Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

tags

Put Hunting as a hobby on your cv

January 26th, 2014, 4:56 pm

Quotehe was a fairly normal guy???
Last edited by tags on January 25th, 2014, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bearish

January 26th, 2014, 7:07 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: edouardQuotehe was a fairly normal guy???Funny - I was going to inquire about VOP (violation of probation?).

liam

January 26th, 2014, 8:37 pm

I meant VP level, oops, lol...Well I suppose the right term is relatively "normal", it's just a tradition to hunt in his family, as opposed to being some mental case like the Krays with knives and pistols at home...

katastrofa

January 27th, 2014, 7:07 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: AnthisQuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaQuoteCertainly they dont kill for pleasure.Then what for? Do you find it pleasant to hunt? If not, then why do it at all?I do it for two reasons.As a chance to taste top quality gourmet and organic meats, not available in the market.I heard human meat tastes nice. Did you try that?QuoteAnd as a chance for some physical activity.You can jog, ffs.QuoteMarried men, see it also as a chance to spend a day or two in nature, away from wife, mom in law, and the accompanying noise pollutionWhy did you get married, if it's so painful to you that you need to hurt animals to let off steam after talking to your wife? This (and your other posts) suggests to me that your marriage is in a pretty bad shape. Maybe you should fix that first, and leave that gun alone.Or does the recoil remind you of sex, old man?
Last edited by katastrofa on January 26th, 2014, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DevonFangs

January 27th, 2014, 8:28 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: bearishdeclaring one's religious activities on a resume, which is surprisingly widespread.It's not? I haven't seen a single CV like that.Back to the hunting thing, I was being ironic -- bad idea to put on resume

katastrofa

January 27th, 2014, 9:15 am

If you want to be allowed to leave the office early on Friday, best thing is to claim to be an Orthodox Jew.

farmer

January 27th, 2014, 11:23 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaWhy did you get married, if it's so painful to you that you need to hurt animals to let off steam after talking to your wife? This (and your other posts) suggests to me that your marriage is in a pretty bad shape. Maybe you should fix that first, and leave that gun alone.Why does one get a mortgage or pay taxes? There are many types of unpleasantness to which a man must submit, many contracts, many burdens and responsibilities, even though he may long to be king. I guess you would recommend to everyone to not get a job, if some of the tasks can be wearying, and if he may need to unwind after work.It is sad to see someone so confused about the different nature of animals and men. Forest animals are not individuals like men, perhaps you could understand them as leaves on a tree.

katastrofa

January 27th, 2014, 1:10 pm

Hah, but they are.

BramJ

January 27th, 2014, 1:32 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsQuoteOriginally posted by: bearishdeclaring one's religious activities on a resume, which is surprisingly widespread.It's not? I haven't seen a single CV like that.Back to the hunting thing, I was being ironic -- bad idea to put on resumeAnd here I considered "+1"-ing your original reply. A lot of people seem to have very strong subjects on hunting. I couldn't care less about it either way (as long as it's done legally). I definitely do not think that you have to be mentally ill to hunt as seems to be the favorite argument winner here for some people (though I haven't seen any research supporting that statement and the first few results googling for a connection just got me sites from animal activists).I have seen a lot of resumes recently from entry level job seekers; it's just sad how uniform they are: everybody finished in the top 10% of their Ivy League school, was in an investment club, did well in the math olympiads and in his free time enjoys travelling and like to run for a workout. Nobody dares to be different. If somebody would put hunting on there, I would interpret this as the person being willing to going of the beaten path. I would also be assuming that such a person considered whether or not to put hunting on his resume and if you do this anyway, I think you show some courage and a willingness to provide a point of view that might not be liked by everybody. All of those would be positive points for me. Of course there might be a risk as well that somebody is just a mal-adapted weirdo. That's why you interview...Finally, from the point of view of a job seeker: the current market is definitely a buyers market, so anything that helps you stand out is probably good (I'm talking mostly entry level jobs here since for experienced hires relevant skills and experience trump most other things anyway), because the probability of you landing that front-office job you imagined you'd get when you started in university is close to zero anyway.

farmer

January 27th, 2014, 2:37 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaHah, but they are.Why does this crap always come from someone who has not left the inner city or seen a wild animal in years? You could, if you wanted, go live among these special snowflakes that are wild animals. But you choose to insulate yourself with miles of humanity for no good reason.

katastrofa

January 27th, 2014, 2:50 pm

Hah, I lived in the countryside for many years.

katastrofa

January 27th, 2014, 2:51 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: BramJQuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsQuoteOriginally posted by: bearishdeclaring one's religious activities on a resume, which is surprisingly widespread.It's not? I haven't seen a single CV like that.Back to the hunting thing, I was being ironic -- bad idea to put on resumeAnd here I considered "+1"-ing your original reply. A lot of people seem to have very strong subjects on hunting. I couldn't care less about it either way (as long as it's done legally).Would you put "carrying out evictions and seducing married people" as a hobby on your CV? Both are legal in most Western countries.
Last edited by katastrofa on January 26th, 2014, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

January 27th, 2014, 4:15 pm

Some variationsFox lamping (bring a torchlight)Fox hunting Badger hunting
Last edited by Cuchulainn on January 26th, 2014, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katastrofa

January 27th, 2014, 5:26 pm

Tooth extractionCadaver dissectionRacist jokes collecting

Cuchulainn

January 27th, 2014, 5:32 pm

Philately FortranCOBOL
Last edited by Cuchulainn on January 26th, 2014, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.