Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

bfitzp
Topic Author

Game theory or random walks - Which has more relevance/applications to the field of quants?

October 9th, 2013, 12:32 pm

I am in the final year of a computer science degree with a strong math component. I would like to leave the door open to the possibility of entering the quantitative analysis field once I finish my degree so I am wondering which of my final year project choices would have more applications to the area of finance/quants...I have a choice between Quantum Game Theory and Quantum Random Walks.Leaving aside the 'Quantum' stuff...I have not studied game theory or random walks before so I know very little about them. So which one of them would have more applications in finance/quants?

EscapeArtist999

Game theory or random walks - Which has more relevance/applications to the field of quants?

October 9th, 2013, 1:09 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: bfitzpI am in the final year of a computer science degree with a strong math component. I would like to leave the door open to the possibility of entering the quantitative analysis field once I finish my degree so I am wondering which of my final year project choices would have more applications to the area of finance/quants...I have a choice between Quantum Game Theory and Quantum Random Walks.Leaving aside the 'Quantum' stuff...I have not studied game theory or random walks before so I know very little about them. So which one of them would have more applications in finance/quants?Quant is in Quantum, so maybe either is fine?

jimmybob

October 9th, 2013, 1:09 pm

probably neither is going to be directly relevant - go for the one that you think is most interesting.

DevonFangs

October 10th, 2013, 6:08 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: EscapeArtist999QuoteOriginally posted by: bfitzpI am in the final year of a computer science degree with a strong math component. I would like to leave the door open to the possibility of entering the quantitative analysis field once I finish my degree so I am wondering which of my final year project choices would have more applications to the area of finance/quants...I have a choice between Quantum Game Theory and Quantum Random Walks.Leaving aside the 'Quantum' stuff...I have not studied game theory or random walks before so I know very little about them. So which one of them would have more applications in finance/quants?Quant is in Quantum, so maybe either is fine?+1

Cuchulainn

October 10th, 2013, 8:38 am

As CS major maybe a project on Computational Game theoryIt probably has applications somewhere but you will learn a lot along the way.

ashkar

October 10th, 2013, 9:45 am

game theory used to be popular in CS many years ago. If you're interested in theoretical side then I suggest looking at http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~herbert/publications.html otherwise study some applied math/cs topic such as gpu based computation or stochastic models in finance etc. These will be more useful for a quant job in the future.

Cuchulainn

October 10th, 2013, 10:53 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ashkargame theory used to be popular in CS many years ago. If you're interested in theoretical side then I suggest looking at http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~herbert/publications.html otherwise study some applied math/cs topic such as gpu based computation or stochastic models in finance etc. These will be more useful for a quant job in the future.The topics in the links look like 'pure' CS, i.e. devoid of applications to Economics.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on October 9th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ashkar

October 10th, 2013, 11:38 am

Yes, I assume if he is looking at games in CS then he may be interested in program analysis. I dont see any point in studying game theory in econ as a CS student. No one will buy it.

Cuchulainn

October 10th, 2013, 11:41 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ashkarYes, I assume if he is looking at games in CS then he may be interested in program analysis. I dont see any point in studying game theory in econ as a CS student. No one will buy it.I see.Maybe OP should just stick to the knitting. But like everything in life, there are exceptions to the rules and maybe CS can do it.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on October 9th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ultraviolet

October 10th, 2013, 4:02 pm

Aren't quantum random walk models closely related to models with jumps? (I've only read a few papers on both topics by accident and that's the impression I got so this may be a silly question). I think the quantum random walks project is more prospective - it gives more opportunity to work on stochastic methods for quantum systems (replace quantum entanglement with correlations and it's readily applied in finance). I suppose one could exploit the quantum game theory, but only on the top of that.
Last edited by Ultraviolet on October 9th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.