SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Ultraviolet

Put Hunting as a hobby on your cv

January 24th, 2014, 11:21 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: BramJQuoteOriginally posted by: UltravioletI Anyway, a person who puts on their CV things which may obviously be sensitive to some people will not make a good teammate, IMHO. Just someone trying to shine a bit too hardWhy? I'm not sure how putting something that might be sensitive to some people translates into being a bad person to work with?Good for you. An emotionally developed person will consider such things together with other similar aspects of the candidate they evaluate during a face-to-face interview, i.e. whether the candidate follows the basic principles of mutual respect. I'm not talking about aspies, who are socially awkward and usually perfectly aware of and embarrassed by it (and thus can be forgiven), but about asbos, who won't try to fit in the group with their skills but rather with their ego.BTW, CrashedMint, is the guy a programmer looking from a job for a couple of months already? (I dated a few recruiters ;-))

bearish

January 25th, 2014, 1:33 pm

I am neutral on hunting as a concept, but would lean slightly toward excluding it from a resume in our context (unlike, say, when applying for a job in a sporting goods store in Wisconsin), primarily on the basis that it should be irrelevant to the job itself and likely to annoy/upset some decision makers. I have a similar view on declaring one's religious activities on a resume, which is surprisingly widespread.In a rather curious coincidence, I commented on this issue yesterday to a couple of colleagues, remarking that I couldn't quite recall seeing a reference to hunting in the thousands of resumes I had gone through. Not more than a couple of hours later, in wading through a pile of summer internship candidates from an Ivy League school, the word "hunting" leaps out at me from the bottom of one of the resumes! I guess my focus was better tuned at this point...

Anthis

January 25th, 2014, 2:33 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: BramJQuoteOriginally posted by: UltravioletI Anyway, a person who puts on their CV things which may obviously be sensitive to some people will not make a good teammate, IMHO. Just someone trying to shine a bit too hardWhy? I'm not sure how putting something that might be sensitive to some people translates into being a bad person to work with?This is classic HR bimbo nonsense. I guess if you write fishing on your CV, you would be perceived as a patient and delicate wanker. Fishing is bloodless at the end of the day, unless you are some Jap whale fisherman.If I had to choose between two similar CVs capable to do the job, I would choose the hunter guy for my team any time of the day. Because being a hunter, implies certain virtues and skills, quite useful in working environment. Hunters are survivors, risk aware people, with lots of stamina. For those who said they are scared, there are diapers in the nearby supermarket aisle.

ChicagoGuy

January 25th, 2014, 4:07 pm

You ain't Hemingway so don't put it.

Cuchulainn

January 25th, 2014, 5:09 pm

QuoteYou ain't Hemingway so don't put it.Indeed. Hunters probably have a screw loose anyway. QuoteBecause being a hunter, implies certain virtues and skillsAre these transferrable?
Last edited by Cuchulainn on January 24th, 2014, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Step over the gap, not into it. Watch the space between platform and train.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

katastrofa

January 25th, 2014, 11:19 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: AnthisHunters are survivors, risk aware people, with lots of stamina. This is bullshit. You describe hunters as they were in times long gone, when people hunted to survive. XXIst century hunters in Western world are well-to-do (those rifles are expensive) middle aged men who risk nothing while hunting, have a massive advantage over their prey (modern optics, modern ammunition, etc) and are often hunting animals which were bred to be docile and easy to kill (deers on estates).It's not hunting as our forebears understood it, it's glorified slaughter. Listing it as a hobby on your CV shows that there's something wrong with your brain.

Anthis

January 26th, 2014, 9:17 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaQuoteOriginally posted by: AnthisHunters are survivors, risk aware people, with lots of stamina. This is bullshit. You describe hunters as they were in times long gone, when people hunted to survive. XXIst century hunters in Western world are well-to-do (those rifles are expensive) middle aged men who risk nothing while hunting, have a massive advantage over their prey (modern optics, modern ammunition, etc) and are often hunting animals which were bred to be docile and easy to kill (deers on estates).It's not hunting as our forebears understood it, it's glorified slaughter. Listing it as a hobby on your CV shows that there's something wrong with your brain.I hunt occasionally, so I agree what you describe is not hunting, its a pervertion. The hunters I know kill only edible animals that is legal to kill (hare, boars, wild birds etc) unless they are at risk (eg attacked by wolves or bears). Certainly they dont kill for pleasure. Moreover, there are regulations restricting the species and the seasons of they can be hunted as well as the number of animals allowed to be killed within a day by a single hunter. These regulations are strictly enforced. I have witnessed police arresting a hunter, seizing his license, his gun and car and his dog too, as tools of crime, for having shot two wild ducks outside their allowed season. So I guess CM's friend, since he is a licensed hunter, drops within this category. He is not the guy who would pay to go for safari in Africa in order to shoot and kill non edible animals like panthers or zembras.

farmer

January 26th, 2014, 10:30 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofamiddle aged men who risk nothing while hunting, have a massive advantage over their prey (modern optics, modern ammunition, etc) and are often hunting animals which were bred to be docile and easy to kill (deers on estates). It's not hunting as our forebears understood it, it's glorified slaughter. Listing it as a hobby on your CV shows that there's something wrong with your brain.If your empathy does not discriminate between animals and people, you are the sick one. I count myself unfortunately in this category of simple minds which cannot kill a fly, even though both my grandmothers cut the heads off chickens daily. And so I have admiration for people whose brains are built correctly and with sophistication, which can be appalled at human slaughter but not animal slaughter. If they additionally like to hunt, it is no easier or more perverted than fishing or playing ping pong.People like to do a lot of easy things that our forebears did not do, such as watch football, post on Internet forums, play video games. You are the savage one displaying a savage instinct, by being so quick to savage people who are different from you. You are too quick to see people who are unlike you as evil and perverted. I do not doubt you would participate and support the organized slaughter of your fellow man. You should play a video game instead of attacking people who did nothing bad and nothing to you, to find a channel for your tribal psychosis.

katastrofa

January 26th, 2014, 12:25 pm

I'm not a specieist, true.

katastrofa

January 26th, 2014, 12:28 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: AnthisQuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaQuoteOriginally posted by: AnthisHunters are survivors, risk aware people, with lots of stamina. This is bullshit. You describe hunters as they were in times long gone, when people hunted to survive. XXIst century hunters in Western world are well-to-do (those rifles are expensive) middle aged men who risk nothing while hunting, have a massive advantage over their prey (modern optics, modern ammunition, etc) and are often hunting animals which were bred to be docile and easy to kill (deers on estates).It's not hunting as our forebears understood it, it's glorified slaughter. Listing it as a hobby on your CV shows that there's something wrong with your brain.I hunt occasionally, so I agree what you describe is not hunting, its a pervertion. The hunters I know kill only edible animals that is legal to kill (hare, boars, wild birds etc) unless they are at risk (eg attacked by wolves or bears).They wouldn't be at risk if they didn't invade their territory.QuoteCertainly they dont kill for pleasure.Then what for? Do you find it pleasant to hunt? If not, then why do it at all?

farmer

January 26th, 2014, 12:38 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaI'm not a specieist, true.You would put a man between the millstones to make bread? Or you would simply make bread in the most economically efficient way, doing whatever you could get away with?

tagoma

January 26th, 2014, 1:03 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaQuoteOriginally posted by: AnthisHunters are survivors, risk aware people, with lots of stamina. This is bullshit. You describe hunters as they were in times long gone, when people hunted to survive. XXIst century hunters in Western world are well-to-do (those rifles are expensive) middle aged men who risk nothing while hunting, have a massive advantage over their prey (modern optics, modern ammunition, etc) and are often hunting animals which were bred to be docile and easy to kill (deers on estates).It's not hunting as our forebears understood it, it's glorified slaughter. Listing it as a hobby on your CV shows that there's something wrong with your brain.Here hunters are bunches of guys carrying pistols that are criminally drunk from 5:30 AM on Saturdays and Sundays.

Anthis

January 26th, 2014, 1:16 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaQuoteCertainly they dont kill for pleasure.Then what for? Do you find it pleasant to hunt? If not, then why do it at all?I do it for two reasons.As a chance to taste top quality gourmet and organic meats, not available in the market.And as a chance for some physical activity.Married men, see it also as a chance to spend a day or two in nature, away from wife, mom in law, and the accompanying noise pollution

bearish

January 26th, 2014, 3:47 pm

QuoteMarried men, see it also as a chance to spend a day or two in nature, away from wife, mom in law, and the accompanying noise pollutionFor this purpose golf is a peaceful alternative, generating even less noise pollution (aside from the occasional expletive following ball in water).

liam

January 26th, 2014, 4:53 pm

Going back to the original thread, I have actually worked with a hunter in a client facing role. He was a fairly normal guy and is probably at VOP level now, but it was interesting when he talked about the tight gun controls he's subjected to (UK). Was weird when he showed us pictures of his Christmas turkey, especially when he talked passionately about how she'd put up a fight when they killed her/wrung her kneck. I suppose just don't mention it on CV or in front of clients...
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On