SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

punkfanatic3000
Topic Author

Interview Tips: How to not be stressed

June 27th, 2013, 7:28 am

Hi,I've realised that before an interview, I would get really nervous which would affect my capabilities during the interview. Any tips that you use to get through the pressure and nervousness before and during an interview?Thanks

Gamal

June 27th, 2013, 8:10 am

Being nervous isn't bad, it makes you look involved, interested and active. Looking bored is worse.

rmax

June 27th, 2013, 9:00 am

A technique that I use for any kind of situation similar to interviews is to role-play it in my head. Think through the outcomes and what I would like to say versus what I should say. A word of warning is that I was asked a question and came back pretty rapidly with a structured answer. The guy commented to on that; I replied that what kind of candidate would I be if I had not considered the answer to the (obvious) question!

ashkar

June 27th, 2013, 10:52 am

I get nervous at the start (especially while waiting for the interviewer) but feel quite confident after the interview starts. I'm more nervous when I've been out of the game for long enough (like now a days). I think preparation is the key. Get a friend to ask you some questions (both soft and hard skills), role play as per Rmax's suggestion and some high energy sports the day before or in the morning of the interview has also helped me (mostly to boost self confidence).During an interview, I remind myself that life will go on with or without this offer so I should do my best without worrying about the result.

EscapeArtist999

June 27th, 2013, 10:53 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxA technique that I use for any kind of situation similar to interviews is to role-play it in my head. Think through the outcomes and what I would like to say versus what I should say. A word of warning is that I was asked a question and came back pretty rapidly with a structured answer. The guy commented to on that; I replied that what kind of candidate would I be if I had not considered the answer to the (obvious) question!did you get the offer?

EscapeArtist999

June 27th, 2013, 10:55 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: punkfanatic3000Hi,I've realised that before an interview, I would get really nervous which would affect my capabilities during the interview. Any tips that you use to get through the pressure and nervousness before and during an interview?ThanksWould you be nervous on the job - terrified of not having a rapid fire correct answer? I suspect that you would be fine.as to interviews, accept the nervousness as part of your (frankly anybody's) nature and HAVE SOMETHING ELSE to care about as well, a passion, etc. whatever it is. the interview will seem less important, but as Gamal said - don't look bored!

Positron

June 27th, 2013, 4:43 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: punkfanatic3000 Hi,I've realised that before an interview, I would get really nervous which would affect my capabilities during the interview. Any tips that you use to get through the pressure and nervousness before and during an interview?ThanksGet a drink. Don't get drunk, just get enough not to care about the outcome.

katastrofa

June 27th, 2013, 8:32 pm

That's very bad advice. A whiff of alcohol from a candidate and they're out of the door. You got to be sober as a pig.

capafan2

June 27th, 2013, 9:17 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaThat's very bad advice. A whiff of alcohol from a candidate and they're out of the door. You got to be sober as a pig.If you have gray hair they will just assume you are good spirited Diabetic. Same breath.

deepvalue

June 28th, 2013, 7:49 am

focalin

Gamal

June 28th, 2013, 10:38 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: capafan2QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaThat's very bad advice. A whiff of alcohol from a candidate and they're out of the door. You got to be sober as a pig.If you have gray hair they will just assume you are good spirited Diabetic. Same breath.Being sick is even worse than being drunk. Investment bankers get drunk quite often, even in the morning, but did anybody see someone handicapped in IB? One-legged, one-handed or one-eyed? Only healthy, fit and beautiful people are hired, the only two accepted exceptions are fat belly and bald head.
Last edited by Gamal on June 27th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArthurDent

June 28th, 2013, 11:27 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: GamalOnly healthy, fit and beautiful people are hired, the only two accepted exceptions are fat belly and bald head.And the latter two only if you are Director or above, so that a mild sign of old age is tolerated.

punkfanatic3000
Topic Author

June 28th, 2013, 11:42 am

When I get nervous, my hands sweat and i feel so embarrassed to shake hands to my interviewer. I cant think of way to avoid this

Gamal

June 28th, 2013, 12:56 pm

Did you already try a tissue?

EscapeArtist999

June 28th, 2013, 3:44 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: punkfanatic3000When I get nervous, my hands sweat and i feel so embarrassed to shake hands to my interviewer. I cant think of way to avoid thisShow up all dressed in black, black sunglasses, black gloves, takes his/her hand and introduce yourself as "Smith" - that should break any icebergs in your way...
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On