SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

AnalyticalVega
Topic Author

How to develop great presentation skills?

December 17th, 2013, 1:22 pm

I always wondered how people develop great presentation skills. Paul W. and most of the CQF teaching staff have fairly advanced speaking skills, but this guy is completely in another league. Link To me it seems his energy and confidence is off the charts! He also articulates his message very clearly. I'm guessing the way to get this good is just to do a lot of public speaking, get feedback, correct mistakes, repeat, etc...

Cuchulainn

December 17th, 2013, 1:33 pm

What's he talking about? Ted Williams
Last edited by Cuchulainn on December 16th, 2013, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Step over the gap, not into it. Watch the space between platform and train.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

AnalyticalVega
Topic Author

December 17th, 2013, 1:40 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnWhat's he talking about? Ted WilliamsHe is fantastic! Too bad booze and drugs did him in.

Cuchulainn

December 17th, 2013, 1:45 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: AnalyticalVegaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnWhat's he talking about? Ted WilliamsHe is fantastic! Too bad booze and drugs did him in.How do you know that?

katastrofa

December 17th, 2013, 1:46 pm

You *need* booze to develop such a voice. See e.g. Jan Himilsbach.

traderjoe1976

December 17th, 2013, 1:54 pm

If you teach the MBA students for a few years, that will develop your presentation skills quite rapidly. They are very demanding and want value for the $120 K which they are paying.

AnalyticalVega
Topic Author

December 17th, 2013, 2:10 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: traderjoe1976If you teach the MBA students for a few years, that will develop your presentation skills quite rapidly. They are very demanding and want value for the $120 K which they are paying.Is that what you do?

tagoma

December 17th, 2013, 5:38 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: AnalyticalVegaQuoteOriginally posted by: traderjoe1976If you teach the MBA students for a few years, that will develop your presentation skills quite rapidly. They are very demanding and want value for the $120 K which they are paying.Is that what you do?How could the things turn so bad for you TJ? Some woman?

traderjoe1976

December 17th, 2013, 6:33 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: edouardHow could the things turn so bad for you TJ? Some woman?It took MANY women to bring down the great TraderJoe1976. One of them started out sweet and sexy, but turned out to be a greedy, money-grabbing bitch who took my house and my 401(K).

liam

December 17th, 2013, 10:57 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: AnalyticalVegaI always wondered how people develop great presentation skills. Paul W. and most of the CQF teaching staff have fairly advanced speaking skills, but this guy is completely in another league. Link To me it seems his energy and confidence is off the charts! He also articulates his message very clearly. I'm guessing the way to get this good is just to do a lot of public speaking, get feedback, correct mistakes, repeat, etc...Kind of links in to another post today on facial expressions where I mentioned toastmasters. I've been trained privately where it was a day of 1-5 minute presentations - lots of actors train people, it's way more intense then Toastmasters or English Public Speakers Club. Guys that have done this include presidents and Holywood stars.Some people like this guy rise above others, it's not a cure all, but a combination of practice and application and being in a good place help.

AnalyticalVega
Topic Author

December 18th, 2013, 1:22 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: liamQuoteOriginally posted by: AnalyticalVegaI always wondered how people develop great presentation skills. Paul W. and most of the CQF teaching staff have fairly advanced speaking skills, but this guy is completely in another league. Link To me it seems his energy and confidence is off the charts! He also articulates his message very clearly. I'm guessing the way to get this good is just to do a lot of public speaking, get feedback, correct mistakes, repeat, etc...Kind of links in to another post today on facial expressions where I mentioned toastmasters. I've been trained privately where it was a day of 1-5 minute presentations - lots of actors train people, it's way more intense then Toastmasters or English Public Speakers Club. Guys that have done this include presidents and Holywood stars.Some people like this guy rise above others, it's not a cure all, but a combination of practice and application and being in a good place help.So how good are your presentation skills now? Do you have a better career as a result?

Cuchulainn

December 18th, 2013, 6:54 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: liamQuoteOriginally posted by: AnalyticalVegaI always wondered how people develop great presentation skills. Paul W. and most of the CQF teaching staff have fairly advanced speaking skills, but this guy is completely in another league. Link To me it seems his energy and confidence is off the charts! He also articulates his message very clearly. I'm guessing the way to get this good is just to do a lot of public speaking, get feedback, correct mistakes, repeat, etc...Kind of links in to another post today on facial expressions where I mentioned toastmasters. I've been trained privately where it was a day of 1-5 minute presentations - lots of actors train people, it's way more intense then Toastmasters or English Public Speakers Club. Guys that have done this include presidents and Holywood stars.Some people like this guy rise above others, it's not a cure all, but a combination of practice and application and being in a good place help.Sounds like Tony Robbins.One issue to avoid is too much handwaving in a random fashion. You need to know you audience
Last edited by Cuchulainn on December 17th, 2013, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ultraviolet

December 18th, 2013, 5:58 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: traderjoe1976QuoteOriginally posted by: edouardHow could the things turn so bad for you TJ? Some woman?It took MANY women to bring down the great TraderJoe1976. One of them started out sweet and sexy, but turned out to be a greedy, money-grabbing bitch who took my house and my 401(K).Haven't you heard about prenups?

DevonFangs

December 18th, 2013, 6:01 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: UltravioletQuoteOriginally posted by: traderjoe1976QuoteOriginally posted by: edouardHow could the things turn so bad for you TJ? Some woman?It took MANY women to bring down the great TraderJoe1976. One of them started out sweet and sexy, but turned out to be a greedy, money-grabbing bitch who took my house and my 401(K).Haven't you heard about prenups?do you and the surgeon have one?

Alan

December 18th, 2013, 6:54 pm

Let's see a master at work (Gabby Johnson)
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On