SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Jeriot
Topic Author

IMC

November 22nd, 2013, 2:40 pm

Hi guys,I was wondering if anyone would like to venture a guess what kind of strategies IMC would be using? I'm going in for an interview and thought it would make sense to at least speak the same language!

chocolatemoney

IMC

December 5th, 2013, 1:15 pm

Rumors in Zug, Switzerland are that IMC is closing its Swiss office due to unsustainable market losses.Which location are you applying to?What position?

blueraincap

IMC

December 5th, 2013, 11:59 pm

IMC is top notch

chocolatemoney

IMC

December 6th, 2013, 6:49 am

I know about 10 former IMC traders and I have worked with some of them directly. They all kinda agree in saying that:- bad work atmosphere. Employees very concerned about protecting the secrecy of their trading strategies -> little knowledge sharing, little teamwork. - in the past IMC invested heavily in well paid PhD researchers. Fancy PhDs, doing fancy math for the sake of doing fancy math. The PhD policy brought little down to the tables in the trading floors and in the last few years they have been laying off a lot of researchers. As a result of that, the company is quite reluctant to invest in new research projects. AFAIK the company is interested discussing only strategies that could be plugged in the markets from day one.

Jeriot
Topic Author

IMC

December 6th, 2013, 11:09 am

Hey, thanks for the replies. I went for the interview (Jr Quant Trader in Amsterdam) but didn't get the job. Ah well, first interview since graduation, so kinda expected.Learnt a couple of things from the interviewer tho - The quant trader sits between the quant research and traders, so on one hand is in touch with the quant researchers (who tries to systematise things) and the traders (who have close contact with the markets). Thought the setup is pretty cool (at least in theory), so now I can at least try to replicate it with some friends with economics and trading background. I suppose key point is that I don't have to do everything by myself, and the trading system doesn't have to be 100% systematic.

chocolatemoney

IMC

December 6th, 2013, 11:22 am

In my experience tht is an "old-school" set-up. "quant researcher" is a title that is no longer much looked after. Most of the trading firms want people who write code and models that go out there and kill and plunder. You have a trading strategy ? Well, go, trade and earn your salary out of your trading war-chest.
Last edited by chocolatemoney on December 5th, 2013, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeriot
Topic Author

IMC

December 6th, 2013, 11:45 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: chocolatemoneyMost of the trading firms want people who write code and models that go out there and kill and plunder.Arguably, all trading firms should want this!

chocolatemoney

IMC

December 6th, 2013, 11:49 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: JeriotQuoteOriginally posted by: chocolatemoneyMost of the trading firms want people who write code and models that go out there and kill and plunder.Arguably, all trading firms should want this!Well, when trading firms had deeper pockets they were willing to hire smart people and let them "research" withouta) telling them that they need to put the money at workb) and asking them to follow their trade book and report their PnL 11:15pm Amsterdam time every working dayhoping they would come up with the new boombasta machine learning algorithm

Jeriot
Topic Author

IMC

December 6th, 2013, 12:31 pm

Ah, gotcha.

Jeriot
Topic Author

IMC

December 12th, 2013, 10:34 am

I was silly not to have asked in the first place - do you guys know any other systematic trading firms out there that hires at entry level?

chocolatemoney

IMC

December 12th, 2013, 10:39 am

Well, I know plenty.Where would you like to work? Amsterdam?

Jeriot
Topic Author

IMC

December 12th, 2013, 11:04 am

I think a pvt message is in order!
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On