky bastards apparently make

capafan2

April 21st, 2013, 11:05 pm

QuoteQuoteAre you sure it is not massive? A few people can win the lottery but what counts is what does the top 10-20 percentile make because the odds are heavily against any one person hitting the top 1 percentile. I would be surprised if they made more than that. That IS a lot of money.because people here keep saying that the pay in MV is terrible, so I assume that is not massive compared to what all these lucky bastards apparently make:-) -- I have a friend who is a trader and VP for years. I bet he is not even close. Of-course he never tells me always implying that he makes a lot. But one thing a small town guy like me can do easily is adding several pieces of information to produce a comprehensive picture of how much someone makes. And I put his figure at $250K and I suspect I am over-rating.
Last edited by capafan2 on April 21st, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QuantCentral

April 22nd, 2013, 2:03 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsQuoteOriginally posted by: QuantCentralQuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsmodel val people can work pretty comfortable hoursmodel val is pretty good if you don't crave for a lot of money. comfortable and maybe flexible hours; little pressure; can be fun if you love studying models in great detail; job stability; more head counts, etc.Problem is the career perspective. But anyway, if one gets to director in MV they can make more than £200k total comp, which is not massive for finance but anyway a lot of money in a broader sense.It is quite difficult to make it to director level...that is a problem!

DevonFangs

April 22nd, 2013, 2:04 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: QuantCentralQuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsQuoteOriginally posted by: QuantCentralQuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsmodel val people can work pretty comfortable hoursmodel val is pretty good if you don't crave for a lot of money. comfortable and maybe flexible hours; little pressure; can be fun if you love studying models in great detail; job stability; more head counts, etc.Problem is the career perspective. But anyway, if one gets to director in MV they can make more than £200k total comp, which is not massive for finance but anyway a lot of money in a broader sense.It is quite difficult to make it to director level...that is a problem!and that's my my statement starts with "Problem is the career perspective"

Shaik

April 22nd, 2013, 6:04 pm

Is model validation analogous to 'testing' in software companies? People in 'testing' in IT get the least respect in the company and continuously have to prove the reason for their existence.

capafan2

April 22nd, 2013, 9:39 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ShaikIs model validation analogous to 'testing' in software companies? People in 'testing' in IT get the least respect in the company and continuously have to prove the reason for their existence.These days the title "Tester" has been re-branded to "Business Analyst". Apparently it is more respectable in a lot of places to be a Business Analyst than a Programmer. So go figure.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On