Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

AnalyStrat
Topic Author

JPMorgan Quantitative Research Core analytics

May 12th, 2013, 3:41 pm

Hello,I know JPM has a "Quantitative Research" (QR) department for quant research. But sometimes I see people working in "quant research" and others working in "quant research core analytics". The latter seems to be much more IT but both belong to QR.Do you know if QR Core Analytics is really just IT? It seems to be front office and the main goal is bulding infrastructure and libraries for trading desks, not really bulding models. So is it something like "normal" QR build models and then QR Core Analytics implement them?Thanks.
Last edited by AnalyStrat on May 14th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peniel

May 13th, 2013, 7:43 am

I think it's just IT: I had a phone interview with them a few weeks ago, pure IT questions, no finance nor maths.

AnalyStrat
Topic Author

May 14th, 2013, 8:44 am

Well a friend had an interview with them (in their office), it was about 4 hours and he had a lot of maths and finance questions, as well as IT. But it was really technical and couldn't get much info about the group. But yeah it seems to be a very IT role but in the quant research group so directly working on front office users.

mazzi87

May 14th, 2013, 11:53 pm

I interviewed for that team and it was just pure C++ questions.

AnalyStrat
Topic Author

May 15th, 2013, 1:09 am

May I ask if it was questions like writing codes (sorting, reversing a link list, ...) or just giving definitions (what is pure virtual, exceptions...) ?It's strange that you both had just IT questions and my friend had a lot of stochastic calculus / probabilities / brainteasers / pricing. Maybe it depends on your CV... he had an MFE, not CS degree.

Peniel

May 15th, 2013, 7:54 am

I had questions about definitions, differences between C# and C++, algorithms, etc.I didn't expect a pure IT interview as:* the spec of the job was quant and IT* I first received an email from the HR saying I would be asked questions about maths, finance and info* my background (education and experience) is quant not IT-quantI find it strange that your "friend", having a 4h interview, couldn't get much information about the group or the role.
Last edited by Peniel on May 14th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnalyStrat
Topic Author

May 15th, 2013, 11:17 am

He was grilled just on technical, they didn't even ask him questions about this CV Just "hi how are you? I'm XXX, I work for...." and then directly brainteasers, technical questions... and he saw 3 people, none of them told him at the end "do you have some questions?"... it was more like a written test but face-to-face... Maybe was it for a different role than you because he met 1 IT guy but 2 others were more quant.thanks for your answers.

AnalyStrat
Topic Author

May 15th, 2013, 11:31 am

I applied for the role (very similar background as my friend, same class, same school) and I'm waiting for their reply, I'm expecting at least the first round (I hope) so I'll see if it's the same.

DevonFangs

May 15th, 2013, 11:34 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: AnalyStrat he saw 3 people, none of them told him at the end "do you have some questions?".This is very poor form, typical of self important autistic quants who think they can just probe into your intelligence and decide whether you're a cool genius or just another weak arts student trying to be a quant. Personally, I don't get this attitude: you don't just want to hire a smartass, you want a new team member whom you actually talk to. Unless they have no intention of playing team members themselves, but in that case would you like to join their team?

AnalyStrat
Topic Author

May 21st, 2013, 8:06 am

I confirm it was not easy to get much information about this division. Very technical interviews, most of them were really like "hello, so here is a graph...".The team is only IT. It's in the "quant research" team so they are "quant" but it's ONLY IT. They just recruit people with computer science degree, they don't care about financial mathematics knowledge really. Definitely not a nice quant role but it's still JPM and "quant research" so possibilities to "leverage" the position on your CV or internally.

madmax

May 22nd, 2013, 7:33 am

JPM has moved/been moving to a setup where quant work is more split between Quant Strategy and Quant Analytics:- Strategy are desk quants whose role is more oriented into supporting the trading desks. - Analytics is more development.Usually Strategy would not write much C++. Most of the code is Python.Analytics is C++ development. It may involve some modelling but the focus is library development.

McConkey

July 27th, 2013, 8:15 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: madmaxJPM has moved/been moving to a setup where quant work is more split between Quant Strategy and Quant Analytics:- Strategy are desk quants whose role is more oriented into supporting the trading desks. - Analytics is more development.Usually Strategy would not write much C++. Most of the code is Python.Analytics is C++ development. It may involve some modelling but the focus is library development.No "R&D" team?

Hansi

July 27th, 2013, 11:27 pm

All quant work is R&D.